NHS Reform

SandyCromarty

16 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I think it is absolutely fair to ask the question: is the Health Secretary competent? 

The NHS is struggling, and many of the factors are outwith his control (rates of infection, cash levels) but many other things are within his power. Is he up to the job? Would someone else do better?

Not making a party political point because the crisis goes beyond that for now. The question is: is he the best we've got, or would someone else ease the crisis more quickly?

I wouldn't know but what I do know is that when opposition characters call habitually call for ministerial resignations, it makes the call cheap and them looking rather silly

1 minute ago, sophia said:

I wouldn't know but what I do know is that when opposition characters call habitually call for ministerial resignations, it makes the call cheap and them looking rather silly

I agree. Labour/Tories out scalp-hunting isn't any use to anybody. And if he were to quit or be moved on, they would try to claim some sort of win. 

24 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I think it is absolutely fair to ask the question: is the Health Secretary competent? 

The NHS is struggling, and many of the factors are outwith his control (rates of infection, cash levels) but many other things are within his power. Is he up to the job? Would someone else do better?

Not making a party political point because the crisis goes beyond that for now. The question is: is he the best we've got, or would someone else ease the crisis more quickly?

Yes, it is a fair question.

Who would you appoint in his place and what would you want them to do differently?

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Yes, it is a fair question.

Who would you appoint in his place and what would you want them to do differently?

No clue. This is kind of what I am asking - is there a better administrator that could do this? Or is he doing the best possible with what he has?

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

No clue. This is kind of what I am asking - is there a better administrator that could do this? Or is he doing the best possible with what he has?

I’d be surprised if there is anyone on here qualified to answer that.  Certainly those who have criticised him have been asked the question and failed to come up with an answer.

1 hour ago, StellarHibee said:

Tories back to banging the drum about 12 hour waiting times in Scotland with their faux outrage over 2,500 patients waiting over 12 hours.

Of course no mention of the figures being around 40,000 in England.

Usual deflection but I am here in Scotland and these figures affect me, I have no interest in what they are in England or Wales.  You would also be applauding your beloved leader yesterday when she proclaimed that she though the Health Secretary was doing a great job.  How deluded can you be.

58 minutes ago, Elric said:

Usual deflection but I am here in Scotland and these figures affect me, I have no interest in what they are in England or Wales.  You would also be applauding your beloved leader yesterday when she proclaimed that she though the Health Secretary was doing a great job.  How deluded can you be.

Considering it's the tory party and their dwindling number of acolyte's in Scotland who enjoy banging the drum over these statistics while offering no suggestions as to what they would do differently considering their worse record south of the border, it's beyond laughable to denounce these comparisons as mere "deflection".

The falling NHS standards in Scotland are quite clearly a reflection of issues impacting the UK as a whole. Yet despite this, it still continues to be the best ran National Health Service in the whole of the UK.

Those calling for Yousaf's head should be very careful what they wish for. He's the best health secretary in the UK.

Edited by StellarHibee

1 hour ago, Elric said:

Comparisons with other countries (not just in the UK but elsewhere) at least allows a measure of benchmarking, to see how well or how poorly we are doing in Scotland.

Two horrendous stories from the Sky News website

NHS nurse suffers miscarriage following five-hour wait in A&E

https://news.sky.com/story/nhs-nurse-suffers-miscarriage-following-five-hour-wait-in-a-e-12785092

Ambulance response times worst on record - and A&E waits hit new high

https://news.sky.com/story/nhs-england-waiting-lists-fall-slightly-for-first-time-since-may-2020-12784873

The NHS in England is a nightmare and it’s going to get worse before the next GE.  Pity. There’s no mechanism in our flawed democracy to force the Tories out now.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Two horrendous stories from the Sky News website

NHS nurse suffers miscarriage following five-hour wait in A&E

https://news.sky.com/story/nhs-nurse-suffers-miscarriage-following-five-hour-wait-in-a-e-12785092

Ambulance response times worst on record - and A&E waits hit new high

https://news.sky.com/story/nhs-england-waiting-lists-fall-slightly-for-first-time-since-may-2020-12784873

The NHS in England is a nightmare and it’s going to get worse before the next GE.  Pity. There’s no mechanism in our flawed democracy to force the Tories out now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60865799

and that was in March 2022.

Sturgeon today at FMQ basically calling whistle blowers liars and then mentioning unnecessary hospital admissions.  I would like to know who is admitted to hospital at this time when their admission is unnecessary.

3 minutes ago, Elric said:

Sturgeon today at FMQ basically calling whistle blowers liars and then mentioning unnecessary hospital admissions.  I would like to know who is admitted to hospital at this time when their admission is unnecessary.

There's an important distinction to be made here; the Scottish Government has made certain disastrous decisions on health policy in recent years, the results of which are being played out here.

The UK Government on the other hand has culpably embarked on a course of dismantling the Health Service as we know it, in favour of private ownership. 

1 minute ago, Elric said:

Didn't see that, but it sounds odd. Are you sure she wasn't talking about unnecessary attendances at A&E? 

People have been making improper use of many aspects of the NHS for years. In my presence a few years ago a pal of my brother phoned a hospital - yes, a hospital - to ask how long he should cook a chicken for because he had thrown the instructions in the bin and didn't want to risk touching "the juice" in case he caught a bug. 

Yes, there are idiots out there with trivial issues and nowadays they all think that THEIR question isn't trivial. 

19 minutes ago, Elric said:

If only Scotland had control of its own finances.  Then we would be in control of service levels and have a better chance of holding politicians to account due to our voting system.

On 10/01/2023 at 12:51, Granny Danger said:

I’d be surprised if there is anyone on here qualified to answer that.  Certainly those who have criticised him have been asked the question and failed to come up with an answer.

So why ask the question then?  I say we appoint Ian Rankin who has as many qualifications to fix the health service as the current incumbent. (For wee bully - I recognise that this is a silly answer but not as silly as the question)

Instead of asking questions to deflect from the state of the health service, why don't you give your opinion on how the current government have dealt with it over the past 15 years.  Could it be that outwith the "better than England" (we aren't) and "full economic levers"(we have failed to match England's increased health spending since 2014) that there are actually no excuses for how our government has not only allowed the NHS to fail but has itself failed to accept culpability.

Edited by strichener