NHS Reform

SandyCromarty

4 hours ago, strichener said:

It's equivalent to wanting rid of a football manager as he is shite.  It isn't the fans (nor taxpayers) responsibility to appoint a competent person or decide on the tactics.  However 18 months is clearly enough time to have an opinion on competence.  Just ask Aberdeen fans.

Cracking analogy. Just like those who treat political parties like football teams and vote for them on that basis alone.

Edited by StellarHibee

10 minutes ago, Crazy Days said:

Sunak, for all the good he is, at least has a meeting with NHS leaders today. Scottish Parliament resumes on Tuesday and the item on the agenda to be discussed is Independence.  Sturgeon showing what exactly her priorities rare..

Probably ensuring they all studied maths until 18. 

6 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

And with that awful analogy, I can see there is no point discussing it further with you.  Anyone who thinks running the NHS in Scotland is akin to managing Aberdeen is frankly an idiot. 

No anybody that thinks keeping a person in place when he is clearly incompetent is the idiot.  Let's be honest here, the guy has proved to be useless in every ministerial appointment he has had.

As for answering the question on who should replace them and what should be done differently, I am sure I have already answered this.  I can't help it if you don't understand why it doesn't fall to someone with no experience in government to put names forward for ministerial positions.  As for what to do differently, surely the answer is the opposite of whatever has been getting done as it is undoubtedly making the situation worse as I have already pointed out but which you have studiously ignored.

What makes the incumbent the right person to transform the NHS?

Edited by strichener

Yousaf is an idiot, but from a political standpoint the SNP are best at least letting him see out the winter before throwing him up as the sacrificial lamb. A change of health minister is going to achieve absolutely nothing in terms of NHS performance, I’m sure even his harshest critics will know that, so waiting until April before punting him is the clever move. 

I’m not convinced the SNP are ruthless or cynical enough to act like that though. Not with Yousaf at least, who has by any measure had a pretty inexplicable rise up the ranks. 

Edited by Paco

35 minutes ago, strichener said:

No anybody that thinks keeping a person in place when he is clearly incompetent is the idiot.  Let's be honest here, the guy has proved to be useless in every ministerial appointment he has had.

As for answering the question on who should replace them and what should be done differently, I am sure I have already answered this.  I can't help it if you don't understand why it doesn't fall to someone with no experience in government to put names forward for ministerial positions.  As for what to do differently, surely the answer is the opposite of whatever has been getting done as it is undoubtedly making the situation worse as I have already pointed out but which you have studiously ignored.

What makes the incumbent the right person to transform the NHS?

Well, that is frankly amazing.

What should be done is “the opposite of what ever is getting done”?  What does that mean?  Does that mean:

1. Refusing to negotiate with nurses?
2. Cutting rather than increasing new doctors training?
3. Removing the nurse training bursary?

What exactly do you mean?

Edited by Wee Bully

3 hours ago, Crazy Days said:

Sunak, for all the good he is, at least has a meeting with NHS leaders today. Scottish Parliament resumes on Tuesday and the item on the agenda to be discussed is Independence.  Sturgeon showing what exactly her priorities rare..

Was yesterday the 6th? Cos this happened. 

Nicola Sturgeon has chaired a meeting of the Scottish government's resilience committee to address pressures on health and social care services.

3 hours ago, Crazy Days said:

Hold the front page... "Party that favours independence want to keep discussing independence". 

Also, were there any fresh offers from Sunak to help settle THIS YEAR'S pay claim? Oh aye, I'm sure two minutes in the presence of Sunak and everyone will be back to work faster than you can say "modern slavery with Victorian overtones". 

On 07/01/2023 at 13:19, Wee Bully said:

And with that awful analogy, I can see there is no point discussing it further with you.  Anyone who thinks running the NHS in Scotland is akin to managing Aberdeen is frankly an idiot. 

I doubt even Yousaf would have been dumb enough to make Anthony Stewart captain. 

On 07/01/2023 at 20:19, Paco said:

Yousaf is an idiot, but from a political standpoint the SNP are best at least letting him see out the winter before throwing him up as the sacrificial lamb. A change of health minister is going to achieve absolutely nothing in terms of NHS performance, I’m sure even his harshest critics will know that, so waiting until April before punting him is the clever move. 

I’m not convinced the SNP are ruthless or cynical enough to act like that though. Not with Yousaf at least, who has by any measure had a pretty inexplicable rise up the ranks. 

Yes, it's always struck me that Yousaf has been on some kind of gilded path to the top. Not sure if shunting him to Health Sec. was an endorsement of his perceived talents to turn it around, or whether it was to get him cut down to size by taking on a poisoned chalice 😂

On 07/01/2023 at 20:49, Wee Bully said:

Well, that is frankly amazing.

What should be done is “the opposite of what ever is getting done”?  What does that mean?  Does that mean:

1. Refusing to negotiate with nurses?
2. Cutting rather than increasing new doctors training?
3. Removing the nurse training bursary?

What exactly do you mean?

That one is a beauty.  You obviously have no idea that the SNP cut medical school places and have exacerbated the issue of qualified professionals.  If the SNP had not carried out those cuts then we would have thousands more that would have now been qualified.  Who was the health minister at that time - Nicola Sturgeon.

As for the others -

number 3, I am not sure what point you are trying to make however since the bursary was increased in 2019 there has been an increase in 5% in nurses undergoing training.  The comparative figure for England is an increase of 17.5% so I am not sure that we are seeing any benefit from this additional investment in bursary funding.

number 1 - what negotiations is taking place with nurses?  The last I heard was that the Government were imposing the pay award on nurses.  Have there been new negotiations since then?

So we are investing money in nurses whilst at the same time reducing funding for GPs including a £5m reduction in sustainability payments last year and planned £65m of cuts going forward due to "reprioritisation".

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

I doubt even Yousaf would have been dumb enough to make Anthony Stewart captain. 

You give the him too much credit.

13 hours ago, strichener said:

That one is a beauty.  You obviously have no idea that the SNP cut medical school places and have exacerbated the issue of qualified professionals.  If the SNP had not carried out those cuts then we would have thousands more that would have now been qualified.  Who was the health minister at that time - Nicola Sturgeon.

https://www.bmj.com/content/379/bmj.o2646

13 hours ago, strichener said:

number 3, I am not sure what point you are trying to make however since the bursary was increased in 2019 there has been an increase in 5% in nurses undergoing training.  The comparative figure for England is an increase of 17.5% so I am not sure that we are seeing any benefit from this additional investment in bursary funding.

The comparative figure is £5000 in England, and £10,000 in Scotland. 

The point is that you said you would do the opposite of Yousaf. So, would you scrap the bursary and cut Doctors training numbers?  Or if you wouldn’t, what is it you would do differently? 

4 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

The comparative figure is £5000 in England, and £10,000 in Scotland. 

The point is that you said you would do the opposite of Yousaf. So, would you scrap the bursary and cut Doctors training numbers?  Or if you wouldn’t, what is it you would do differently? 

He’s made it clear that he won’t answer questions like that, far too difficult.

I think it is absolutely fair to ask the question: is the Health Secretary competent? 

The NHS is struggling, and many of the factors are outwith his control (rates of infection, cash levels) but many other things are within his power. Is he up to the job? Would someone else do better?

Not making a party political point because the crisis goes beyond that for now. The question is: is he the best we've got, or would someone else ease the crisis more quickly?