Dundee United vs Everyone’s Other Favourite Team

27 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Hide contents

I've put it in a spoiler because it's not nice to see but that looks like a career ender for a much younger keeper than Gordon.

I saw that pic earlier. Thats a David.Buust type injury.

Afraid to say that could be the end of CG at the top level.

Hope I am wrong, and good luck to him.

16 minutes ago, AJF said:

On the debate of the tackle itself, it is 100% dangerous play and a red card offence. You cannot lunge like that directly at a player with your legs lifted off the air no matter what position you play.

Any other player goes in like that people easily define them as being out of control of their body. The fact he was that high too.

Hopefully it’s not the last we see if Gordon, speedy recovery.

15 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

At this point I don't really gie a fcuk about not getting the peno - feel for Gordon hurting himself, but y'all mad if you don't think this is excessive force which endangers an opponent.

He's running full pelt, jumps in the air and turns his hip into Fletcher knowing full well he's going to collide with him.

I know keepers get away with murder, but ffs!

I try to be as objective as possible but I don't really get what you're seeing here. Lifting your knees close to your body to protect yourself is standard form for a keeper claiming an aerial ball around that height. He isn't sticking his limbs out in an unnatural way and he's near enough side-on to Fletcher with his knees deliberately angled away from him. In fact, all his actions are consistent with him trying to minimise the impact of the collision. Colliding someone who's side on and has their feet off the ground is typically less dangerous than head-on with feet planted.

You don't see it with any other position on the park because claiming a a ball in the air with your hands is something no other position has to do.

The injuries happened because two players went into a 50/50 at pace. The danger there was not created by either player in particular. Both players were entitled to go for it and it's desperately unlucky that this is the outcome.

32 minutes ago, woolf said:

Been a brutal couple of games at Utd for Hearts this season,hopefully they get relegated.Will be a blessing.

You're as accurate with this as you are with the penalty call. Supporters from several other clubs have stated it was a Schumacher style challenge, where the referee got the decision wrong, but unfortunately Craig Gordon has sustained a serious injury.

It was a bad misjudgement by Gordon, one which I hope he recovers from.

Claiming it as Schumacher-esque is unnecessarily hyperbolic. I'm surprised it was turned over tbh, but he's pulled his knees up to try and protect himself, he's not trying to smash Fletcher.

Horrible injury, and genuinely worrying for him. Wish him all the best for a speedy recovery.

Halkett too, that worryingly looked quite innocuous which often results in bad injuries. 

Decent enough point. I'd have taken it before, and I think it'll do for a day's work.

Picking up more injuries is fucking infuriating though.

Hard to see Gordon coming back from that one, so at least we've got cover there. The two defensive injuries are a big worry though.

You can only push things so far with a weakened defence, and we're pushing our luck now.

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

Claiming it as Schumacher-esque is unnecessarily hyperbolic. I'm surprised it was turned over tbh, but he's pulled his knees up to try and protect himself, he's not trying to smash Fletcher.

Horrible injury, and genuinely worrying for him. Wish him all the best for a speedy recovery.

Halkett too, that worryingly looked quite innocuous which often results in bad injuries. 

Aye, I apologise for that, Craig Gordon was not trying to injure Fletcher. 

19 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I try to be as objective as possible but I don't really get what you're seeing here. Lifting your knees close to your body to protect yourself is standard form for a keeper claiming an aerial ball around that height. He isn't sticking his limbs out in an unnatural way and he's near enough side-on to Fletcher with his knees deliberately angled away from him. In fact, all his actions are consistent with him trying to minimise the impact of the collision. Colliding someone who's side on and has their feet off the ground is typically less dangerous than head-on with feet planted.

You don't see it with any other position on the park because claiming a a ball in the air with your hands is something no other position has to do.

The injuries happened because two players went into a 50/50 at pace. The danger there was not created by either player in particular. Both players were entitled to go for it and it's desperately unlucky that this is the outcome.

I need to respectfully disagree. Yes, keepers going up with their knees is fairly typical, the key word going up. Gordon was going towards the player with his knees up and off the ground. That’s the difference. When a keeper goes up the way, he isn’t directly lunging towards a player with his knees, whereas Gordon in this instance did.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

I need to respectfully disagree. Yes, keepers going up with their knees is fairly typical, the key word going up. Gordon was going towards the player with his knees up and off the ground. That’s the difference. When a keeper goes up the way, he isn’t directly lunging towards a player with his knees, whereas Gordon in this instance did.

Gordon was going for the ball as was Fletcher and Gordon got to the ball first, then the collision happened.

There was no malice on any players part and it wasn’t a penalty.

Gutted for Gordon as the guys an absolute legend and one of the  best goalkeepers we’ve had in Scotland 

Just now, Unleash The Nade said:

Gordon was going for the ball as was Fletcher and Gordon got to the ball first, then the collision happened.

There was no malice on any players part and it wasn’t a penalty.

Gutted for Gordon as the guys an absolute legend and one of the  best goalkeepers we’ve had in Scotland 

I don’t dispute both players were going for the ball nor do I believe there was any malice nor do I dispute Gordon got to the ball first. But it’s the way he has went for the ball that is dangerous, in my opinion.

Just now, AJF said:

I don’t dispute both players were going for the ball nor do I believe there was any malice nor do I dispute Gordon got to the ball first. But it’s the way he has went for the ball that is dangerous, in my opinion.

It’s difficult to jump with straight legs 

Also , it’s the way goalies jump when they’re going to catch ( and cradle ) the ball at chest height 

26 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

You're as accurate with this as you are with the penalty call. Supporters from several other clubs have stated it was a Schumacher style challenge, where the referee got the decision wrong, but unfortunately Craig Gordon has sustained a serious injury.

It was a bad misjudgement by Gordon, one which I hope he recovers from.

Schumacher 😂,fkn brilliant 

2 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

It’s difficult to jump with straight legs 

Also , it’s the way goalies jump when they’re going to catch ( and cradle ) the ball at chest height 

That’s kind of my point though, I’m not saying he has done anything deliberately and even if the way he has challenged for the ball is “natural”, in this circumstance it has endangered his opponent. We’re probably at an impasse and I don’t want to labour it too much given the unfortunate injury.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

But that's the thing. I don't think he was going towards Fletcher with his knees up. He jumps and turns to the side such that his knees are facing away from Fletcher before contact is made - side-on - AND he gets to the ball first. Fletcher runs full speed straight on for a ball that he doesn't get to. If he'd contested for the ball in a similar way to Fletcher then that's typically going to have a worse outcome.

Both players are entitled to go for it but it's a foul by Fletcher imo.