Dundee United vs Everyone’s Other Favourite Team

9 hours ago, Always Hearts said:

If you think that 12.1 is in play then both Gordon and Fletcher should have been sent off then as both used excessive force? Then a free kick to Hearts as our player actually played the ball? It’s not Gordon’s responsibility to pull out the challenge anymore than it’s Fletchers. Both went for it 100% and only had eyes on the ball.

It was simply, in my opinion, a really unfortunate accident. No intent or excessive force by either player. How the ref initially rushed to give that  as a penalty is actually a disgrace. He should have immediately been checking on the welfare of the two players involved, not rushing to the penalty spot. Absolute clown - anyone could see that was potentially career ending. Checking the players were okay as an absolute first priority,  then no cards for either player and free kick to Hearts was the only right sequence of events. The refs performance was laughably bad throughout.

What a horrible injury to happen at anytime, let alone the day before Christmas to a guy with young kids. Hope Craig gets home to see his kids on Christmas morning and he makes a quick and full recovery.

One player was off the ground and uncontrolled.

10 hours ago, DC92 said:

Some might have a point about goalkeepers getting away with stuff when they jump with their knees up and use it as an opportunity to stick one on their opponent, but that's clearly not the case here. He is turning away to REDUCE the impact of the incoming collision.

Look, I'm not saying Gordon was trying to hurt Fletcher as I very much doubt he was and look how it turned out anyway.

But, turning your hip into someone when you're hurtling into them in midair does not reduce the impact - you're hitting someone with your centre of mass with a completely inflexible and pretty fcuking solid part of your body.

I can understand why he did it - he saw the collision coming - but if Gordon doesn't jump into Fletcher like that, there wouldn't have been anything like the same level of force involved. 

Meanwhile, week by week you get fans screaming about incidents where studs tickle another player's leg and folk talk about career ending injuries when the players socks are barely scratched.

At the end of the day it's subjective, but to me yesterday showed the very definition of 'using excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent'.

All that said, I wish Gordon all the best - having broken my leg pretty badly playing fitba - I know what a c**t the recovery process is.

Just a very unfortunate collision imo.

2 Players fully committed to winning the ball fairly, but Gordon, if anything pulls out the challenge at the last second to brace for impact, resulting in him being in a body position that he doesn't have full control over. Unfortunately Fletcher is still fully committed and has caught Gordon's leg. 

I think if they both stayed committed, Fletcher would have been KO'd by Gordon's elbow or knee and Gordon would still have probably been kicked. 

Gordon pulling out of the challenge, probably saved Fletcher a nasty injury but resulted in his own one being a whole lot worse.

TBH, I think the argument about if it's a penalty or not fades into insignificance when a guy has just probably ended his career.

13 hours ago, DC92 said:

Fletcher, on the other hand, is running at speed for a ball he isn't getting. 

image.png.a06fed63d2bc6588106f330cf3bff62f.png

I looked up SPFL highlights for this and it doesn't appear to show the incident from what I can see.

First thing that image shows (or doesnt show) is the ball. It is nowhere to be seen. At all.

I presume it is at least at 3 or more feet off the ground at waist height and as you say Fletcher is going for a ball he "isn't getting".  There is more there (to me) than a 50 50.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

TBH, I think the argument about if it's a penalty or not fades into insignificance when a guy has just probably ended his career.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I don't think the referee even needed to give the penalty straight away anyway. In real time it was clearly a bad collision needing medical intervention and VAR was on hand had it turned out there was an open and shut case for a penalty, or even a red card for Fletcher.

Edited by captainkev

I think on balance giving a penalty on first viewing was understandable , but not giving a penalty after a VAR check is also understandable. The penalty Hearts did get was extremely soft, but there we are. None of it really matters in the greater scheme of things compared with the horrible injury to Craig Gordon. At his age there is a severe danger the injury will be career threatening. I wish him all the best for what it's worth.

23 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

At least let's keep this one out the courts this time lads, please?

Last time was a wee bit of a minter.

Don't worry, I think your relegation this season will be entirely down to how shite you are and not because anyone voted you out. 

10 hours ago, Lionel Logue said:

Don't worry, I think your relegation this season will be entirely down to how shite you are and not because anyone voted you out. 

So the same as any relegation then? The most shite team goes down. 

Glad that's been cleared up.

On 25/12/2022 at 00:28, Alert Mongoose said:

I'll be honest, I was fairly close in the stadium to the incident and that was what it looked like to me. I was surprised when he pointed to the spot as it just looked like a collision after a genuine 50/50.

Having watched it on the highlights since, I think both players were simply chasing the same ball. Fletcher actually had very little chance of catching it 

On 24/12/2022 at 21:20, Jammyp said:

50/50 with both entitled to go for the ball, however the one who doesn't win the ball commits the foul. 

Same with any challenge anywhere on the park. If you get there second and don't get the ball you are committing a foul.

Folk thinking it should be a pen are blinkered by the fact they just wanted a pen.

There was at least one example yesterday in the EPL where that is clearly incorrect.