Motherwell v Killie

40 minutes ago, Quitongo's Left Peg said:

Well that was weird.

Absolutely dreadful but a sending off and we suddenly turn into a decent football team. How Robbo didn't start is beyond me. 

To the positives... Don't think there's been a better goal scored than Polworth's and who knew (me) that Rory McKenzie should start every game for Kilmarnock?! However, if Motherwell can't see off a ten man Kilmarnock (especially this Kilmarnock team) then they're in big trouble. I can see why their fans are worried.

That is one way of looking at it. The other is that we were by far the better team 11v11. Had it stayed that way we probably would have won. But Killie had to go and get a man sent off.

I suspect that is now a tactic by opposition Managers. “Hey guys we are 3-0 down to Motherwell with 5 minutes left. Somebody break a leg and get a red card”. That was a great 4-3 win and comeback.

Once the red mist clears. It was a decent performance up to the red card. Killie did not look good tonight. Getting Lafferty back may be key for them. But apart from self destructing I take solace in the fact that Killie did look to me a poorer side all told. 

9 minutes ago, welldaft said:

That is one way of looking at it. The other is that we were by far the better team 11v11. Had it stayed that way we probably would have won. But Killie had to go and get a man sent off.

I suspect that is now a tactic by opposition Managers. “Hey guys we are 3-0 down to Motherwell with 5 minutes left. Somebody break a leg and get a red card”. That was a great 4-3 win and comeback.

Once the red mist clears. It was a decent performance up to the red card. Killie did not look good tonight. Getting Lafferty back may be key for them. But apart from self destructing I take solace in the fact that Killie did look to me a poorer side all told. 

I'd have said the same after the win against Motherwell earlier in the season.

Motherwell tonight took the lead after being the better of two bad sides and then doubled it after some hoachin' defending. I'd be more worried about conceding two goals to ten men after that and then not being able to break down a team with Rory McKenzie at left back.

Motherwell are bang in the relegation fight along with us, County and Dundee United and it's going to be January that decides who will go down.

Edited by Quitongo's Left Peg

Panic button pressed. There are lots of things wrong, which is normal for a bottom half team but the fact that we can't get the expected result in games where we are in control is a big, glaring relegation signifier.

This was probably even worse than the ten man debacle at Tynecastle in that Hearts are a decent team - Killie were poor tonight and so it took a special effort for us to chuck away a situation that would have the leading team see it out pretty much every time.

Both goals for us were weird in that they came from nowhere - and I did enjoy Slattery sensibly pushing Shields out of the way for the 2nd (the fact he saw the 90 mins out is a testament to the state of our squad).

Some hit from Polworth - nice to see his wife join the celebrations.

Edited by Swello

2nd  game in a row when Killies finishing 11 (or 10 in this case) end up better than the starting 11, with the subs making all the difference.

How McKenzie, Polworth and Robinson didn't start the game I don't know, but they made some difference .

Poor, flat, 1st half from Killie with the obligatory cheap goal thrown in.Good character to dig in with 10 men and what a strike by Polworth.

Agree that had Well flooded the midfield with a man advantage they should have been able to see it out though.

2 minutes ago, Jedi said:

2nd  game in a row when Killies finishing 11 (or 10 in this case) end up better than the starting 11, with the subs making all the difference.

How McKenzie, Polworth and Robinson didn't start the game I don't know, but they made some difference .

Poor, flat, 1st half from Killie with the obligatory cheap goal thrown in.Good character to dig in with 10 men and what a strike by Polworth.

Agree that had Well flooded the midfield with a man advantage they should have been able to see it out though.

Polworth didn't start because against Hearts he was absolutely dreadful. Worse than a man down. McKenzie should always start and I think Robinson just isn't ready to be in the starting eleven yet.

Polworth wasn't great against Hearts, but he is a bit up and down.. Still better than Donnelly though..

Agree about McKenzie, and yes, Robinson maybe not fit enough for 90 mins just yet 

Got a point, feels worse than a loss because with a loss in a shitty slugfest you can put it down exactly to that. St Mirren had to to deal with that on opening day from us.

However, to come away questioning the toughness, nouse and mental fortitude of a team with 20 games left is as far from a "dust ourselves down and start again" scenario as you can get.

We need to find two gems in January.

9 hours ago, Quitongo's Left Peg said:

Motherwell are bang in the relegation fight along with us, County and Dundee United and it's going to be January that decides who will go down.

Nobody disagreeing with that. Certainly not me. Would not rule out Hibs or St Mirren just yet. See how their results pan out over the next month or so.

For large parts of games we often look a capable decent side. For the other parts of games we are an utter gang. Defensively capable of absolute howlers each and every passing week.

Killie’s 1st goal was a thing of beauty. The art of defending the Motherwell way. Leaving aside McGinns comical header backwards into his own net. The lead up was literally hilarious. Special mention to Agent ODonnell who clearly wanted his old team to get a result. How else can you explain his sideways pass in the box to the Killie player. 

Ignite Set It Off GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by welldaft

6 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Good* to see P&B's Kilmarnock poster of the year and Ayrshire's worst fraudster make a return to the forum.

*Absolutely awful

I know. How dare someone atone for their mistakes and then make a comment about their team on an internet forum. Madness.