Craig Gordon

Wish the man all the best in his recovery and hope to see him back on the park for the football send off he deserves. 

Seen him pull off some wonderful saves against Livi in recent years. Always seemed a decent guy on camera. It really seemed like he could continue playing at that level for a few years yet.

Edited by crispy

58 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He was my favourite player growing up just as I started getting into football/going to Scotland games. The fact he managed to get another eight years and 20-odd Scotland caps (including getting to a major tournament) out of career when it seemed over is a great comeback story. 

Same for me, he was breaking into the Scotland team around the time I got properly into football and he was my favourite non-Airdrie player for a good few years. That feels like a long time ago now, so for him to still be going strong these days after the injuries he’s had is a phenomenal achievement. As others have said, a genuinely top class keeper at his best.

I'm properly gutted about this. I don't even care about the result today.

Obviously it's a huge blow for our season, but that's not even my concern just now. I'm just gutted that's probably the last I'll see of someone who's been around almost since the start of my football-watching life and who's almost certainly the best Hearts player of my lifetime. 

As others have said, it is genuinely nice to see the #respect from fans of other clubs. There can't be many players around these days who'd elicit a similar reaction.

3 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Although different injuries, another Scottish goalkeeping great nearing or over his 40s in Jim Leighton had an inauspicious end to his career being carried off the pitch with serious injury.

In the first minutes of a Scottish cup final no less.

Aberdeen had to stick Robbie Winters in goals that day I think and Rangers absolutely pounded them. IIRC It prompted a rule change from 3 subs in Scotland to 5 including one keeper to prevent such a nonsensical thing happening again.

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Unreal. That one and as much as I dislike the guy, David Seaman's save from a Paul Peschisolido (I think) header in the FA Cup semi final against Sheffield Utd are the two best saves I've ever seen. 

Those two and Coupet's are the top 3 of all time for me.

Devastated for him and a massive blow for us hearts and Scotland fans, he is a legend at hearts and probably the only player I have  seen play for my club who is geniunely world class, at his peak I believe he could have got a move to one of the top english sides, there was geniune rumored interest from man utd and Chelsea before his long term injury. I wish him all the best in his recovery and really hope he can come back again next season 😢 🙏 😔 

My first two memories of Craig Gordon are:

He suddenly (it seemed) appeared from nowhere to play against Bordeaux (I think) away from home, which was live on the BBC. I remember trying to see if it was the big Finnish keeper that had played against us at Pittodrie and then realised it was a kid.

Then, I'm not sure if it was his debut for Scotland, but Scotland were playing Slovenia (I think) and it ended up 0-0 but I was in the pub watching it on the big screen and I remember thinking Gordon look petrified but he must've got through fine if he kept a clean sheet.

Was watching the game and at the time thought he was possibly badly winded, when he was stretched off with the big boot over his leg you knew something wasn't right and the pictures afterwards proved that right. Don't think in any way Fletcher done anything wrong but it looks like an unfortunate and horrific injury which you'd hope he can overcome. Some of the shite posts on Twitter show just how bad humanity can be at times.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Was so close to being genuinely world class back in the day. Sunderland was never, ever going to be his last step on the ladder if not for some rancid luck.

I hope he can bounce back but the nature of the injury and time probably means that it's the end of the road for him. 

Tremendous goalie. One of the two best the country has ever produced.

I think it's easy to forget just how good he was around 2007-08, with how long he spent not playing after that and how he was still very good but not at the same level once he was at Celtic. At that point in time he was certainly one of the top 10 goalkeepers in the world and would have been moving to a team levels above Sunderland if he hadn't been hit with the injuries.

His post injury career consisting of "very good Scottish Premiership goalkeeper but has some clangers with the ball at his feet and isn't necessarily first choice for Scotland" has obscured the memory of how ridiculously good he was pre-injury.

Fantastic keeper for both club and country.

Would have went to the very top of not for injuries.

Would love to see him get back for a proper send off, hopefully he can.

Sad to see some of the vile comments on social media.

Vast majority of posters on here have more class though with the odd idiot being the exception.

15 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

My first two memories of Craig Gordon are:

He suddenly (it seemed) appeared from nowhere to play against Bordeaux (I think) away from home, which was live on the BBC. I remember trying to see if it was the big Finnish keeper that had played against us at Pittodrie and then realised it was a kid.

Then, I'm not sure if it was his debut for Scotland, but Scotland were playing Slovenia (I think) and it ended up 0-0 but I was in the pub watching it on the big screen and I remember thinking Gordon look petrified but he must've got through fine if he kept a clean sheet.

He got away with one shot which rattled the post and rebounded back into his arms, I remember that.

I am genuinely heartbroken by this, if it turns out as bad as we all fear. Absolutely love the big guy, and I saw what was his 2nd? 3rd? ever professional match when he got Collin Samuel'd on that glorious Brockville day.

dont know if any footage will survive of it but i mind we had a televised cup tie against Hearts ages ago, we lost it 2-1 and they had a man sent off. Sure we had a free kick struck at goal that deflected and looked for all the world like it was going in but he clawed it away anyway, genuinely one of the best saves ive ever seen a keeper make.

edit: best i can find

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/hearts-2-partick-thistle-1-flashy-gordon-stars-as-hearts-thwart-thistle-6108189.html

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

19 hours ago, Tynie Bagstock said:

Sad to see some of the vile comments on social media.

FWIW, every Hibs fan I know agrees with you.

There are some people who I am convinced dont think what they post on social media has an impact - but it does, because it normalises (in their tiny minds) horrible statements which they wouldnt get away with in public.

Gordon seems one of lifes good guys, fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Absolutely horrific injury to Craig Gordon. Wish him all the best in his recovery. He's been a wonderful keeper for Hearts, Sunderland and Celtic and Scotland.

As for the handful of idiots on social media, they are best ignored.