Calling All Floodlight Fans

On 08/01/2023 at 08:35, Andy groundhopper said:

Cant beat games under the lights, a different atmosphere. Despite the increased costs , a shame that midweek games are a rarity in Scotland (all levels)ย 

You wouldnโ€™t be speaking personally of course Andy ๐Ÿ˜‚

Actually I can usually find a game Tuesday/weds in my neighbourhood whether itโ€™s Penicuik, Spartans, Musselburgh, Tranent, no use to you groundhoppers of courseโ€ฆ and then youโ€™ve got the Cowden fans complaining that thereโ€™s too many midweeks in the LL.ย 
But if weโ€™ve got smaller leagues of 30/34 games compared to down south then weโ€™ll have mainly Saturdays. But then the lights get used on a Saturday anyway at this time of year.

Novelty fact: in 1950s & 1960s there were actually 2 competing styles called floodlighting and drenchlighting or 'drenchliting' - latter involved angling the head not the lamps, was produced in Scotland, and when installed elsewhere was sometimes known simply as the 'Scottish system'.

e.g.ย Dalymount in Dublin:

ย  ย  ย drenchlighting-e1570896331116.jpeg?w=518

Nowadays they're all called 'floodlights'.

This is a floodlight:

image.png.9e8be8da9ac25fa40d3b6b6d65b3ce4a.png

This is a drenchlight:

image.png.9a3ccb9745c2f0c92f1a6b4167d88b6c.png

Palmerston's iconic pylons are actually drenchlights:

EMYObeQWoAAcxhY?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by HibeeJibee

21 hours ago, The Mantis said:

You wouldnโ€™t be speaking personally of course Andy ๐Ÿ˜‚

Actually I can usually find a game Tuesday/weds in my neighbourhood whether itโ€™s Penicuik, Spartans, Musselburgh, Tranent, no use to you groundhoppers of courseโ€ฆ and then youโ€™ve got the Cowden fans complaining that thereโ€™s too many midweeks in the LL.ย 
But if weโ€™ve got smaller leagues of 30/34 games compared to down south then weโ€™ll have mainly Saturdays. But then the lights get used on a Saturday anyway at this time of year.

Im not a usual groundhopper, i just love the game soย  most times based in Glasgow so id love midweek games - public transport reliant on my holidays. Hope i get a few in February then, fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Im not a usual groundhopper, i just love the game soย  most times based in Glasgow so id love midweek games - public transport reliant on my holidays. Hope i get a few in February then, fingers crossed.

Cheers Andy. Wasn't having a pop, in fact a couple of emojis seem to have disappeared from my post... fair do's if you come all that way and even repeat grounds, met plenty saddos who won't visit a ground twice. Scottish fitba must have something going for it then...

I lived in the housing scheme up hill from Broomfield Park. It was a wonderful sight to see the floodlights for any midweek night time game, on my walk down ,and back up afterwards. It was particularly true in the Texaco Cup years with marvellous games against Huddersfield, Manchester City and one of the earliest penalty kick deciders over Nottingham Forest. The Diamond looked even better in those bright lights.The new stadium, whatever name it has , does not have the same feel.ย 

On 05/01/2023 at 19:25, Richey Edwards said:

I quite like floodlights. Night-time football would be pretty shite without them.

As much as I love our floodlights, I'd argue the football would be better to view at Palmerston at night with the lights off...

• 2 months later...
On 10/01/2023 at 19:09, Chapelhall chap said:

I lived in the housing scheme up hill from Broomfield Park. It was a wonderful sight to see the floodlights for any midweek night time game, on my walk down ,and back up afterwards. It was particularly true in the Texaco Cup years with marvellous games against Huddersfield, Manchester City and one of the earliest penalty kick deciders over Nottingham Forest. The Diamond looked even better in those bright lights.The new stadium, whatever name it has , does not have the same feel.ย 

Scary part of that is i was at the Manchester City game.

Edited by PossilYM

• 5 months later...