Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’m sure there’s some website over there that just charges Americans to tell them they have Scottish and Irish ancestry even when they don’t. I’ve been to Philadelphia and New York and genuinely 90% of the waiters, hotel staff, taxi drivers etc. will excitedly start rhyming off family names and clans and naming towns in Scotland and Ireland. They think it’s still some mythical land filled with castles and palaces. It’s probably just as well most of them don’t bother coming over. What a shock they would get landing at Glasgow Airport and getting the train in to the city from Paisley Gilmour Street. 

There’s a secret longing for some family history besides Billy Bob hunting squirrels in the woods during the Great Depression. The real pisser is every time someone does a genetic search, they find out the family they thought they belonged to is their real one cause great-granny Smith was knocked up by Mr. Jones instead. There’s also a fascination with a “British” accent (which subsumes all of English/Scots/Irish/Welsh…and often South African and Australian)…the fun bit is the class assumptions made depending upon the variety of the accent. A “proper” English accent is catnip to many women, and makes them think of all the posh English men they’ve seen on movies and shows. A “Scot” will be viewed as more directly comparable, classwise, and they love chatting to them, even when they really need an interpreter…“Irish” is a bit more mixed, but generally like a Scot…”Welsh” just confuses them as they have no idea where Wales is…much like 26% of them think the world is flat.

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I enjoy finding out this kind of stuff. The way languages, and even accents, have been influenced by migration throughout history is something I find interesting. You can see how the Irish who settled in Liverpool have affected that dialect, and also how the Scots who immigrated to Ulster have influenced their language even to this day. The north east coast and places like the Shetlands have language with obvious roots in Scandinavia too. It’s fascinating how language evolves with so many different factors playing their part over a long period of time. 

'Wick' means "an inlet or small, and mostly open, bay" in old Norse.

This is why you see quite few places with 'wick' in their name up north and in Shetland and Orkney (such Lerwick, Gulberwick, Sandwick, Skelwick etc).

10 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's a menage, French. A group collecting and distibuting money on an informal basis.

Minodge is a variation on that.

" That boot has stolen the fucking minodge money."

"Is that Oz lassie collecting money for the Highland dance?"

"Aye, she's Ceilidh Minodge..."

17 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I enjoy finding out this kind of stuff. The way languages, and even accents, have been influenced by migration throughout history is something I find interesting. You can see how the Irish who settled in Liverpool have affected that dialect, and also how the Scots who immigrated to Ulster have influenced their language even to this day. The north east coast and places like the Shetlands have language with obvious roots in Scandinavia too. It’s fascinating how language evolves with so many different factors playing their part over a long period of time. 

I worked in NI when I was 20 and at least once every other day was asked where about in Ballymena I was from. Apparently i sounded like a Ballymena Scot.

"I found it at Bruce's"

"Woolies"

Calling Ibrox "Castle Greyskull" (yes, I know)

"I pity the fool" "BA, drink this milk" "I love it when a plan comes together"

A lot of Half Man Half Biscuit's song titles will be obscure to the young 'uns: "Fucking Hell, it's Fred Titmus", "Dicky Davies Eyes", "I hate Nerys Hughes"

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

"I found it at Bruce's"

"Woolies"

Calling Ibrox "Castle Greyskull" (yes, I know)

"I pity the fool" "BA, drink this milk" "I love it when a plan comes together"

A lot of Half Man Half Biscuit's song titles will be obscure to the young 'uns: "Fucking Hell, it's Fred Titmus", "Dicky Davies Eyes", "I hate Nerys Hughes"

Half Man Half Biscuit. Timeless observational genius.