Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Q. What’s pink and takes 3 days to drink?

A. A grant cheque.

Hide contents

anybody remember grant cheques?

It was a long time ago but I think mine was for £314. I deposited it in The Royal Bank of Scotland in Renfield Street. That branch is of course ancient history. My younger lad is now dealing with his student loan. Strange world.

On 01/07/2023 at 13:58, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Q. What’s pink and takes 3 days to drink?

A. A grant cheque.

Hide contents

anybody remember grant cheques?

£37 paid in 3 instalments.  Meanwhile rich farmer's daughter got thousands because daddy bought a subsidised combine harvester.

Jacked the course  after 1 year because of the drain on my parents income.

Edited by Loonytoons

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/05/2023 at 03:42, BillyAnchor said:

I'm not searching through 36 pages so apologies if a repost.  Is the expression Up to high Doe ever used any more?

It's "up to high doh" as it relates to the highest note of the singing scale (doh ray me fah...etc) rather than a female deer that's been on the wacky baccy.

Youngsters don't use any phrases anymore that aren't provided via Americanised social media. 

On 01/04/2023 at 17:14, Tony Ferrino said:

In the morn's morn. 

Tomorrow.

My gran used to say that, she was from Beith

She also  finished every sentence with Ken , very confusing for a youngster from Dunbartonshire whose name isn’t Kenneth

29 minutes ago, Sonsrock said:

My gran used to say that, she was from Beith

She also  finished every sentence with Ken , very confusing for a youngster from Dunbartonshire whose name isn’t Kenneth

Both I would say are largely fife sayings.     The accents are very different but the way language moves between mining areas is very interesting 

It's a while since I lived in Fife.  Do those raised there still precede some expressions of appreciation or alarm with a kind of prefix "sha'?"

Examples that come to mind are ""sha-heid", "sha-boy-sur" and my favourite "sha'hoor".

I'm in my 60s, and remember these from being at Stark's Park but it's quite a while since I've been. Do the younger folk still use these or is it just the old codgers like me?

Happy days...

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It's a while since I lived in Fife.  Do those raised there still precede some expressions of appreciation or alarm with a kind of prefix "sha'?"

Examples that come to mind are ""sha-heid", "sha-boy-sur" and my favourite "sha'hoor".

I'm in my 60s, and remember these from being at Stark's Park but it's quite a while since I've been. Do the younger folk still use these or is it just the old codgers like me?

Happy days...

sha ***, sha bandit et al 

Used to like the confusion caused when I lived in England and said "Hey sir, get yer arse over here"

Edited by Newbornbairn

16 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Happy days...

I mind visiting my auntie in Fife and her greeting me with "You'll have had your hole?".