Super Wildcard Weekend

lichtie23

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Nah, It's the Chargers. Until they are 30+ clear it's not close to being over.

6 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Yeah, going to go out on a limb and say even the chargers can't f**k this from 24-0 up. Bed and I await a slew of notifications in a few hours if I'm wrong. 

Unreal stuff! 

The only way Sean Payton is the Chargers coach for 2023 is if there's an announcement on Monday or Tuesday that Staley is out the door and Telesco has been binned along with him.

It's just not the Chargers way to fire coaches in a reactionary manner, and Payton won't coach this team while Telesco is still in-situ as GM. Spanos' normal M.O. is to persist with garbage coaches right up until they are a week or two away from their contracts expiring, then announce that they are leaving anyway, or to sit around uhming and ahhing while calling it a 'period of reflection' while everyone else is busy hiring up the talent.

It's as likely at this point that Staley is back for 2023, which would be completely indefensible, or the Chargers end up making a desperation hire like Lovie Smith some time in late February.

The story of how Staley landed this job is quite some tale and sums the Spanos/Telesco clown troupe up. They had followed their usual M.O. of whittling down the candidate pool to 4 or 5 scheduled interviews. Staley was seen as very much a left-field 'make up the numbers' candidate. They were due to interview him in the first part of the week, and Brian Daboll in the later part. Staley did his interview and left with a contract agreed, they didn't even bother going through with the Daboll interview and cancelled it.

Spanos has a reputation for being tight with money, or bizarrely, not wanting to win. There is absolutely no evidence of either. The truth is far more mundane. He, and his sons, are just completely and utterly incompetent when it comes to evaluating F.O. and coaching staff.

And it turns out that the Monday press availability has already been announced as 'open locker room', with no Staley press conference scheduled as would be the norm.

Either he's out on his ear, or they are being totally chickenshit and 'protecting' him from scrutiny similar to what happened when he vanished after the Week 3 Jaguars farce. They held a players only post-game and the coaching staff ran for the hills.

2 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Just seen the score. It was 27-0 when I stopped watching. That's some Falcons/Colts style collapse there.

No, it's a Chargers collapse, trust me. If you've been a long-tenured Chargers fan this is no shock or surprise whatsoever. It's not even the worst embarrassing collapse there's been since 2006. We we're laughing at the Falcons in that SB because we thought they'd picked up the Chargers' mantle, but it turns out it's very much still in situ.

There's a reason why 'Chargering' became a thing, similar to 'Hibsing', and it's never gone away just hidden itself for a bit.

The Marlon McCree game is still an order of magnitude worse than this, because that was a game the Chargers had no business losing in any manner, yet they still managed it after kicking the shit out of Brady and the Pats for 60 minutes. They also blew a 24 point half-time lead over the Broncos that completely took the wind out of their sails and killed the season. This game was always a toss-up, and a 1 point Jags win isn't a shock, even if the manner of how the game played out is still completely inexcusable from a Chargers perspective.

9 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Yeah, going to go out on a limb and say even the chargers can't f**k this from 24-0 up. Bed and I await a slew of notifications in a few hours if I'm wrong. 

Well then. 

Always say people are far too quick to call NFL games over but that looked for all the world like that Cleveland vs Pittsburgh game from a few years ago where the Browns were 28-0 up in no time and even though the Steelers came back a bit the gap was too big even for the Browns to blow . 

Selfishly I'm OK with it happening as I felt there would be at least one stupid game this weekend and don't want it to be the Bills losing to the Dolphins 3rd string QB, though that of course could still happen. 

Edited by Fuctifano

10 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Nah, It's the Chargers. Until they are 30+ clear it's not close to being over.

9 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I sacked it and went to bed after pick number 4. 😂

Edited by peasy23

44 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Well then. 

Always say people are far too quick to call NFL games over but that looked for all the world like that Cleveland vs Pittsburgh game from a few years ago where the Browns were 28-0 up in no time and even though the Steelers came back a bit the gap was too big even for the Browns to blow . 

Selfishly I'm OK with it happening as I felt there would be at least one stupid game this weekend and don't want it to be the Bills losing to the Dolphins 3rd string QB, though that of course could still happen. 

I honestly couldn't see any way that the Jags were going to get back into it, no idea what Lawrence was seeing but it certainly wasn't open recievers or opposing defenders. Fair play to him for turning that around in the second half.

The game totally swung on that ridiculous jet sweep/fake jet sweep call on the 3rd & inches. It completely switched the momentum, and from that point on the Chargers D played flat and lifeless and the O never seriously looked like scoring again. When the Jags scored that TD right before the half I was immediately struck by the fact that there wasn't a single Chargers player on the field who looked angry, remonstrated with anyone, or showed any frustration. I doubt they were thinking 'here we go...' because there was honestly no reason to, but they were noticeably flat and played that way the rest of the night. It's almost as if they were dejected about something other than the score itself. Also noticeable that when Bosa was busy throwing his tantrum, he launched his helmet, Staley picked it up and handed it to him, and he immediately launched it again. It looks a lot like the players felt the game was being taken away from them by their own coaches decisions, although Bosa was clearly furious at being grabbed and held repeatedly without it ever being called.

From an Athletic article, on the 3rd down call -

Herbert said after the game that offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi called an interior run with a “kill” built in for this third down. The kill, or audible, was a jet sweep end around. All week, the Chargers had been practicing that jet sweep play with receiver DeAndre Carter as the handoff man, according to Herbert. Carter was already filling in for Mike Williams, who suffered a back fracture in the Chargers’ meaningless Week 18 loss at the Broncos. At this stage of the second quarter, though, Carter was out of the game with an ankle injury, so Michael Bandy, a former undrafted free agent who started the season on the practice squad, was in at Carter’s spot.

Herbert got to the line and saw a Jaguars front aligned to stop an interior run. Based on this look, Herbert killed the initial play, checking to the jet sweep. Herbert took the snap and turned to hand off to Bandy, who was running in motion from right to left. Bandy was not even looking for a handoff. He was not aware of the kill, Herbert said. They fumbled the exchange. Bandy recovered, but the Chargers were forced to punt. And Trevor Lawrence engineered a 53-yard touchdown drive on the ensuing possession to put the Jaguars on the scoreboard heading into the break.

The jet sweep handoff call from Lombardi was an asinine decision in the first place, even if Carter had been in the game. The Chargers have run four jet sweeps to Carter this season. He has gained a combined -21 yards — note the negative sign in front of that number — on those four touches.

Beyond that, Bandy playing meaningful snaps in a playoff game is an indictment of this entire organization. Bandy earned his practice squad spot with a fine training camp. And my intention is not to pile on a hard-working player who has made some meaningful contributions this season. But a team trying to win a Super Bowl has to do better. Williams would have been on the field if Staley had just rested his starters in Week 18. And general manager Tom Telesco should have added more receiving talent this past offseason. Perhaps a speed threat who, you know, could thrive in that type of lateral rushing concept

The 'audible out of an inside run into a front designed to stop it' part is fine. What I'm fucking angry at is the 'run the ball parallel to the LoS in an inches to go situation' part, and especially when that involves handing it off to a guy who 1. Hasn't practiced the play, and 2. plays a position where he never takes hand-offs at speed anyway.

It's an idiotic playcall in those circumstances, the fact that it was installed as an audible beggars belief. Like 'shit, we're in trouble, how can we make it worse for ourselves?'. Lombardi through and through.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Watched this one back this morning without checking the score, and was very close to just patching it during the 2nd Quarter. Maybe I would have if it wasn’t the Chargers.

It doesn’t matter what dunce is the Head Coach or what superstar is the Quarterback - the Chargers just find new and spectacular ways to lose games/seasons every single year.

It really is a truly special trait they possess. Like “Hibsing it” on steroids.

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

They also blew a 24 point half-time lead over the Broncos that completely took the wind out of their sails and killed the season. This game was always a toss-up, and a 1 point Jags win isn't a shock, even if the manner of how the game played out is still completely inexcusable from a Chargers perspective.

That game will always have a special place I’m my heart. I watched it on my laptop on the bbc website as my wife was giving birth to our daughter. She had been given her epidural and fell asleep just as the game started. Thankfully fourth valley was a new hospital and had great Wi-Fi.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Didn't watch last night, so imagine my delight at waking up this morning to discover both the Chargers AND Pete Carroll out on their respective arses.

lips-are-sealed-picard.gif

Thanks for the draft picks 

Star Trek GIF