Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?  

306 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

These would be the two key things for me if it was Hearts considering hiring him or someone similar.

The wage would be huge, or why is he there? So, does that affect the rest of the playing budget? If so, it's a pointless exercise. Especially as your second point is on the money. Nobody thinks Robbie Neilson is a great coach, yet he's had two cup finals and is on course for back-to-back third places. All because recruitment is very good at Hearts.

If I were an Aberdeen fan, I'd be keen to see the money spent on player recruitment, both in terms of infrastructure and wages, rather than a head coach. I'd rather see the big wages go to a good DoF.

I like Wilder, and I think he'd be a great appointment, but it all hinges on what the side costs and sacrifices are.

Agreed you are better investing in the infrastructure and recruitment than breaking the bank on a ‘big name’ manager. If you use hearts as an example, if you do recruitment well and have a settled structure above the first team, then you don’t need to employ pep guardiola to be successful.

Neilson isn’t anything special but give him a good set of players and he can make them into a cohesive unit, get them playing something close to their potential, be the public face of the club and react to in-game events as they occur. 

That’s what you want really, if neilson were to leave then the whole thing doesn’t fall apart. 

Fundamentally though, returning to wilder, I just don’t believe you want a manager who sees us as a step down or that he’s doing us some sort of favour. 

3 hours ago, O_Kahn said:

Robson does have excellent teeth these days, which could be an advantage in the eyes of one key decision maker on the Football Monitoring Board.

Robson - you might get Cormacked Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack demands date for new Scottish season ...

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

He's some way from the League One circus yet. Boro was fine, and he just suffered the usual Championship thing of not being allowed a bad few months. The previous season he'd stabilised them after a poor start and they weren't far from the play-offs. There's no way that's damaged him enough after Sheffield United to make him unattractive to good Championship clubs. Most of my mates who support Championship teams would be chuffed to have him. He'll get back in.

It's possible that he may be attracted by a cup and Europe, but given that Aberdeen have won one trophy this century and are in the bottom half of the league, I don't think he'll be hanging his future on it.

We don't know his personal situation, but Aberdeen is a long way from home for him. More so for a job that is of almost no value to him in terms of improving his career prospects. It cannot be stressed enough that success in Scotland will mean essentially nothing to good clubs in the Championship. Robbie Neilson got MK Dons. Derek McInnes ended up at fucking Killie, and he won a trophy. See any big clubs knocking down the door for Davidson? Wilder's already a contender for those jobs anyway, so he could only damage his prospects by going to Aberdeen. Why spend 2-3 years on that, unless they're going to pay him an absolute fortune.

There's a reasonable chance that in the next few months he'll get a job at one of Sunderland, Cardiff, Birmingham, QPR, Coventry, Hull, West Brom etc. The way the EFL is, any of those are possible. How does managing in Scotland outwith the OF advance his position?

The QPR, Cardiff and West Brom jobs have both come up since he left Middlesbrough and he's not taken any of those 3. So for all we know he wasn't even considered for them. 

There were rumours that Wilder was in Aberdeen this weekend. Not sure if it's true or not though. 

4 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

The QPR, Cardiff and West Brom jobs have both come up since he left Middlesbrough and he's not taken any of those 3. So for all we know he wasn't even considered for them. 

There were rumours that Wilder was in Aberdeen this weekend. Not sure if it's true or not though. 

For all we know he was.

No Championship watcher would be remotely surprised to see him at any of those clubs in the next few months. Sackings come round all the time. This is not a controversial statement.

On 31/01/2023 at 23:22, Ludo*1 said:

Love how this deadline day special of Sportsound has just turned into massively touting John Hughes for Aberdeen.

Unbelievable.

On 31/01/2023 at 23:32, Scorge said:

Yogi Hughes to turn those soft primadonnas into 'guid oanest luddies' - is it April 1st?

:lol:

On 31/01/2023 at 23:35, tarapoa said:

Close this thread - only one viable candidate according to the expert pundits on Sportsound.

image.png.f1550dea536a1bbf378dcef0eabcefc4.png

On 31/01/2023 at 23:46, YassinMoutaouakil said:

That was a genuinely mental ten minutes of radio. 

I saw this on the thread last week and thought it must be exaggerated.

But listening to it yesterday with him in the studio mutulating the English language was painful.  Who the f**k working at the bbc hears him speak and thinks “that guy, he’s the one. Offer him a grand for the afternoon and see if we can get him on board.”

He’s serious as well.  Absolutely sees himself as a rightful contender for the Aberdeen job. And what’s more, the morons around him went along with it. 

The world is fucking mental.

21 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

The QPR, Cardiff and West Brom jobs have both come up since he left Middlesbrough 

18 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

They all play in blue and white, so it's hard to keep track how many there are.

27 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I saw this on the thread last week and thought it must be exaggerated.

But listening to it yesterday with him in the studio mutulating the English language was painful.  Who the f**k working at the bbc hears him speak and thinks “that guy, he’s the one. Offer him a grand for the afternoon and see if we can get him on board.”

He’s serious as well.  Absolutely sees himself as a rightful contender for the Aberdeen job. And what’s more, the morons around him went along with it. 

The world is fucking mental.

I’m genuinely astonished that Hughes can look at what he’s done over the past five years and think it qualifies him for the job, nevermind to so publicly discuss his application. He’s some boy.

37 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

He only left Middlesbrough in October. It’s equally possible he wanted a few months break before another appointment or can’t join another championship club for e.g. six months as part of his Middlesbrough payoff.

FWIW, considering how much he’d cost and the fact you’d imagine he’d be looking to move back to an upper-end championship team fairly quickly, I’d prefer to look elsewhere. As others have noted, there’s better ways to invest the kind of outlay that would be involved.

1 hour ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

The rumours were mistaken identity apparently 😆

We need to get our heads round the fact there’s no way we could afford his salary even if he would consider talking to us. 

On 05/02/2023 at 19:03, Pete the Jakey said:

Scottish Media Old Boys Club in overdrive with Malky Mackay and Yogi Hughes being touted.  Surprised Dick Campbell hasn’t been mentioned yet, he’s another best pal of the pundits.

Have they mentioned Gordon Strachan yet?