Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?  

306 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Are there people genuinely thinking Grrard or Wilder would ever be financially viable?

Said earlier that Wilder would be brilliant. I'd be amazed if they could afford him though. It'd be a right wedge.

Still can't see what's in it for him to take it either. How does this job advance his career?

Edited by VincentGuerin

29 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Said earlier that Wilder would be brilliant. I'd be amazed if they could afford him though. It'd be a right wedge.

Still can't see what's in it for him to take it either. How does this job advance his career?

It certainly advances it from unemployed to employed.

37 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Could win a Scottish Cup and manage in Europe.

Is he ever likely to win a FA Cup or manage in Europe in England?

Its a stretch but you could see him thinking 2 great seasons at Aberdeen opens the door to a better job down there. Hes possibly slipping to League One standard jobs down there which is a shite league for managers.

46 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Robson would be a huge comedown from 'Handsome Jim'. While I always thought Goodwin was over-rated as a looker, Robson isn't even up for debate.

Aberdeen's dugout would be bottom six in terms of aesthetics.

Fitting, I suppose.

Robson does have excellent teeth these days, which could be an advantage in the eyes of one key decision maker on the Football Monitoring Board.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Could win a Scottish Cup and manage in Europe.

Is he ever likely to win a FA Cup or manage in Europe in England?

Its a stretch but you could see him thinking 2 great seasons at Aberdeen opens the door to a better job down there. Hes possibly slipping to League One standard jobs down there which is a shite league for managers.

He's some way from the League One circus yet. Boro was fine, and he just suffered the usual Championship thing of not being allowed a bad few months. The previous season he'd stabilised them after a poor start and they weren't far from the play-offs. There's no way that's damaged him enough after Sheffield United to make him unattractive to good Championship clubs. Most of my mates who support Championship teams would be chuffed to have him. He'll get back in.

It's possible that he may be attracted by a cup and Europe, but given that Aberdeen have won one trophy this century and are in the bottom half of the league, I don't think he'll be hanging his future on it.

We don't know his personal situation, but Aberdeen is a long way from home for him. More so for a job that is of almost no value to him in terms of improving his career prospects. It cannot be stressed enough that success in Scotland will mean essentially nothing to good clubs in the Championship. Robbie Neilson got MK Dons. Derek McInnes ended up at fucking Killie, and he won a trophy. See any big clubs knocking down the door for Davidson? Wilder's already a contender for those jobs anyway, so he could only damage his prospects by going to Aberdeen. Why spend 2-3 years on that, unless they're going to pay him an absolute fortune.

There's a reasonable chance that in the next few months he'll get a job at one of Sunderland, Cardiff, Birmingham, QPR, Coventry, Hull, West Brom etc. The way the EFL is, any of those are possible. How does managing in Scotland outwith the OF advance his position?

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

given that Aberdeen have won one trophy this century and are in the bottom half of the league, I don't think he'll be hanging his future on it.

Derek McInnes ended up at fucking Killie, and he won a trophy...There's a reasonable chance that in the next few months he'll get a job at one of Sunderland, Cardiff, Birmingham, QPR, Coventry, Hull, West Brom etc.

Out of interest, how many trophies have Hearts won this century? Two or four depending if you count those second tier league wins.

I suppose The Dons could also get relegated and win the League and Challenge Cup to boost our 21st century trophy winning like Hearts.

McInnes turned down Sunderland whilst at Aberdeen.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

I could see a circumstance where wilder ‘might’ take the job, but the question is how much do you sacrifice to get him? 

Aside from the obvious on salary, what promises do you have to make him on transfers? What compromises do you have to make on your football structure and ethos? Do you give him the same autonomy as mcinnes had because he’s a big name? 

And even after that there’s no guarantee of success, as football managers are often just victims or beneficiaries of a set of circumstances, and he’s probably always got one eye on a route back to England. 

If we asked him if he was interested and says ‘I’d need some convincing’ then I’d just save us all some time and move on. 

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Robson would be a huge comedown from 'Handsome Jim'. While I always thought Goodwin was over-rated as a looker, Robson isn't even up for debate.

Aberdeen's dugout would be bottom six in terms of aesthetics.

Fitting, I suppose.

Has Robbie the tramp renewed his modelling contract? 

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I could see a circumstance where wilder ‘might’ take the job, but the question is how much do you sacrifice to get him? 

Aside from the obvious on salary, what promises do you have to make him on transfers? What compromises do you have to make on your football structure and ethos? Do you give him the same autonomy as mcinnes had because he’s a big name? 

And even after that there’s no guarantee of success, as football managers are often just victims or beneficiaries of a set of circumstances, and he’s probably always got one eye on a route back to England. 

If we asked him if he was interested and says ‘I’d need some convincing’ then I’d just save us all some time and move on. 

Not a chance we’d interest him as soon as a salary is discussed 

41 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Out of interest, how many trophies have Hearts won this century? Two or four depending if you count those second tier league wins.

I suppose The Dons could also get relegated and win the League and Challenge Cup to boost our 21st century trophy winning like Hearts.

McInnes turned down Sunderland whilst at Aberdeen.

Not sure why you're going for the boring Old Firm TFT angle.

What I said would apply equally to Wilder being interested or otherwise in the Hearts job.

But bore on.

23 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

These would be the two key things for me if it was Hearts considering hiring him or someone similar.

The wage would be huge, or why is he there? So, does that affect the rest of the playing budget? If so, it's a pointless exercise. Especially as your second point is on the money. Nobody thinks Robbie Neilson is a great coach, yet he's had two cup finals and is on course for back-to-back third places. All because recruitment is very good at Hearts.

If I were an Aberdeen fan, I'd be keen to see the money spent on player recruitment, both in terms of infrastructure and wages, rather than a head coach. I'd rather see the big wages go to a good DoF.

I like Wilder, and I think he'd be a great appointment, but it all hinges on what the side costs and sacrifices are.

32 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Not sure why you're going for the boring Old Firm TFT angle.

What I said would apply equally to Wilder being interested or otherwise in the Hearts job.

But bore on.

I have no idea what the Old Firm TFT angle is?

What I do know is that Chris Wilder won't be the next manager of Aberdeen.

To be honest, I'd prefer to give Robson and Agnew a run at it and see how they do, I'm enjoying listening to Barry Robson in the post-match interviews too.

Edited by Bogbrush1903