Hamilton Academical v Raith Rovers: THE FINAL

accies1874

Great result yesterday. One of those games where Raith could still be playing right now and still not have scored, which is a testament to our backs to the wall defending and how well Fulton played.

The red card was an absolute joke glad to see the club are appealing. Some top quality booing of the ref when he went to get his medal.

14 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Great result yesterday. One of those games where Raith could still be playing right now and still not have scored, which is a testament to our backs to the wall defending and how well Fulton played.

The red card was an absolute joke glad to see the club are appealing. Some top quality booing of the ref when he went to get his medal.

I asked this earlier but no one responded. Will he be suspended for league games or just the Challenge Cup (which he might not play in again)?

I was a bit nonplussed about the game beforehand, but I did get a wee buzz when I turned up at the stadium and saw a load of folk decked out in red and white outside. Accies supporters spread across two stands was a great sight, and there were tonnes of folk who I hadn't seen at a game in years. Hopefully yesterday will get some of them to try and come back regularly, as well as attracting a few kids to become Accies fans. Those are the kinds of days that hook people who aren't actually fans, and a positive final eight games could see them buying season tickets in the summer. 

59 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I asked this earlier but no one responded. Will he be suspended for league games or just the Challenge Cup (which he might not play in again)?

If it's deemed violent conduct, the ban will spill over into league games.

8 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I've only seen it back this morning and didn't think it was a red. Does the suspension carry over into the league?

Partially, as a serious foul play or violent conduct red, it’s next game period plus the next in the competition involved.

Edited by TxRover

23 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

No complaints at the outcome.

You can't turn up for 45 minutes and expect to win a cup final.

Accies bossed the first half and defended for their lives in the second.

Hope Accies fans enjoy their night.

You cant turn up for 45 minutes and expect to win a cup final.

Hamilton did.

1 hour ago, kirkcaldybanjo111 said:

You cant turn up for 45 minutes and expect to win a cup final.

Hamilton did.

Hamilton gave their all for the full 90 plus minutes yesterday.

Bossed the first half and when it became Attack v Defence in the second half, the Defence won.

Tbh, you can't play 45 minutes crossing the ball into the box with no strikers on the pitch and expect to win.

The saves looked spectacular from the main stand, but looking at the highlights I think at least one of them would have been converted by a decent striker.

I'm slightly surprised by this tbh.

SFP is defined as:

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

It certainly wasn't an excessive use of force, and i'd say that it didn't endanger the safety of the Rovers player either. If the ref thought he'd elbowed him in the face then that would fall under excessive brutality and, given the referee's view, I can see why he might think that in real time.

Having had the opportunity to view it a few times now, though, it's clear he didn't elbow him and I'd argue the definition of reckless is therefore more befitting:

when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned.

Edited by Todd_is_God

On 29/03/2023 at 18:48, Todd_is_God said:

I'm slightly surprised by this tbh.

SFP is defined as:

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

It certainly wasn't an excessive use of force, and i'd say that it didn't endanger the safety of the Rovers player either. If the ref thought he'd elbowed him in the face then that would fall under excessive brutality and, given the referee's view, I can see why he might think that in real time.

Having had the opportunity to view it a few times now, though, it's clear he didn't elbow him and I'd argue the definition of reckless is therefore more befitting:

when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned.

Maybe pushing someone in the face with both hands when they are running past has been seen as a challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent. I’m not that surprised.

Edited by Scary Bear