Scottish Junior Cup

The Junior Cup like all trophies is worth winning. We can debate all we want of it's value now compared to history. If it gets feet through the turnstiles and some of  then like what's on show enough to come back for league games or other cup games, that's more than enough reason  to keep it going.

I know financially it can be a drain on clubs wrt travel. Can the SJFA not look at  ways to ease this potential burden on clubs. The concern will be that clubs continually drop out season on season if financially it is a negative for them.

2 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

The Junior Cup like all trophies is worth winning. We can debate all we want of it's value now compared to history. If it gets feet through the turnstiles and some of  then like what's on show enough to come back for league games or other cup games, that's more than enough reason  to keep it going.

I know financially it can be a drain on clubs wrt travel. Can the SJFA not look at  ways to ease this potential burden on clubs. The concern will be that clubs continually drop out season on season if financially it is a negative for them.

They could pay the financial travel guarantee out of their own coffers like the South Challenge Cup does, rather than take it from the gate receipts especially where there isn't enough for the home side to break even. It's all well and good people saying the Junior Cup has prize (guarantee) money for the semis+final but I'm sure the rest of the clubs would rather the SJFA spent more of their reserves covering travel costs.

Anyway the semi-final draw is Glenafton v Cumnock and Rutherglen v East Craigie (tbc at neutral venues).

19 hours ago, Thejackdaw said:

Which tells its own story really of a crowd of 700 , yes we can all get nostalgic but quater finals of the Scottish cup used to fetch between 2,500 and 3,000 back in the day,  700 in today's terms is reasonably healthy however its not good at all and it kind of paints a picture regarding just how far our big famous trophy has fallen,  the calibre of the last 8 tells it all if we are being honest  .

What do you mean? With the exception of East Craigie and Bellshill, all the quarter-finalists are multiple Junior Cup winners with long and distinguished histories.

3 hours ago, larkyforever said:

What do you mean? With the exception of East Craigie and Bellshill, all the quarter-finalists are multiple Junior Cup winners with long and distinguished histories.

Well here's an example   , a Scottish cup final between  two teams with long distinguished histories could be cambuslang rangers v petershill , two clubs with huge Scottish cup histories and pedigrees therefore by your reckoning the Scottish cup final would be alive and well if two teams of their ' long and distinguished histories ' contested the final  . 

That's two clubs who I've saw my own club score  14 goals against this season In the last two fixtures we've played against them , history is there to be recognised I fully understand that but the Scottish cup Is a poor poor shadow of its former self , the big glorious trophy deserves far more than its getting these days.  

Just now, glensmad said:

Semi final draw :-

Rutherglen Glencairn v East Craigie

Glenafton Athletic v Cumnock Juniors

Dates and venues (neutral) to be confirmed.

Did I not read at the weekend that the semis were on 11th March?

4 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Did I not read at the weekend that the semis were on 11th March?

Yes, however that was an error in the information given to the clubs prior to the quarter final matches. Dates and venues have not yet been confirmed for the semi finals.

On 14/02/2023 at 22:10, Thejackdaw said:

Well here's an example   , a Scottish cup final between  two teams with long distinguished histories could be cambuslang rangers v petershill , two clubs with huge Scottish cup histories and pedigrees therefore by your reckoning the Scottish cup final would be alive and well if two teams of their ' long and distinguished histories ' contested the final  . 

That's two clubs who I've saw my own club score  14 goals against this season In the last two fixtures we've played against them , history is there to be recognised I fully understand that but the Scottish cup Is a poor poor shadow of its former self , the big glorious trophy deserves far more than its getting these days.  

Dont grasp your logic at all.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

There's a surprise the beloved junior cup dates all sorted and very proud about posting them we have a league that looks like a burst couch with holes all over it . It's half way through February and we still have not played 3 teams in our league the first one posted for early March against arthurlie and we still dont have dates for our games against Rob Roy or petershill home or away but hey everything is great it's just like it used to be different name for the league but same old fixtures from junior minded people might as well bring Scott Robertson back because nothing has changed😞

25 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

There's a surprise the beloved junior cup dates all sorted and very proud about posting them we have a league that looks like a burst couch with holes all over it . It's half way through February and we still have not played 3 teams in our league the first one posted for early March against arthurlie and we still dont have dates for our games against Rob Roy or petershill home or away but hey everything is great it's just like it used to be different name for the league but same old fixtures from junior minded people might as well bring Scott Robertson back because nothing has changed😞

Aye, it's all the fault of the Junior Cup

Rob Roy v Kilwinning postponed on 15th Oct because Kilwinning were in the South Challenge Cup

Kilwinning v Rob Roy postponed on 4th March because Kilwinning were in the South Challenge Cup

Petershill v Kilwinning postponed on 4th Feb because Kilwinning were in the South Challenge Cup

Kilwinning v Petershill postponed on 16th September because Kilwinning were in the Scottish Cup

Edited to add that Kilwinning v Arthurlie was postponed on 16th of December because your pitch was frozen.

Edited by Kennie

2 hours ago, Kennie said:

Aye, it's all the fault of the Junior Cup

Rob Roy v Kilwinning postponed on 15th Oct because Kilwinning were in the South Challenge Cup

Kilwinning v Rob Roy postponed on 4th March because Kilwinning were in the South Challenge Cup

Petershill v Kilwinning postponed on 4th Feb because Kilwinning were in the South Challenge Cup

Kilwinning v Petershill postponed on 16th September because Kilwinning were in the Scottish Cup

Edited to add that Kilwinning v Arthurlie was postponed on 16th of December because your pitch was frozen.

Ditch the SCC!

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Ditch the SCC!

We don't need to ditch anything.

It's time to put away the bitterness and animosity between certain factions within the same organisation.

All that's needed is a bit of co-operation and understanding.

I firmly believe that there is still an appetite for the Junior Cup and if that means I'm 'Junior minded' then so be it. I prefer to think I'm football minded though. I'm the fixture secretary for the WoSFL, I'm on the committee for the South Challenge Cup and I co-ordinate the fixtures for the Junior Cup. I give each of these 100% because I believe if we work together we can make it better for all concerned. To give any of them any less would set me up for a fail.

6 hours ago, Kennie said:

We don't need to ditch anything.

It's time to put away the bitterness and animosity between certain factions within the same organisation.

All that's needed is a bit of co-operation and understanding.

I firmly believe that there is still an appetite for the Junior Cup and if that means I'm 'Junior minded' then so be it. I prefer to think I'm football minded though. I'm the fixture secretary for the WoSFL, I'm on the committee for the South Challenge Cup and I co-ordinate the fixtures for the Junior Cup. I give each of these 100% because I believe if we work together we can make it better for all concerned. To give any of them any less would set me up for a fail.

A true soldier of love!

I was pulling your leg with the previous comment based on the fact that most of those matches quoted for Buffs were in the SCC. Totally agree with you as do the vast majority. Ignore that other walloper.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

A true soldier of love!

I was pulling your leg with the previous comment based on the fact that most of those matches quoted for Buffs were in the SCC. Totally agree with you as do the vast majority. Ignore that other walloper.

I know that your comment was tongue in cheek, I just wanted to use it to get a point across.

If anyone really want's to vent their anger and upset about their fixtures, perhaps it would be better to pick a more legitimate target.

The one that really has an effect on the fixtures is the Lowland League Play-offs.

Because there's no automatic promotion for our Premier Division Champion, the season NEEDS to finish on the 13th May. 

Just think what we could do if we didn't have that deadline.

Possibly another 4 or 5 Saturdays, possibly another 4 or 5 Wednesdays.

Just think an extra 4 or 5 weeks of decent weather. Watching games in shorts and tee-shirts under the sun instead of big jumpers, coats and under umbrellas.

More importantly, no more need for midweek games throughout the winter months, saving fortunes by using natural sunlight instead of floodlights.

Getting rid of the Play-offs, benefits everyone. getting rid of a cup doesn't.