Scottish Junior Cup

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

A crowd of over 700 for Larkhall Thistle v Rutherglen Glencairn today (normally about a quarter of that) suggests the Scottish Junior Cup is still held in the affection of many supporters.

Course it is. Your club have taken a curious stance on it GM. From their perspective, why did they withdraw from it at first but decide to 're-enter this year?

Edited by jimbaxters

7 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Course it is. Your club have taken a curious stance on it GM. From their perspective, why did they withdraw from it at first but decide to 're-enter this year?

We felt at the time of the formation of the WoSFL that we had to fully commit to the new set-up, and having two governing bodies would cause confusion. We were also fully committed to the Scottish FA Licensing process. We were also facing the prospect of playing in a 20-team Premier Division and we just couldn't see where the Scottish Junior Cup would fit into that schedule.

Now that we were successfully  through the Licensing  process, as a club we re-assessed things in the summer. Given that we were no longer eligible to play in the Strathclyde Cup and our league fixtures were now reducing from 38 games to 30 games, we felt there was room in the calendar for us to play in the Scottish Junior Cup again if they would have us back. The COO of the SJFA is a Rutherglen man, and he was more than delighted to welcome his home town team back into the tournament.

We recognise it was a U-turn from us, but things develop over time in football, and relationships had healed over those two years that we stepped away from SJFA Membership.

We remain fully committed to the WoSFL and the Scottish FA pyramid, but the Scottish Junior Cup is a nice bonus, and it was very obvious that our fans were pleased to see us return to the competition when we announced our intentions.

I was at the Larky v Rutherglen game yesterday & was a typical Cup game, well worth £7.00 entrance,  with the underdogs the better team IMO 

Larky hitting the post twice & Rutherglen awarded as soft penalty in the first half, however experience proved to be the winner in this game 

Fair play to Larkhall (Jags) & I will be back to watch them again soon as a great we set up, it was good to have a chat (and a beer or two) with the committee afters 

Well done to all involved at this club 

13 hours ago, wow-wee said:

It's causing an imbalance in the league clubs that are licensed and playing in the junior cup are playing junior cup ties when those teams who dont play in the junior cup are playing league games and depending how far you go in either competition then that's more league games that should be getting played. But what we get you can still play these league games midweek to catch up therefore hindering other teams who are having to play midweek games when it's the fault of teams who want to play in a third party competition

What you're describing isn't so much "stopping progress" as just causing a slight nuisance with league fixture scheduling.

Talbot are out of this cup now but before that they had two very well attended matches against Darvel and Cumnock.

Fans still love these matches and clubs obviously benefit with the gate money, etc this generates. What is so "anti-progress" about giving fans something they clearly want and tapping into a good revenue stream at the same time?  Bottom line is that it makes sense to participate in this cup for as long as possible. Some clubs cut off their nose to spite their face on the issue and took what they thought was a progressive stand, some of those have realised that you could actually have the best of both worlds and come back into the tournament. I think the self proclaimed "progressives" need to get over themselves and recognise that this tournament still holds value despite being severely diminished.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

We felt at the time of the formation of the WoSFL that we had to fully commit to the new set-up, and having two governing bodies would cause confusion. We were also fully committed to the Scottish FA Licensing process. We were also facing the prospect of playing in a 20-team Premier Division and we just couldn't see where the Scottish Junior Cup would fit into that schedule.

Now that we were successfully  through the Licensing  process, as a club we re-assessed things in the summer. Given that we were no longer eligible to play in the Strathclyde Cup and our league fixtures were now reducing from 38 games to 30 games, we felt there was room in the calendar for us to play in the Scottish Junior Cup again if they would have us back. The COO of the SJFA is a Rutherglen man, and he was more than delighted to welcome his home town team back into the tournament.

We recognise it was a U-turn from us, but things develop over time in football, and relationships had healed over those two years that we stepped away from SJFA Membership.

We remain fully committed to the WoSFL and the Scottish FA pyramid, but the Scottish Junior Cup is a nice bonus, and it was very obvious that our fans were pleased to see us return to the competition when we announced our intentions.

Judas ! 😁

2 hours ago, Billy XBoswell said:

I was at the Larky v Rutherglen game yesterday & was a typical Cup game, well worth £7.00 entrance,  with the underdogs the better team IMO 

Larky hitting the post twice & Rutherglen awarded as soft penalty in the first half, however experience proved to be the winner in this game 

Fair play to Larkhall (Jags) & I will be back to watch them again soon as a great we set up, it was good to have a chat (and a beer or two) with the committee afters 

Well done to all involved at this club 

I was there as well and my experiences were pretty much the same. Great set-up there, I spoke to some very friendly people, excellent crowd and a good game. Well worth going!

19 hours ago, wow-wee said:

The two association's shouldn't meet the short sighted and greedy club's who want to play in every cup that's going is the problem the club's who are licensed should never be allowed to play in both therefore that would finish the for ever!

Perhaps there is room for the Junior cup and the Strathclyde Cup to merge in some way?

12 hours ago, glensmad said:

A crowd of over 700 for Larkhall Thistle v Rutherglen Glencairn today (normally about a quarter of that) suggests the Scottish Junior Cup is still held in the affection of many supporters.

Undoubtedly true however it probably helped that no SPFL teams were playing nearby yesterday, and the two teams are half an hour apart.

On 11/02/2023 at 23:13, glensmad said:

Which tells its own story really of a crowd of 700 , yes we can all get nostalgic but quater finals of the Scottish cup used to fetch between 2,500 and 3,000 back in the day,  700 in today's terms is reasonably healthy however its not good at all and it kind of paints a picture regarding just how far our big famous trophy has fallen,  the calibre of the last 8 tells it all if we are being honest  .

6 minutes ago, Happy Chappy said:

I wonder if all the shouting about pish tournament and devalued cup would be getting shouted to the heavens if Auchinleck Kilbirnie and such hadn't been put out early in it JUST WONDERING

One guy above you is actually trying to (semi coherently) argue that 700 isn't an excellent crowd for rutherglen v larkhall. Folk struggle badly to be objective because they've dug themselves into an extreme and absolute position on the subject of grades and pyramids. They have the odd valid point but mostly It's like arguing with daft weans who will argue that black is white rather than re-evaluate their position objectively from time to time.

I've actually read somewhere that the crowd at Larkhall v Glencairn was in excess of 900, which wouldn't surprise me as the covered enclosure was packed and it was pretty busy on the open side and behind the turnstiles end goal. I didn't see the official attendance as I wasn't involved in the financials of the game, I leave that to our financial people.