Scottish Junior Cup

On 18/02/2023 at 11:24, andy25 said:

If more midweek fixtures were given to teams with floodlights then the league would be in a healthier place.

Andy according to the  wosfl constitution which can be seen by everyone on the wosfl website it clearly states that the fixture Secretary shall , by the 1st July or as soon as possible thereafter once dates for the Scottish FA cup and South challenge cup are announced, produce a fixture list for the season.

7 hours ago, glensmad said:

Semi final dates and venues confirmed :-

Glenafton Athletic v Cumnock Juniors - Beechwood Park, Auchinleck, Friday 14th April 2023, 7.30pm.

Rutherglen Glencairn v East Craigie - Volunteer Park, Armadale, Sunday 16th April 2023, 2pm.

3 games for me Friday, Saturday and Sunday that weekend.

Happy days.

Thejackdaw was posting on the Glencairn thread over the weekend, claiming that the semi finalist teams summed up how the competition has been diluted in recent years and that two of them "would have been nowhere near  it when it was all in".

Three of the four semi finalists this year have 16 Scottish Junior Cup Final appearances between them, with 8 wins and 8 defeats. And all of those final appearances were when the competition was "all in".

17 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Thejackdaw was posting on the Glencairn thread over the weekend, claiming that the semi finalist teams summed up how the competition has been diluted in recent years and that two of them "would have been nowhere near  it when it was all in".

Three of the four semi finalists this year have 16 Scottish Junior Cup Final appearances between them, with 8 wins and 8 defeats. And all of those final appearances were when the competition was "all in".

His head is full of collie dugs. Not worth bothering about.

4 minutes ago, beaver watch said:

Apart from the Glens in 2017 and 2014 the rest of the finals were back when the earth was flat!

Does it matter whether it was in the last 20 years or the last 120 years ? The tournament was all-in when the 16 finals were reached by these three teams. Are you suggesting the quality in recent years is better than it was in history ?

Edited by glensmad

2 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Does it matter whether it was in the last 20 years or the last 120 years ? The tournament was all-in when the 16 finals were reached by these three teams. Are you suggesting the quality in recent years is better than it was in history ?

The last time you lot were in a final the Bay City Rollers were top of the charts. 

9 minutes ago, beaver watch said:

The last time you lot were in a final the Bay City Rollers were top of the charts. 

True. 🤣 But is that relevant ? The competition was "all-in" back then. Thejackdaw was suggesting that the teams in the semi final wouldn't have been close to this stage had the competition been "all-in", yet there are 16 final appearances amongst us all from when the tournament was "all-in". Our last semi final appearance was only 10 years ago, when the tournament was "all-in".

46 minutes ago, beaver watch said:

Memories are becoming hazy given that's almost 50 years ago but they had a huge support in the Celtic end from what I remember from being there. Stonehouse Violet made it to Hampden back in that era. There used to be a lot more variety before Talbot started to appear regularly in the finals from the mid-80s onwards.

9 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Memories are becoming hazy given that's almost 50 years ago but they had a huge support in the Celtic end from what I remember from being there. Stonehouse Violet made it to Hampden back in that era. There used to be a lot more variety before Talbot started to appear regularly in the finals from the mid-80s onwards.

The crowd was over 17,000 at the 1975 final when we played Glenrothes.

5 hours ago, glensmad said:

True. 🤣 But is that relevant ? The competition was "all-in" back then. Thejackdaw was suggesting that the teams in the semi final wouldn't have been close to this stage had the competition been "all-in", yet there are 16 final appearances amongst us all from when the tournament was "all-in". Our last semi final appearance was only 10 years ago, when the tournament was "all-in".

Are glencairn all in or when it suits them

40 minutes ago, Black Pennel said:

Three games for me that weekend as well. Well done to all involved for the imaginative scheduling. It could only be made even better if it also messed up a Buffs fixture on the Friday evening.😇

Ha ha I'm surprised no other team do more Friday nights out crowds almost double compared to a Saturday and I don t think a junior cup in the same night will change anything. As for the jackdaw  slagging  teams who are in the semi-finals it's in poor taste those teams got there on merit no matter where there position is in the leagues are or where they come from its disrespectful on the said club's I'm the biggest hater of the junior cup on here but I would always respect fellow clubs

We've been fairly lucky with the weather in recent years and have fortunately avoided the fixture pile up that some clubs (mostly Talbot) have had to endure due to cancelled winter games and the old method of the junior cup taking priority.  I remember one year they were due to play Ballingry (I think) and the park was covered in snow for about a month, delaying all the other fixtures both clubs were due to play.  This also meant that other clubs were waiting weeks to finish their season due to Talbot having a huge backlog.

I don't really care for the junior cup anymore and am quite happy for the Buffs to concentrate on the other trophies (or at least avoiding relegation will do).  What I don't agree with though are Junior Cup matches taking place on Saturdays mid-season between two clubs who still have to pay each other in the league or another cup competition.  For me, the outstanding matches should take place first and the JC should be played on the next available date, whether that be a midweek fixture or not.

It's fine just now when we are able to play most weeks but you never know when a period of bad weather delays weeks of league fixtures and the schedule then delays them further due to allocated JC dates.

7 minutes ago, energyzone said:

We've been fairly lucky with the weather in recent years and have fortunately avoided the fixture pile up that some clubs (mostly Talbot) have had to endure due to cancelled winter games and the old method of the junior cup taking priority.  I remember one year they were due to play Ballingry (I think) and the park was covered in snow for about a month, delaying all the other fixtures both clubs were due to play.  This also meant that other clubs were waiting weeks to finish their season due to Talbot having a huge backlog.

It was Kelty. The game was eventually switched to and played at Ballingry's ground. We sat idle for weeks on end and nobody was prepared to arrange a provisional fixture with us. Kelty managed to play two away games in the same time frame as East teams were more helpful to them. Teams were approached to play us but declined and peferred to sit idle so I have zero sympathy for other clube having their season extended. They gave zero fucks about Talbot

Edited by Wile E Coyote