Motherwell's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Motherwell's next permanent manager?  

220 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

He’s been bumped too.

I don’t take any joy in anyone losing a job. I take exception they were offered it in the first place and the delay caused a financial loss doubled due to compo and missing out on cup progression.

No-one should take joy in anyone losing their job. However, if someone posts a kid-on post about Shelly Kerr being the one for the gig, then, shite as it may have been, my return (shite) joke isn’t really intended as anything other than that. A shite joke.

14 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

No-one should take joy in anyone losing their job. However, if someone posts a kid-on post about Shelly Kerr being the one for the gig, then, shite as it may have been, my return (shite) joke isn’t really intended as anything other than that. A shite joke.

Get up to the bar and get yer half and half in, closing time soon

I voted for who I want not who I expect.

As mentioned if you look at the the two jobs in Scottish football at present and no transfer windows till the summer, Aberdeen just need to limp to the summer. A top six based on their wage bill would be ideal but bottom six but safe could be written off due to Jimbo. With us it's purely about 10th as a playoff against a team in form with momentum in the Championship does not install the slightest bit of confidence.

Our healthy (ish GD) stands us in good stead compared to our fellow dangerzone compatriots and a win of our game in hand takes us to 9th, however the points target and how far this team at present are away from securing them are extremely far apart.

After the summer McCormack and the Aberdeen spend will demand challenging Hearts as it seems to be every season. Top sixes with a push for Europe is our high water mark, pretty much where St Mirren are at present. It's not that hard in this league if you buy well, do the basics and are organised. So after the summer I'd say the Aberdeen job becomes a much harder gig .... that is unless we drop down a division and have to cut our cloth.

I think and hope we will look for an experienced Manager as a stop gap till the end of the season.

We have effectively emptied 2 Managers in one Season. No need to make another (permanent) mistake on a 2 year deal or similar.

Get someone in who is willing to try and get the squad playing football and that the players may well respect and respond too.

Then come the summer we appoint someone based on what league we are in*

* The Championship. 

It would be the ideal club for Goodwin to try and salvage his reputation, but if he ballsed it up then he’s done, and Motherwell are down. 

i don’t think anyone can save Motherwell from 11th now. Just seem to be slowly drifting there. 

40 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Get someone in who is willing to try and get the squad playing football and that the players may well respect and respond too.

Not really interested in them playing football just get someone who can organise a defence and making us hard to beat. 0 - 0 from now till the end of the season would do just fine. 

I'm not about to even try and second guess our board but looking at the general trend I'd imagine we'd go for someone experienced after the obvious f**k up with Hammell.

Our run of managers since 2007 has been:
Maurice Malpas (10th)
Mark McGhee (3rd), (7th - moved to Aberdeen end of season)
Jim Gannon (sacked mid-season)
Craig Brown (5th), (resigned mid-season)
Stuart McCall (6th), (3rd), (2nd), (2nd), (resigned mid-season)
Ian Baraclough (11th - won play-off), (sacked mid-season)
Mark McGhee (5th), (sacked mid-season)
Stephen Robinson (9th), (7th), (8th), (3rd*), (resigned mid-season)
Graham Alexander (5th), (sacked pre-season)
Steven Hammell (sacked mid-season)

Broadly speaking we've tended to lean for "experience" after a mid-season sacking.

I'm still sceptical about the Lambert shouts but a quick Google search shows he was putting his name out recently (having also said he'd happily speak to us if we got in touch last summer). Given his last job was Feb 2021 and his time in England has kind of been diminishing returns since being good with Norwich it probably feels less of a stretch than it would have previously.

Edited by capt_oats