The 'How To Take Years Off Your Life' thread

6 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Reading the last couple of pages of this thread I reckon that if they put @throbber and @TxRover in charge of a new round of public information films we could reduce alcohol deaths by half well inside a decade.

They speak the language of the man in the street and are able to convey the message both eloquently and succinctly. Sign them up Humza! 

99CB2916-B245-47BF-B07B-E038C63DB097.gif

12 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Sorry about that.

breathing anything in to your lungs other than 78% nitrogen 21% oxygen and 1% argon must surely be detrimental?

I like the story of how Argon was discovered.  Somebody took a sample of air and removed all the oxygen, leaving 79% of what they started with.  Then they took another sample and removed all the nitrogen leaving 22% of what they started with.  Since 79 + 22 = 101, they concluded there must be 1% something else that must be an inert Noble gas, which they named Argon.  Subsequently the discoverer won the Noble Prize.

Not sure if it is really that simple but it does suggest that winning a Noble prize is relatively easy if you put your mind to it.

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Reading the last couple of pages of this thread I reckon that if they put @throbber and @TxRover in charge of a new round of public information films we could reduce alcohol deaths by half well inside a decade.

They speak the language of the man in the street and are able to convey the message both eloquently and succinctly. Sign them up Humza! 

As long as you don't get Throbs to design the posters...

🍒🍆

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Is most of this thread just throbber desperately trying to convince himself his liver will be OK? 

"Thanks for all the advice about the liver.  You obviously seem concerned about being healthy."

"If only.  I am simply repeating what the doctor has been saying to me for decades.  I know it word for word."

On 16/02/2023 at 05:01, TxRover said:

Christ, the mess we’d make of the public information area…I still am haunted by the Green Cross Way, we don’t need to risk something like that again. On the other hand, having us banging away might triple them too!

image.jpeg.abd3d7848a225e72c51a205ed4db9178.jpeg