Spain (a) in October

18 hours ago, Donathan said:

I have an unfortunate feeling that this game will be a reality check game for us. Spain will be out for revenge and we are missing a very key player in Tierney.

3-1 Spain (but I think they’ll get a result in Oslo to qualify us)

We have had our reality check with the hammering from England. It should not come as a surprise if we take another hammering here. They have 13 goals scored in their last two games.

Tierney is a big miss but Hickey can play that position. That would let Patterson into the team. It would be good to have his energy in there. 

Ferguson playing against Inter today. Hope he does well. He can't be far away from our first team now we see we need to improve quite a bit. It's his turn to be given a chance.

3 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

We have had our reality check with the hammering from England. It should not come as a surprise if we take another hammering here. They have 13 goals scored in their last two games.

Tierney is a big miss but Hickey can play that position. That would let Patterson into the team. It would be good to have his energy in there. 

Ferguson playing against Inter today. Hope he does well. He can't be far away from our first team now we see we need to improve quite a bit. It's his turn to be given a chance.

Who does Ferguson come in for though?! 

43 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Has Hickey ever played a CB role in a back three before? I actually would be more inclined to put Hickey at LWB and Robertson in the usual Tierney role, because Robertson is used to tucking into LCB for Liverpool when Alexander-Arnold inverts. Even still though I think I’d be going for a 4-3-3/4-5-1 hybrid for this game. 

46 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Has Hickey ever played a CB role in a back three before? I actually would be more inclined to put Hickey at LWB and Robertson in the usual Tierney role, because Robertson is used to tucking into LCB for Liverpool when Alexander-Arnold inverts. Even still though I think I’d be going for a 4-3-3/4-5-1 hybrid for this game. 

I never thought about Robbo in a back 3. It's good to see him playing on the left with Tierney going forward but the only thing about Tierney in centre defence is his hight. Hickey is not the wee boy he was at Hearts and he is really filling out. I think he can handle playing centre defence and he can move into midfield no problem when we have the ball. 

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

Hickey hasn't ever played there before, no. You have to be careful saying things like that on here though.

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Hickey hasn't ever played there before, no. You have to be careful saying things like that on here though.

You've been given a hard time for nothing then.

Tierney isn't a centre back but Clarke played him there and lots of fans were unhappy about it and said so. They wanted Clarke to play Tierney or Robertson at left back. He had to chose one or the other. I don't know who moaned about Tierney playing centre half and it doesn't really matter.

Also, McTominay isn't a centre back but Clarke played him there and lots of fans moaned about that because shouldn't play in defence, he is a midfielder. We don't know but with Tierney out Clarke might put McTominay back in defence. It's okay to have an opinion on that.

I like Hickey and I like Patterson. I'd like to see them on the pitch together. 

40 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

You've been given a hard time for nothing then.

Tierney isn't a centre back but Clarke played him there and lots of fans were unhappy about it and said so. They wanted Clarke to play Tierney or Robertson at left back. He had to chose one or the other. I don't know who moaned about Tierney playing centre half and it doesn't really matter.

Also, McTominay isn't a centre back but Clarke played him there and lots of fans moaned about that because shouldn't play in defence, he is a midfielder. We don't know but with Tierney out Clarke might put McTominay back in defence. It's okay to have an opinion on that.

I like Hickey and I like Patterson. I'd like to see them on the pitch together. 

I wasn’t as strongly against the McTominay CB thing as most posters here but now, in 2023, it’s not going to happen again. Not when his runs into the box have generated six goals in five qualifiers. 

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

From experience, stating the fact that Hickey hasn't ever played a position before can be dragged up years later, once he has played that position a bit.

Except craig thats absolutely nothing close to what happened.

Now if someone had suggested Hickey could do a job at centre back and Donathan had spent 5 pages insisting he couldn't play there. Arguing against the opinions of his former coaches. And forgetting the fact hickey had actually played there.

Then you might be closer.

22 hours ago, Donathan said:

My issue with that is Robertson has been an absolute standout in this campaign. Has various assist, including the first against Spain. Having lost one of our key defenders, I would be wary of moving another one to a different position. 

Glad I'm not making the call tbh.

I'd be surprised to see either Hickey or Robertson play as an outside centre-back. I think they could both do a very good job there, but not against Spain for me. If it were against Cyprus where we'd make more of the play or maybe at a push Georgia then fine, but Spain? I'd be surprised. 

If we play with three centre backs then I'd imagine one of Cooper or McKenna will be the replacement.

As outside bets Jack Hendry played the role in Tierney's absence in the game away to Armenia and did quite well especially in replacing Tierney's attacking output, but he will probably be required elsewhere. John Souttar has played as a left sided centre back from the bench replacing Kieran Tierney for the final 15 minutes of the Georgia game in June. 

Edited by 2426255

It should be a straight swap in for McKenna or Cooper on the basis that there's probably not going to be much opportunity to utilise Tierney's attacking quality in this game anyway.

The decision for the Georgia and Norway games probably needs a bit more thought.

Worrying thought. We'll probably lose to Spain. And we'll probably lose v France as well. So we go into Georgia away after three consecutive defeats - possibly all three of them quite heavy - on a low and suddenly under pressure.

I know, glass half-empty, but come on, we're Scotland supporters, what do you expect?

18 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Worrying thought. We'll probably lose to Spain. And we'll probably lose v France as well. So we go into Georgia away after three consecutive defeats - possibly all three of them quite heavy - on a low and suddenly under pressure.

I know, glass half-empty, but come on, we're Scotland supporters, what do you expect?

Worth keeping in mind that you still have to add a Norway win against Spain to this scenario for us to be going into the Georgia game without already being qualified.

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

1 hour ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

Worth keeping in mind that you still have to add a Norway win against Spain to this scenario for us to be going into the Georgia game without already being qualified.

Aye this. I’m looking forward to our game with Spain, but if that goes as expected, then the big game for us will be the following Tuesday.

I think we can get a result

England look like a better side than spain tbh

Everyonr thinks the confidence will suddenly collapse after that defeat but I dont see it. Clarke has sorted out messes like this before

we no longer travel like a 5 year old with a weak bladder either