Spain (a) in October

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

Simon is getting nowhere near that.

It doesn’t matter whether he would have got there or not. What matters is does the ref believe Hendry prevented Simon from being able to attempt a save.

If he wasn’t standing in an offside position then I don’t believe the goal would have been chalked off.

Just now, Dunning1874 said:

Simon didn't even make any attempt to move towards the ball, so this is complete bollocks.

However it's also irrelevant, because the referee didn't give offside. When he walked away from the monitor and made the VAR sign, he then stuck his arm out to the right. That is the sign referees make when they are giving a freekick for a foul. He did not put his arm directly in the air as referees do to signal offside, because he did not give offside. At no point was an offside being considered in the decision to disallow that goal.

This 100%

And for VAR to then change it to 'offside' later kinda smacks Mike Dean's theory in the pus about how nothing can be changed once the decision has been made. 

Plain and simple, it should have counted. It didn't and we ended losing the game because of it. 

Maybe we should ask to get the game replayed, that's the norm nowadays...

5 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Does he f**k. The goalkeeper didn’t even make an attempt to go for the ball, nor did he even signal he was impeded. It was a fucking shite decision.

4 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

The keeper makes no attempt to go for the ball, just walks backward into the net 

2 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

C'mon man, there's no way he stopped Simon from getting to the ball. Its an awful decision no matter how you look at it. 

I called offside as soon as I got a 2nd look. The keeper cannot go for the ball with 6ft 4 of offside centre back between him and it. No amount of frustrated red dotting changes that. I dont WANT it to be offside but it is.

Just now, Cardle is Magic said:

It doesn’t matter whether he would have got there or not. What matters is does the ref believe Hendry prevented Simon from being able to attempt a save.

If he wasn’t standing in an offside position then I don’t believe the goal would have been chalked off.

The. Ref. Gave. A. Foul!!

3 minutes ago, Artemis said:

There were no lines drawn before, or when, the ref was looking at the monitor

They don’t need the lines when the referee looks at the monitor. VAR will say “he’s in an offside position, do you think he’s interfering with play”. 

For the record, I don’t believe it was the right decision either way. But just clarifying that there was nothing wrong with the use of VAR, in terms of the IFAB protocol (even if the eventual outcome of that use was wrong). 

Edited by The Master

1 minute ago, SweeperDee said:

Oh aye, Spain are renowned for not kicking up shit when they think they have been wronged right enough. Away you go. 

What point are you even making here? A player doesn’t have to appeal for a decision in order for a ref to give it.

Hendry is in an offside position; VAR sends ref over to screen as it is a subjective call on whether Hendry impacted Simon’s ability to make a save. He thought it did and the goal was disallowed.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

I called offside as soon as I got a 2nd look. The keeper cannot go for the ball with 6ft 4 of offside centre back between him and it. No amount of frustrated red dotting changes that. I dont WANT it to be offside but it is.

Aye, okay. 

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They didnt though. They gave offside.

Ref signed for a foul on the keeper. He wasn't looking for offside when he went over to the monitor, he was checking whether he thought the keeper had been fouled. He then signalled for a foul on the keeper. VAR then changed it later on, which they're not supposed to do. 

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

As many others have pointed out, the ref did not give offside. He gave a foul 

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

But the goalkeeper made absolutely no effort to go for the ball. And that wasn't because he was being 'bulldozed over'.

I can accept the argument that Hendry was foolish to be even getting involved though.