Spain (a) in October

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

In that case, other than the dream scenario of a draw on Sunday, I’m definitely in the Spain to win and confirm qualification camp if we can still secure pot 2, whereas I was starting to sway towards Norway winning to give us a chance of topping the group. I completely understand people just wanting qualified asap, but being pot 1/2 at the tournament vs pot 3/4 is a huge difference in terms of chances of progression.

To be fair if you look at the projected pots on We Global, the advantage in  being pot 2 instead of pot 3 isn’t all that big.

As it stands Italy, Netherlands and potentially Croatia are likely to be in pot 3, so we could still get a nightmare draw with 2 “big” teams that we would definitely be underdogs against in our group despite us securing pot 2.

The good thing is we are very, very unlikely to end up in pot 4 with our points total unless we somehow ended up needing a playoff to qualify, so we should be expecting to get at least 3 points in the final’s group stage.

Unfortunately wasn’t able to watch the game last night but having seen the highlights it’s clear to see that we were absolutely robbed. Just have to hope Spain get the job done for us on Sunday now, then give Ferguson, Patterson etc some game time on Tuesday. Plenty to be encouraged about by holding on for so long, so I’m not worried or anything as this team is more than capable of beating Georgia next month if things don’t go our way on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If you're offside when the ball is kicked, you're offside for the whole phase of play, and anything which interferes with an opponent at any stage constitutes an offence.

If that's the rule then fair enough. The fact that the interference is so minimal is the real frustration. 

1 minute ago, GuyIncognito said:

Unfortunately wasn’t able to watch the game last night but having seen the highlights it’s clear to see that we were absolutely robbed. Just have to hope Spain get the job done for us on Sunday now, then give Ferguson, Patterson etc some game time on Tuesday. Plenty to be encouraged about by holding on for so long, so I’m not worried or anything as this team is more than capable of beating Georgia next month if things don’t go our way on Sunday.

I don’t think we were absolutely robbed 

2 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Right. But there is absolutely no way for VAR to conclusively prove this fact on such margins. 

That's a whole different debate though. I'm not involving myself in that one, I switch off when people start taking about "frame rates". The point is there's absolutely no requirement for a "clear and obvious" error on this call as it was about offside. And as relatively close as this one was, it seems he was in fact offside.

SAying we were robbed is mental.  A more ruthless team takes more than that one Morata chance and we end up largely pumped.  We stood up to what Spain were offering right up until Morata scored, but ultimately there was only ever going to be one winner.  Goals change games, of course, and McTominay's is controversial, but by the letter of the law, seems that decision is correct, even if the process around it was fucked, and it's incredibly fucking soft.  It was a much, much improved performance, but the result went the way it deserved to go.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Which is a complete red herring as the criteria of "clear and obvious" has no application to offside decisions. Offsides are either offside or they are not, It they are offside by 1cm they are still offside.

It really wasn't.

100% we are. And we'd be absolutely indignant (rightly) if it wasn't given as offside.

I get the upset from people who are convinced he's given a foul. It's never a foul and it's obvious (to me) that isn't what they are looking at on screen pitchside. I don't get the upset from those who are either saying it wasn't offside, or it wasn't interference. It was both.

I think what this highlights more is; it's not that the rules weren't correctly applied, it's that the rules themselves need re-visited. I believe in the age of VAR a players whole body must be offside when the ball is played. You can watch it a thousand times, there is clearly no unfair advantage gained that affected the goal, it's nit picking to look for a reason to disallow it.

Away from whether it was offside or a foul or whatever, if we can agree that it was pretty much disallowed because Hendry was "interfering", can we also agree that was an incredibly fortunate decision for Simon in particular?  I think if he sees the ball coming in and makes a clear attempt to come for it, and Hendry impedes him, it's still slightly soft (keepers do get too much protection in my opinion) but it's at least understandable.  In this case, Simon takes a step, but as Hendry comes towards him he pretty much gives up after a very light shove.  I can only assume with his booking afterwards that he just thought "contact, must be a foul", but it's such an incredibly weak attempt that surely you have to ask whether that's really an impediment, particularly when it sounds like Simon went straight through Robertson earlier in the game (I didn't see that incident, so could be wrong on that) with no issue.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t think we were absolutely robbed 

Neither do I, but if we are 1-0 up with 30 minutes left, I’m seriously thinking a draw at the very worst. It took an unbelievable cross to split us open for their goal and a slice of good luck for the 2nd. 

We’ll still qualify, but it is a pisser to take. 

51 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think that's 'abundantly clear' at all, but I do agree it would be helpful if UEFA would release a statement to clarify what happened exactly. Those who want to believe it's a massive conspiracy will still believe so though and, as Howard Webb isn't in charge of VAR at UEFA, I doubt it will happen.

Yes I’d agree with that. 
I think it would be reasonable for Scotland to seek clarity around the process but I’d be astonished if UEFA mad any sort of public announcement. Either way the moment and the game have  gone. We move on. 

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Again, far too much faith is being put in one instance of a guy pointing somewhere. We don't know what actual decision the ref gave in that instance, only the referee does really, unless he verbally said it over the VAR comms. Just to be clear again, a decision and a signal are not the same thing.

I've said already, it would be useful to see how the game actually restarted - did the ref have his hand up for an indirect free-kick when it was taken?

Given that;

1.) The referee signalled for a foul

2.) UEFA and the VAR team initially communicated that it had been disallowed for a foul

3.) John McGinn indicated in two separate interviews that the referee initially gave it as a foul

then it’s fair to assume that in all likelihood it WAS initially called as a foul on the keeper and the position of “we really can’t possibly know what it was given for at this time” is clutching at straws.

4 minutes ago, forameus said:

SAying we were robbed is mental.  

We could easily have been down 1-0 after a minute of the game. Spain deserved to win.

I guess the disappointment stems from everyone going mental at McSauces free kick reasonably late in the game and then it gets disallowed. 

Spain may well have still scored two late goals to win the match. 

I still fcuking hate VAR. I don’t think it would have been disallowed had a big nation scored that free kick. 

Genuinely no sour grapes as we will still qualify, but if Spain score that, it would stand. VAR 100% benefits the bigger teams, especially at home, to put pressure on officials to make game-changing decisions for their benefit.