The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

The SNP and Greens are an absolute embarrassment.

Toys oot the pram behaviour from both sides.  Now the country is left with the prospect of John Swinney topping his pension fund for the next two years before he packs it in altogether.

Where was the succession strategy? A dominant party emptied by Sturgeon within a few short years. A shower of shite left to pick up the pieces.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Just heard the SNP are going into coalition with CRCKL and PP

You're on fire the day.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If Swinney is put in as caretaker to avoid another embarrassing leadership election during the Euros, he'll have my backing. No serious candidate

is going to throw their hat in the ring until the Murrell thing is fully settled and the SNP can start building again.

I’m not quite sure where the SNP stand - is the lunatic fringe still of any note, or did they all take the Alba train? 

Of course, if Swinney does get the gig for the duration of the Euros, he’ll probably pull out of the race with a ligament injury. 

Seriously though: Surely it isn’t that hard to find someone who isn’t 1. A weirdo creationist 2. An absolute loonball obsessed with gender or 3.Useless 

35 minutes ago, virginton said:

It is supposed to be the Scottish National Party. If you want a party that expels standing politicians and members based on not particularly consequential views being turned into breaches of a virtue-signalling party constitution, then you're looking for the Scottish Greens instead. 

Funny to see you try the 'creationist' line out because even your Poundland Dawkins tribute act can't risk taking the next logical step in your argument. 

Homophobia “not particularly consequential”?  

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The idea that any political party should be a ‘broad church’ should have its limitations.  There should be no room for homophobes or creationists in the SNP.

Or Brexit voters

31 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It is also a pretty damning indictment of the party's succession planning over the last decade if the apparently best post-Sturgeon candidates they can put to the nation are Yousaf and then Swinney. 

It's almost as if Sturgeon's top down management of both the party and the wider movement whilst surrounding herself with careerist box tickers and sycophants was bad.

I may very well be misremembering here but when Boris resigned and Truss took over was it not highlighted by all parties, including the SNP, that the public never voted for Truss and an election should be called to allow the public to decide?  The same when Sunak took office.

When Sturgeon resigned and Humza took over I don’t recall Humza highlighting this issue and he didn’t call an election.  Is it likely Humza’s replacement will call an election? 

Just now, Shadow Play said:

I may very well be misremembering here but when Boris resigned and Truss took over was it not highlighted by all parties, including the SNP, that the public never voted for Truss and an election should be called to allow the public to decide?  The same when Sunak took office.

When Sturgeon resigned and Humza took over I don’t recall Humza highlighting this issue and he didn’t call an election.  Is it likely Humza’s replacement will call an election? 

They can't. Different rules from WM.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They can't.

I thought an election could be called anytime or is that just in Westminster and not the Scottish Parliament?

ETA called by the party in power.

Edited by Shadow Play

8 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I thought an election could be called anytime or is that just in Westminster and not the Scottish Parliament?

ETA called by the party in power.

Holyrood elections happen in May every 5 years.

MSPs can call an extra election - by 2/3 majority vote or by going 4 weeks without a FM - but unless after Nov 2025, there'd be another in May 2026.

41 minutes ago, BFTD said:

We could probably do with getting the inevitable Forbes out of the way now, rather than another "safe pair of hands". We all know it's coming eventually, whether it's her or one of the Abla crew, and it'll go about as well as you'd imagine.

Folk have mentioned Humza Youseless being our Liz Truss, but he's more of an Iain Duncan-Smith or Theresa May figure - the proper lunacy is still to come.

Except Forbes will probably be brought down by social, rather than economic factors, unlike Truss. 

And that might make it a little bit more messy. 

18 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Yes the First Minister role is probably less powerful in relation to their party than a Prime Minister, partly due to the person in the role requiring backing from a majority of thr SP.

When Truss took over as PM for example, she just made up her own economic policy (borrowing money to pay for tax cuts for the rich) ignoring the Tory manifesto in the process. Not sure an FM would get far if they tried doing the same, which is much better democratically. 

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I suppose its designed to prevent young vulnerable bams from turning into older and more hardened bams in places like Polmont

Exactly.

Do we really think the offender will be less of a danger to the public at, let's say 26, having served 10 years; with 5 in Polmont and 5 in Barlinnie?

The prison system has proven itself to be a failure, not to mention they're all absolutely rammed. Suicide rates are up and there's currently 7 month waiting lists in HMP Perth (for example) to see a mental health nurse.

Looking to take more constructive methods to actually rehabilitate offenders, particularly at such young ages is the right thing to do. 

56 minutes ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

It's almost as if Sturgeon's top down management of both the party and the wider movement whilst surrounding herself with careerist box tickers and sycophants was bad.

its surprising just how surprising for so many the collapse of the SNP has been 

I may be entering the world of mysogeny by pointing out that the Tory deputy leader Meghan Gallagher on the Nine on BBC Scotland appears to have borrowed Groucho Marx's eyebrows.