Current SPFL Premiership Grounds as Away Days - Ranked

21 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

All depends on whether going for a day out or just for the game.

Hearts and Hibs and the Dundee grounds are great for a day out. As is Dingwall.

In truth, and McDiarmid is included here, the selection of away venues in the Premiership currently is pretty pish.

In no particular order, for fan experience, the Premiership clubs should be:

Raith Rovers

Dunfermline 

Dundee United

Arbroath

Hearts

Ross County

Dundee

Hibs

QOS

Partick Thistle (only on condition away fans are not in the Main Stand)

Elgin City

St Johnstone 

I'm happy with that. Sounds like a brilliant idea. 

21 hours ago, ropy said:

When I am driving (based on turning up an hour early)

St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Livingston (& Motherwell) - can park outside or a few minutes away

Aberdeen, Dundee United, St Johnstone - a short walk

Ross County - can park at the stadium at cost, there is probably street parking nearby but train is the way

Hearts and Hibs - would generally get the train as parking is poor

Celtic and Rangers - wouldn’t bother

You can park right outside the stadium at McDiarmid.  Just because you're too tight to part with a fiver isn't our fault. 

5 minutes ago, The Marly said:

You can park right outside the stadium at McDiarmid.  Just because you're too tight to part with a fiver isn't our fault. 

To be fair it’s not the fiver it’s spending the rest of your life trying to get out.

please note the praise for your seats in my follow up comment.

Fair’s fair.

Edited by ropy

28 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

If this thread proves anything a mere two pages in it's that St Johnstone desperately need to do something to improve the fan experience - something I've been harping on about for years. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the majority of folk think an away day to McDiarmid is shite.

I think the fact supporters buses aren't (or at least recently as far as I know/remember) allowed into Perth city centre before the game ruins the day a wee bit but that's down to the police.

Ayr and Cappelow are romantic ideas but in reality both stadiums are run down wrecks with next to no atmosphere. WDE is a crumbling mess and I don't think the away end roof at Somerset has much left in it. 

Be interesting to see where people rate Queens Park if/when theyre promoted.

As it stands its either ground sharing with Stenhousemuir at Ochilview, or their new stadium at Lesser Hampden. 1500 capacity, with the away stand behind a goal and housing 500. Same parking situation as Hampden.

Edited by RandomGuy.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Be interesting to see where people rate Queens Park if/when theyre promoted.

As it stands its either ground sharing with Stenhousemuir at Ochilview, or their new stadium at Lesser Hampden. 1500 capacity, with the away stand behind a goal and housing 500. Same parking situation as Hampden.

I will take Stenny, just along the road. 

I go to most away games - but (probably in common with other non-yoyo club supporters), I've been going to pretty much the same places for decades and so novelty value makes a big difference (hence the reason that recent trips to Gayfield and Starks were more exciting than a European trip for me).

Ranking it:

1) County - still a novelty as up until a few years ago, we'd never played County in any competition. It's either a brilliant fitba weekend or I can head up some mountains the next day that would normally be fucking miles away. It's probably the politest home support in Top Flight history (never met a Gretna supporter) and doesn't feel like a typical club. Dingwall is a nice small town. The stewarding has got unnecessarily petty of late mind you - so top place is at risk - I'll see what's happening tomorrow.

2) Hibs - Lived in Leith for 15 years and it still feels like home when I'm back - a pint in Robbies in Leith walk is worth a few places in the table. Easter Rd itself is a bit meh for me - the view is fine and it's a tidy enough place but it feels a bit more soulless than the old shitehole Easter Rd that I first went to.

3) Hearts - The opposite of Easter Rd - the old Tynecastle was the worst ground ever shat into existence and so to have a great stadium (despite the Slough chic of the main stand exterior) in a densely populated area is excellent and shows that (with a lot of money) you don't have to move in next to a TK Maxx off a dual carriageway slip road when your ground gets past its sell-by date. Decent boozers in the west of Edinburgh if you avoid stuff too near the ground which are always fucking rammed. Negatives: high chance of meeting what I can only refer to as "c***s" if the rugby is on the same day.

4) St Mirren - Can't really believe I'm putting this so high up the list but I've come to like the new ground after hating it initially (I liked Love St in both its pre- and post-Taylor setups). The wee petite stands mean that it always feels full and generates a decent enough atmosphere (it's the Anti-Rugby Park). From a supporters perspective, being able to only spend 90 mins + loose change in actual renfrewshire before going back to the boozer in Glasgow makes this a good day out.

5) Dundee Utd - I like Dundee (the city if not the team). There, I've said it. Plenty of old school boozers near the ground, typically quite a grumpy home support, which is always a plus. The walk from the station up the Hilltown is similar to the final climb to Ben Nevis' summit from the Car Mor Dearg Arête, only with more corner shops and tanning salons. Dundee trips suffer from the fact that in some seasons when both clubs are up, you're never out the fucking place but all the relegations make this a rarer treat than in the past and in the Tak Awa', the Clepington area has the best shop pun name in western europe. 

6) Aberdeen - When I first starting going in supporters busses when I was young, it felt *really* far away - the light was different, it was fucking freezing and the visceral hatred of teams from (40 miles East of) the West Coast was a good laugh. Officially the last support that made Ravenscraig closure jokes when we visited. The 3rd round cup win up there in 1991 was the first win I saw there and one of my fondest memories - and ever since then our record has been very decent which helps make up for a stadium that's never quite cut it.

7) Livingston - We're really getting into slim pickings already. The only reason Livi is top of the bottom 5 is that I could actually imagine that if you took the stadium, moved it Motherwell and put a grass pitch in - I'd be defending it as a good modern ground. Filled in corners, the "right" size, etc. As it really is - it's in a boozer desert and there is very little atmosphere between the 2 sets of supporters. The fact it's a shortish drive for me puts it up a place.

8. St Johnstone - I blame St Johnstone for a lot. By-the-numbers mini-Ibrox in a distant field that set the tone for others. Almost no redeeming features now that the pub near the ground (208?) isn't there any more. Believe they do a good funeral function.

9) Kilmarnock - The sound of a Mitre Delta getting carpet burns is only drowned out by the boos of the locals (world champion boo-ers in Kilmarnock for some reason) echoing round the vast, empty stands (but somehow with leg room that Scott McDonald once called "fucking shocking"). Since I moved away from Lanarkshire, Killie has always been a pain in the arse to get to for me and especially since they took the grass pitch up, it's ended up as my default "If I have to do some family stuff on a Saturday, do it that weekend" fixture.

10- Ibrox and Parkhead. Stopped going 20 years back (apart from one cup game at Ibrox and the playoff first leg) - no regrets.

Edited by Swello

On 02/03/2023 at 16:47, jamamafegan said:

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the majority of folk think an away day to McDiarmid is shite.

It’s absolutely fair enough and hard to argue.. But then when the same folk also say they enjoy away visits to Kilmarnock, Motherwell or st Mirren then you know they’re absolute no righters!!

Genuinely, none of those three offer anything; all dreadful grounds, and would anyone seriously consider going for a day out in motherwell, Kilmarnock or Paisley?!! The only exception is when you get the end section of the main Stand at Fir Park, then the match is generally a far better experience.

4 hours ago, Swello said:

in the Tak Awa', the Clepington area has the best shop pun name in western europe. 

FFS you should have said!

If that’s what you’re looking for in an away trip; walk from Perth train station to Mill street to get a bus to McDiarmid after you’ve frequented the three surrounding pubs, all within 50m of the bus stop. 

Before boarding, take a 2 minute walk round the corner and feast your eyes on a local hairdressing salon. ‘Hair Dot Comb

Enjoy.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

It’s absolutely fair enough and hard to argue.. But then when the same folk also say they enjoy away visits to Kilmarnock, Motherwell or st Mirren then you know they’re absolute no righters!!

Genuinely, none of those three offer anything; all dreadful grounds, and would anyone seriously consider going for a day out in motherwell, Kilmarnock or Paisley?!! The only exception is when you get the end section of the main Stand at Fir Park, then the match is generally a far better experience.

True dat, although Kilmarnock I must say I had an enjoyable away day there many years ago. Went into a nice pub and got a good bar lunch. Can't remember the name of the place. Agree that Paisley and Motherwell are pish trips. At least Perth is picturesque for those who venture down to the river. Nobody can take that away from us. Nobody.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

True dat, although Kilmarnock I must say I had an enjoyable away day there many years ago. Went into a nice pub and got a good bar lunch. Can't remember the name of the place. Agree that Paisley and Motherwell are pish trips. At least Perth is picturesque for those who venture down to the river. Nobody can take that away from us. Nobody.

To be fair Paisley doesn't suffer pretentious wankers gladly.

I can just imagine St.Johnstone fans wandering about Paisley looking for the best view.

Paisley has many faults, but I bet it's got more character and atmosphere in one pub, than the entire "city" of Perth.

Edited by FTOF

9 hours ago, FTOF said:

Paisley has many faults, but I bet it's got more character and atmosphere in one pub, than the entire "city" of Perth.

I imagine thats the same "character and atmosphere" that sees Glaswegians claim theyre the funniest people on the planet. 

Funny seeing the variations in opinion often being down to whether going to the boozer is a big part of your fitba day or not.

For example, if you don't go to the pub, I can see why Motherwell wouldn't appeal. But I do, and it's one of my favourites as a result.

St Johnstone and Livi are terrible, Killie isn't great, the Old Firm are both a pain in the arse. The rest are all good with Motherwell, Aberdeen, Dundee (either club) and Ross County among the highlights of any season.

Anyone who watches Scottish football without alcohol being a big part of their experience has my pity.

10 hours ago, FTOF said:

To be fair Paisley doesn't suffer pretentious wankers gladly.

I can just imagine St.Johnstone fans wandering about Paisley looking for the best view.

Aaah the good old weegie loving the sound of your own whiny nasally voice with pure dead magic banter by the way big man so it is.

Na you’re alright 

disgusted not safe for work GIF

10 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Funny seeing the variations in opinion often being down to whether going to the boozer is a big part of your fitba day or not.

For example, if you don't go to the pub, I can see why Motherwell wouldn't appeal. But I do, and it's one of my favourites as a result.

St Johnstone and Livi are terrible, Killie isn't great, the Old Firm are both a pain in the arse. The rest are all good with Motherwell, Aberdeen, Dundee (either club) and Ross County among the highlights of any season.

Anyone who watches Scottish football without alcohol being a big part of their experience has my pity.

With you on the alcohol front. Motherwell is never going to be the cultural capital of Europe, but for an away day with pints involved, surely it's got to be one of the most easily accessible, with 2 train stations within easy walking distance and a plentiful supply of decent boozers along the way? Obviously not the place to come if you want to sit in an artisan pavement café admiring the architecture, and the decline since the loss of large industry a generation ago is plain to see, but it's no worse than any other similar sized town in the central belt. Don't get folks massive hangups with it at all. Up the 'Well.

On my own travels, I also like St Mirren. 20min train into Glasgow Central for beers, another 20 to St James Station right outside the ground then the same in reverse after the game. Cracking, easy day out. Both Edinburgh and Dundee are great days out, Tynecastle being the pick of the grounds. Killie is ok, down on the train, quick bit of Fanny action then a couple of stop offs on the walk to the park.

Livi and St Johnstone poor location-wise, and although they're both obviously within easy reach I'll be fucked if I'll part with a single penny to the Glasgow pair to sit in their bile and hate-filled shiteholes.