The race for top 6 St Mirren v Livi 01/04/2023

HT 3-0

Easy peasy never in doubt etc. What a difference Joe at centre back and Gogic in the middle makes, we’ve been excellent and well worth the scoreline.

Two VAR’d pens for hand ball expertly dispatched by our top scorer, O’Hara. Think the put the penalty in the same place both times, lovely and he’s been our best player.

Most unLivi like performance I’ve ever seen from Livi. They’ve been an absolute shambles, good.

33 minutes ago, thomas said:

Should that not have been rescinded? Not 100% on the rules regarding that situation but it seems pretty harsh that it stood.

Happened to us earlier in the season and it wasn’t rescinded 

FT 3-0

Second half a complete non event, that’s okay. This game was finished after 42 minutes.

MOTM O’Hara subbed at half time. Gogic finally playing in his best position also outstanding, as was the captain Joe Shaughnessy. Clean sheet with him at the heart of the defence, to the surprise of no one.
This is exactly what we needed and we are now very much in the mix for the top six. 
Decent chance we fall back to 7th given our next two games are at Tynecastle and Ibrox, but we will surely still be in it going into the last game, at home to Killie. 
Great stuff.

1 hour ago, thomas said:

Should that not have been rescinded? Not 100% on the rules regarding that situation but it seems pretty harsh that it stood.

26 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Happened to us earlier in the season and it wasn’t rescinded 

I think VAR can't overturn yellow cards that aren't directly a result of an incorrect decision(but they can overturn a yellow card for one that was given for diving when VAR says it was a penalty etc) 

Thought Livingston rallied a bit in the second half. Nouble should've probably scored but other than that I thought we were quite comfortable despite a bit of pressure from Livingston. 

Omeonga made a difference for them when he came on.

Shaugnessy playing his first 90mins in a long time did well. I also thought Small was excellent. Had O'Hara not been hooked he would've probably been my MOTM, but I think Gogic was our best player over the 90.

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

From the sounds of it we’re going for 352, back to the big physical game that we played in the championship. 

will be a bit of a battle today

It was a battle that Livi never showed up for until the game was effectively over. Can't remember a Livi team ever roll over and get their bellies tickled like that before. If that chance that hit the bar goes in it could have been different, and we were almost inviting Livi back into the game at times, they definitely had chances.

Could see they were both penalties from the other end of the pitch, f'ck knows why it took so long for VAR to decide, or why Beaton didn't initially award them.

O'Hara took his penalties well, Watt took his goal brilliant but f'ck me, Gogic was head and shoulders above everyone today. It's a thing of beauty watching him charge about the pitch like that, dominated everything.

Really good team performance but Gogic and Small in particular were outstanding. We’re so much better with Shaughnessy back, Gogic in midfield and Small on the left side, just a shame it’s taken so long to get that lineup.

Thought Boyes was especially poor for Livi and I didn’t get why they kept trying to work everything through the middle when our middle three were doing so well.

6 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Really good team performance but Gogic and Small in particular were outstanding. We’re so much better with Shaughnessy back, Gogic in midfield and Small on the left side, just a shame it’s taken so long to get that lineup.

Thought Boyes was especially poor for Livi and I didn’t get why they kept trying to work everything through the middle when our middle three were doing so well.

Hope we can get Small up here for next season. He's really coming onto a game now. 

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Hope we can get Small up here for next season. He's really coming onto a game now. 

It's good to have some one who's a bit more direct and will run at players.

He's still a bit raw but he has all the attributes to be a really good player.

First of all congratulations Saints.Thoughrally deserved win imo.Secondly,when I saw Livis starting 11 I had the fear.Thats down to Martindale who got this horrendously wrong.He has to shoulder the blame here.Saints will know we're still on their shirt tails,but I genuinely feel that our top six aspirations have taking a huge blow here.Livi have been here before but will have to get their proverbial finger out to avoid another season defining  end to the campaign. Whatever the outcome, we've successfully punched above our weight as a wee diddy team and secured our place again among the big boys.👏.

That was pretty good. I don't think it was a 3-0 game, Livi had their moments. You can see why Nouble plays for them and not English Championship or somewhere higher up because he's a classy player everywhere except in the box. Missed two fantastic chances today.

Gogic, Small, O'Hara, Dunne and Shaughnessy all brilliant for us.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

That was pretty good. I don't think it was a 3-0 game, Livi had their moments. You can see why Nouble plays for them and not English Championship or somewhere higher up because he's a classy player everywhere except in the box. Missed two fantastic chances today.

Gogic, Small, O'Hara, Dunne and Shaughnessy all brilliant for us.

In many ways Livingston are a similar team to us. Solid enough with some decent players who will do a job, make a nuisance of themselves and be difficult to play against, but don't have enough guile or cutting edge.

I guess that's why we're both sitting in similar positions in the league.

25 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Yeah, I like him a lot, and it already feels like he has improved considerably since his debut. Easy to forget he's only 18! I think we are doing him good. His delivery today was so much better.