Euro 2024 - Qualification Thread

jagfox

4 hours ago, jagfox said:

Bulgaria have really gone to shit.

2 - 0 home defeat to Lithuania. 

Hungary face Serbia at the top end of the group tonight.

Bulgaria have been absolute shit for a  few decades now. Kind of a similar to how we were. 

On 13/10/2023 at 22:08, Donathan said:

Ireland go to Netherlands in November and might have an incentive to throw that game. 

The ROI can’t qualify directly anymore but have a shot to sneak into the playoffs if at least 19 of the 26 teams ranked above them in the Nations League qualify directly. 

Netherlands are one of these teams but Greece are not.

Big ethical issue with this format. 

Have they been throwing basically every single game for the last 4 years just to prepare for this one?

On 13/10/2023 at 22:08, Donathan said:

Ireland go to Netherlands in November and might have an incentive to throw that game. 

The ROI can’t qualify directly anymore but have a shot to sneak into the playoffs if at least 19 of the 26 teams ranked above them in the Nations League qualify directly. 

Netherlands are one of these teams but Greece are not.

Big ethical issue with this format. 

Ireland are losing that game no matter what. I suppose when they get humped 4-0 they could always come out with the excuse that they threw the match

9 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Handbags at the end of what was a really enjoyable game in Budapest. 

Just had it on in the background. Great game from what I saw - Sallai's goal was a rocket and probably should have finished 2-2. Both Serbia and Hungary are teams I consider to be near where Scotland are getting towards. Serbia were being a touch dramatic last night, but they had two goals ruled out so just thinking back to Thursday night they probably felt the world was against them.

26 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Just had it on in the background. Great game from what I saw - Sallai's goal was a rocket and probably should have finished 2-2. Both Serbia and Hungary are teams I consider to be near where Scotland are getting towards. Serbia were being a touch dramatic last night, but they had two goals ruled out so just thinking back to Thursday night they probably felt the world was against them.

Yeah I actually felt Serbia were quite unlucky and deserved at least a point from that, probably more. Hungary’s performance in the last Nations League shows where they are as a team, and they were possibly even a bit unfortunate at Euro 2020. 

In terms of seeding, was a draw the preferred result for us last night? You’ll know better than me! 

19 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Yeah I actually felt Serbia were quite unlucky and deserved at least a point from that, probably more. Hungary’s performance in the last Nations League shows where they are as a team, and they were possibly even a bit unfortunate at Euro 2020. 

In terms of seeding, was a draw the preferred result for us last night? You’ll know better than me! 

The draw there would only have really been the better result for the difference between pot 1 and pot 2 if we win the group, doesn't really matter for the difference between pot 2 and 3 if we finish 2nd.

Although looking at the potential teams in pots 2 and 3 I'm not such there's a massive benefit of finishing in pot 2 if we end up 2nd.

You will all be interested to know that I'll be watching the Norway v Spain game on Chaine L'Equipe on

French cooncil (or commune) tv, ( licence fee scrapped, yippee )

flipping over occasionally for  France v SA rugby on TF1.  

Allez les blues pour la victoire.            Gå landslaget for uavgjort.