Euro 2024 - Qualification Thread

jagfox

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Luxembourg have had good campaigns.

They have, but I was keeping half an eye on their game against Liechtenstein last night and (admittedly with 10 men for most of it) they looked really poor. Solid enough defensively but they were playing a very bad side and had almost nothing going forward.

Georgia, from what I’ve seen, are a lot better than them. Unless it rains. 

Always thought it was odd that Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan were admitted into UEFA, apparently just because they fancied it (i.e., their clubs / FA want the money to made from UEFA competition).  A giant country of desert and steppe in the middle of Central Asia with a capital over 2500kms east of Moscow.

At least Israel have the excuse that all their neighbours hate them and used to regularly refuse to play them back in the day (as would almost certainly still be the case today).

5 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Would Estonia count as bottom seeds in League A? I've been worried about Wales drawing them. They'll easily be the worst side ever to make the playoffs, IMO. One point all campaign.

Yes they would so would be playing Poland rather than Wales.

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

Would Estonia count as bottom seeds in League A? I've been worried about Wales drawing them. They'll easily be the worst side ever to make the playoffs, IMO. One point all campaign.

The Baltics in general are such a weird one. Back in the day, they looked like they'd trouble most countries in Europe, they were all in the 30s-40s in the WR around the turn of the 2010s and of course, Latvia had made Euro 2004 - all looked primed to kick on and be decent mid-tier European footballing nations. Proper banana skins.

Since then it's all sort of fallen off a cliff. The three nations, along with a rise more or less in unison, have fallen the same with all three now in the 120s or thereabouts  and have amassed 2 qualifying wins between the three of them in this campaign.

31 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

They have, but I was keeping half an eye on their game against Liechtenstein last night and (admittedly with 10 men for most of it) they looked really poor. Solid enough defensively but they were playing a very bad side and had almost nothing going forward.

Georgia, from what I’ve seen, are a lot better than them. Unless it rains. 

Aside from two absolute shellings off Portugal, they've produced some pretty exceptional results. I'd definitely not be writing them off in a one-off against Georgia having seen them deal with likes of Bosnia and Iceland quite admirably.

47 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Always thought it was odd that Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan were admitted into UEFA, apparently just because they fancied it (i.e., their clubs / FA want the money to made from UEFA competition).  A giant country of desert and steppe in the middle of Central Asia with a capital over 2500kms east of Moscow.

At least Israel have the excuse that all their neighbours hate them and used to regularly refuse to play them back in the day (as would almost certainly still be the case today).

Is there not a tiny wee bit of Kazakhstan that legitimately is in Europe, geographically? They definitely have a more legitimate claim in that regard than Israel. 

37 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Aside from two absolute shellings off Portugal, they've produced some pretty exceptional results. I'd definitely not be writing them off in a one-off against Georgia having seen them deal with likes of Bosnia and Iceland quite admirably.

I wouldn’t write them off, but I’d definitely see them as underdogs against Georgia. 

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Is there not a tiny wee bit of Kazakhstan that legitimately is in Europe, geographically? They definitely have a more legitimate claim in that regard than Israel. 

I wouldn’t write them off, but I’d definitely see them as underdogs against Georgia. 

Yes, approx. 3% of their territory is in Europe. As long as you have any territory in Europe, you will be accepted if you apply. Georgia, Azerbaijan, Turkey and Russia also all have a portion of their territory in Europe even though the Asian part of those countries is (significantly) larger. And other than Israel, purely geographically Armenia & Cyprus are both 100% in Asia too, so for those 3 exceptions have been made. With Israel that reason is clear, Cyprus generally gets seen as Europe due to their connections to Greece but they are technically in the Asian part of the Mediterranean, Armenia I suppose get included as it would be odd for them to be forced into Asia while they border 3 UEFA nations and they would then be the only country in the Caucasus region not in UEFA.

Edited by Marten

2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Dion Dublin is clearly a lovely bloke, but that is Michael Stewart-esque bias to claim that shouldn't have been a penalty. It's absolutely blatant. 

Not a penalty because Maguire rugby tackled him rather than clatter him with his legs 🙃.

Complete stonewaller. No idea why it wasnt given.

Edited by Jacky1990