Doonhamers vs. Blue Toon

55 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It was outside the box. But for me Paul McKay gets a two handed shove in the back about 10 mins later and nothing given and both Paton and, very late on, Gibson, had shouts for being fouled in the box too.

I thought their goal was very good to be honest. I'd need to see it again but not sure how defendable a ball into the box like that really is if they get it right. It's not really a "cross", it's a ball from deep and the defenders are inevitably goalside of the attackers which is "wrong side" with such a ball in.

Stephen Hendrie has his faults at times but not once did I think he pulled out of a tackle. I thought he was one of our better players today. I also thought Paul McKay continued his return to decent form.

That formation has got us 13 points from the last 15 available. It can be as "bogged down and punchless" as it likes if we play it in the next 5 and get another 13 points!

To be fair to him that's two successive games where the subs have effectively won the game for us. Cochrane and Murray last week, Connelly and Gibson this week. We do at least have options from the bench that can change a game.

Actually have thought Hendrie has had a massive improvement recently and one major positive is how much he has got stuck in. 

I was in the East stand and thought the foul on Logan was clearly in the box, but no doubt a video replay could prove me wrong (I'm often wrong tbf). Was great tenacity from the lad. Thought the tackle on Gibson late on was a stick on penalty too.

Re Hendrie pulling out of tackles, I never saw that. When we signed him a Thistle supporting work colleague said he was sad to see him go and described him as "hard as nails".

Oh and kudos to the folk who travelled down from the Blue Toon, fair do's when your team's stuck at the foot of the table and it's a long trip. Hope you got back safe. 👏

Still images are never the most conclusive, but there is a well timed one on the match gallery that makes it look very marginally outside the box.

One of those that’s so close, it feels harsh to criticise the ref too much (easy to say when it goes for you).

From my position in the Oakbank  directly in line with the penalty box I thought the foul was right on the line therefore a pen. The Peterhead player looked to have a couple of digs just outside the box as well  before giving away the pen. Agree we should have had at least one more pen, the foul on Gibson looked a stonewaller. I suppose the result is the most important thing but we do make it hard for ourselves at times.  "Hospital" passes to teammates, overhit passes, slack passbacks to keeper (East twice I think) nearly being pounced on, you certainly can't relax watching Queens, especially it seems against struggling teams. 

Finally, a word on the new Announcer, maybe an acquired taste but I thought he was quite good, not just doing the basics that we've become accustomed to. Couple of minor points though, always polite to give the away team list out first, and surely no need to give the half time and full time score of the game we're at, and, as was mentioned earlier, ditch the MOTD backing music for something else. A bit of half-time music was a good change, and substitutions off and on were announced quickly, although the volume seemed a bit low at times(might be my hearing though.) Also hope we've finally ditched that dragging on "Queen of the South" anthem for good or at least only play it briefly. 

33 minutes ago, JK_Queens said:

Still images are never the most conclusive, but there is a well timed one on the match gallery that makes it look very marginally outside the box.

One of those that’s so close, it feels harsh to criticise the ref too much (easy to say when it goes for you).

Aye I think that's clearly outside the box. But then is there not some rule where the award is given if the player lands in the box? Wasn't that what England were crying about at the WC when it happened to Kane? 

On the announcer - no one likes change really. Alex wasn't great but we were used to him. It was strange not hearing him today. The guy was doing that OTT excitement but tbh that's a personal thing as I'm miserable. It's definitely good to create that kind of atmosphere at a 'community' club. My only real issues were the MotD music; extremely cringe. And the goal music. I like to hear the cheer of the fans on the rare occasions we score. The song choice for it was pretty shit as well tbh. And as mentioned, I don't think we need the score from the game read out. 

I expect we'll acclimatise to the new guy soon enough :)

Screenshot_20230402-000422.png

Edited by 19QOS19

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Again, agree with SD - the penalty may have been outside the box (from my view I thought it was inside)

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I was in the East stand and thought the foul on Logan was clearly in the box, but no doubt a video replay could prove me wrong (I'm often wrong tbf).

I didnt actually see the challenge. I wasnt back out from half time duties yet. I heard the cheer and came out to see the penalty. Logan himself said it was outside though.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

On a different note, wee bit of class from Josh Todd with our mascot today.

010423 41 Todd and his Mascot.jpg

My dad was at the game yesterday and thought this was peak modern football, as the captain led the team out still listening to music.

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye I think that's clearly outside the box. But then is there not some rule where the award is given if the player lands in the box? Wasn't that what England were crying about at the WC when it happened to Kane? 

On the announcer - no one likes change really. Alex wasn't great but we were used to him. It was strange not hearing him today. The guy was doing that OTT excitement but tbh that's a personal thing as I'm miserable. It's definitely good to create that kind of atmosphere at a 'community' club. My only real issues were the MotD music; extremely cringe. And the goal music. I like to hear the cheer of the fans on the rare occasions we score. The song choice for it was pretty shit as well tbh. And as mentioned, I don't think we need the score from the game read out. 

I expect we'll acclimatise to the new guy soon enough :)

Screenshot_20230402-000422.png

If the fouling continues into the box, it's a penalty.

That more commonly works with shirt pulling or manhandling, but it could perhaps apply here.  The foul has certainly begun outside the box, but the tripping may carry on as his whole body slides across Logan.  From that picture it looks like a spectacularly stupid challenge.  Logan did well to get up from already being fouled, and the ref did well to let him.

I was standing about 5 yards away from the penalty incident being on my way back to the terracing from the toilet and my view was that he was already on his way down going into the box but he did manage to get in there and be fouled again. I was surprised the ref gave it when he could have taken the easy option but I could also see why he did.

35 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

I was standing about 5 yards away from the penalty incident being on my way back to the terracing from the toilet and my view was that he was already on his way down going into the box but he did manage to get in there and be fouled again. I was surprised the ref gave it when he could have taken the easy option but I could also see why he did.

Just now, HighlandQueen said:

Initially I thought pen inside the box but the still looks conclusive. Got lucky there. The other 2 were stone wallers. I saw a blatant push on Paton and he surely had to give the Gibson one as he almost halfed him. Ref was one of those guys that was only going to give one pen. 

We are in a run and keeps it going for another week but we need to play much better next week as I genuinely thought it was poor from the players that we struggled at home to a team that has only won 2 games all season. By the way I’m not a great fan of Murray ( skilful but inconsistent) and thought he was a ghost again today. I really hope we have better options for next season but have a niggling fear he may get another contract 

On the penalty - I figured that SD's view would have been from what the players said, so hard to argue with that plus the still photo tends to back that up.  I think the ref gave it because Logan just kept going even after being initially fouled on the edge of the box, and I think he was fouled again before he finally went down (inside the box) - I liked the effort from Logan all through.  Also, the East stand linesman had a good view and didn't counter the ref's call - not that the lino was on exactly stellar form yesterday.

I thought yesterday was a game crying out for the guile of young Cochrane in midfield.  Hope he's not injured again.

Good to see Marvin putting his faith in the younger lads again - Brydon, Logan, McKechnie and Gibson and they didn't let him down.

On the new announcer, as others have said, it's probably more a case of us being so used to Alex over the years that we notice the differences so much.  Time moves on though and change is inevitable.

The best match announcer in my experience has been the guy at Tynecastle (think he's retired now) - he was helped by an excellent PA system of course but his delivery/diction was crystal clear and he always acknowledged the away fans too and helped build the atmosphere prior to kick-off (easier done when there's 17,000 in the stadium tbf).

I thought our new guy was very clear too, albeit maybe sounding a bit too "BBC" whereas we've been accustomed to Alex's more local accent.  Again, as others have said, ditch the MOTD music - too naff.  Was that the opening bars of AC/DCs Thunderstruck he played prior to the teams coming out?  Nowt wrong with a few Angus Young riffs now and then.

8 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Good to see Marvin putting his faith in the younger lads again - Brydon, Logan, McKechnie and Gibson and they didn't let him down.

Agreed, I thought that they all had good games. McKechnie got better and better as the game went on. I also thought Hendrie played well, he was always available for a pass and must have sore arms after standing free at the edge of the box so many times waving for a deeper cross to be swung in from the right!

I can't really argue with those who've mentioned that we're getting the points with the three at the back formation. However, still think that we are more efficient and effective with a back four, as when East went off. Our forward play, particularly down the wings, was much snappier.

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

... No 22. was absolutely massive and did next to nothing with his headers - slightly OT but could he have been sent off for kicking the bottle at the ballgirl? He clearly didn't mean to do it ...

Hope the ballgirl/ballboy (wasn't sure which, couldn't see clearly) is OK now and has got over the incident and that it hasn't put her/him off the fitba.  Was a shame to see.

Have to say, the big Peterhead forward looked mortified after he'd done it, and I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose (who would?), it was just a moment of frustration from him - and I think the ref realised that too.  Also good to see other players (Logan was one) coming over to check all was OK.

35 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I thought yesterday was a game crying out for the guile of young Cochrane in midfield.  Hope he's not injured again.

He's injured. Dont think its anything particularly serious though, he was in the gym pre-match.

14 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Hope the ballgirl/ballboy (wasn't sure which, couldn't see clearly) is OK now and has got over the incident and that it hasn't put her/him off the fitba.  Was a shame to see.

Have to say, the big Peterhead forward looked mortified after he'd done it, and I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose (who would?), it was just a moment of frustration from him - and I think the ref realised that too.  Also good to see other players (Logan was one) coming over to check all was OK.

She was fine, and Oysinen apologetic. She was checked over and returned to do the rest of the game. At the end Marvin brought her into the dressing room with her coach to meet the players and get a photo.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's injured. Dont think its anything particularly serious though, he waa in the gym pre-match.

She was fine, and Oysinen apologetic. She was checked over and returned to do the rest of the game. At the end Marvin brought her into the dressing room with her coach to meet the players and get a photo.

Cochrane - good news.

Ballgirl - that's class from Marvin!

Cheers SD.

Maybe an idea to borrow some helmets from the Solway Sharks for the ballboys/girls in future with idiots like that Peterhead player about. Assuming that the ball girl is OK but could have been more serious if the object hit her eye.