THE RUN IN

I'd be all over Airdrie at 2/1.

I think we'll be up for our last home game against Clyde given that it will be trophy day and at Alloa on the last day as we'll want to finish on a positive note - plus they might be resting players at that point. 

Don't fancy us at all this weekend though.  Partly due to it being after the Lord Mayor's show, partly because I think we'll shuffle the pack selection-wise and partly due to the fact that Airdrie need the points and have caused us issues every time we've played them - the only side we've not kept a clean sheet against.  

8 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I'd be all over Airdrie at 2/1.

I think we'll be up for our last home game against Clyde given that it will be trophy day and at Alloa on the last day as we'll want to finish on a positive note - plus they might be resting players at that point.

Agree with all this, mainly because that’s exactly what happened last time we won this league! 

Following the league win there were a couple of matches that were non events, followed by a 4-1 pumping away to Stranraer and a 3-0 pumping away to Airdrie before managing to scrape to a 1-0 win on trophy day. 

Still raging that Allan Johnston didn’t start Faissal in that game. p***k.

Edited by Weegie Par

11 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

plus they might be resting players at that point. 

Don't see that happening 

On another note it does look like Edinburgh have thrown the chance of playoffs deliberately, maybe because of current setup ? seems a drastic loss of form to be realistic .

8 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Queens winning 3 probably wouldn’t be enough if Alloa didn’t win any but also didn’t lose any.

If Queens win all 3, they need either Airdrie to lose both of their other 2 games or Alloa to do no better than 2 draws and a defeat.
If Queens win 2 and draw 1, they need Alloa to lose all 3 and Edinburgh not to win all 3.
I think that’s it, unless there is a 14 goal difference swing.

Yes, was aware, was just trying to keep it simple. We've not really shown any sign of hammering anyone who wasn't Edinburgh all season (we did have a 4-0 v Montrose I suppose). The notion that we might win 3 games by a combined 14 goal margin is fanciful. I'm conscious we need to get 7 more points than Alloa (or I suppose 9 more than Airdrie but I wasn't even considering that).

16 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Though not realistic to you , technicaly you still can .  So hang around and input now and then it is fun if nothing else .

15 hours ago, Mingus2000 said:

I wouldn’t count you out quite yet. Would expect you to win next week. Dunfermline will be favourites to win at Airdrie, which would set up a huge match the following week. Given the last game in Dumfries, that could go either way. Away win, then Airdrie would need to get a result against Edinburgh on the final day (remember it’s 3 wins for Edi so far this season) while you should easily dispose of Kelty at home. Not over yet!

Your kindness is most appreciated folks, but as we all know the laws of aerodynamics aren't lacking in their effect - pigs just don't fly, never have.  Arithmetic is all well and good in a sterile world but it doesn't factor in some more subtle influences ...

Dunfermline are sat back in their armchairs now with their feet up and cigars oot, whereas the Airdrie team will be as motivated as ... well, a very motivated thing really ...

Edinburgh have chucked it for the season - they've comfortably consolidated their position in a higher league following promotion.  Job done.

That hammering on Saturday plus the six point gap will have flattened any remaining self-belief in that Queens side.  Hats off to Marvin if he can somehow re-motivate them against Montrose next weekend.  I wouldn't be betting on it.

Queens have failed miserably to dispose of the Kelty galacticos in three previous attempts, apart from a win in the cup of extreme diddyness - which was far from easy.

Airdrie and Alloa deserve the play-off spots, they've demonstrably out-performed Queens over the course of the season ... league tables don't lie etc etc etc.  I'm fine with this, onto next season's prep now.  Enjoy the fun folks, I'll be watching from the sidelines/beach with great interest.

3 hours ago, Weegie Par said:

Agree with all this, mainly because that’s exactly what happened last time we won this league! 

Following the league win there were a couple of matches that were non events, followed by a 4-1 pumping away to Stranraer and a 3-0 pumping away to Airdrie before managing to scrape to a 1-0 win on trophy day. 

Still raging that Allan Johnston didn’t start Faissal in that game. p***k.

Having gone to both Stranraer and Airdrie games I was already raging at AG and his total petty disregard for the fans and Fass, travelling that distance and for him to not give a shit about the team he put out just to prove a point!
To the double down on the last day destroyed any fillings I had for him as a manager, I presume the players felt similarly. Thankfully we have a better management team this year who seems to have a huge bond and understanding of what a team is.

5 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

On another note it does look like Edinburgh have thrown the chance of playoffs deliberately, maybe because of current setup ? seems a drastic loss of form to be realistic .

They've not really been very good all season, teams drop off like this all the time.

6 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

55 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They've not really been very good all season, teams drop off like this all the time.

Yeah this. Edinburgh looked to be in a bit of a false position all season and they also lost a few loan players in January. I can't imagine what benefit there would be to deliberately not getting playoffs or why an entire group would agree to it. They've not been picking weaker teams. The notion that they are deliberately losing is ludicrous.

Edinburgh's poor form is probably due to having not played us since January 2nd and therefore not having their morale boosting 3 points and bucket load of goals to go with it...

Quite how we have contrived to lose 3/3 and ship 14 goals to them is still a source of bemusement to Airdrie fans when you look at their other results. Those 3 wins seem to have propped them up near the top of the table most of the season when really they are a similar level to Kelty Hearts I'd say.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

38 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Edinburgh's poor form is probably due to having not played us since January 2nd and therefore not having their morale boosting 3 points and bucket load of goals to go with it...

Quite how we have contrived to lose 3/3 and ship 14 goals to them is still a source of bemusement to Airdrie fans when you look at their other results. Those 3 wins seem to have propped them up near the top of the table most of the season when really they are a similar level to Kelty Hearts I'd say.

The cup game at the start of the season adds to how bizarre it is too. It was a 1-1 draw but I think we hit the woodwork twice, missed a penalty plus plenty of other chances. They looked a poor team that night held together by Fontaine at the back, so for them to go and pump us in the next three games was unthinkable. There’s been mitigating circumstances in the two home games with Ballantyne’s red card and Jay Riley being woefully out of his depth but even so, baffling games that make even less sense as the season goes on.

57 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's mad. They have looked like L2 jobbers all 3 times we've played them  - hopeless.

Yes I am fully aware I have just caused the axes of the cosmos to shift which will enable them to pick up a win tomorrow night.

17 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

... Yes I am fully aware I have just caused the axes of the cosmos to shift which will enable them to pick up a win tomorrow night.

Attaboy RB ... taking responsibility for the cause makes it that bit easier down the line when dealing with the effect ... at least it's worked in the past for me, aye? 😏

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

The cup game at the start of the season adds to how bizarre it is too. It was a 1-1 draw but I think we hit the woodwork twice, missed a penalty plus plenty of other chances. They looked a poor team that night held together by Fontaine at the back, so for them to go and pump us in the next three games was unthinkable. There’s been mitigating circumstances in the two home games with Ballantyne’s red card and Jay Riley being woefully out of his depth but even so, baffling games that make even less sense as the season goes on.

Lyness also chucking one in at Edinburgh cost us that one too, however all the issues were self-inflicted so we can't complain.

I also think they are a big, physical and direct team which is what we struggle against. Against sides who want to play a bit we cope much better - beat St Mirren, took Dundee to ET, and we've been very competitive in all the Falkirk and Dunfermline games. Against worse, but more direct, physical sides like Edinburgh and Kelty we've really struggled to get results.

Hopefully the last game of the season is meaningless so we don't have to worry about whether we've found a way to beat them yet.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

they were third for quite some time though everybody's "surprise package" .

interesting to hear one of thier supporters comment on it  .

Edited by Vegetableman

On 17/04/2023 at 10:06, Otis Blue said:

... Edinburgh have chucked it for the season - they've comfortably consolidated their position in a higher league following promotion.  Job done ...

Yep, that post weathered well ...!

Anyone want me to pick some Lottery numbers for them?

Week 34

Falkirk 1 - 2 Edinburgh

Airdrie 1 - 1 Dunfermline
Alloa 1 - 4 Falkirk
Edinburgh 2 - 2 Kelty Hearts
Peterhead 1 - 1 Clyde
QoS 2 - 3 Montrose

Another big week, it largely seems all fairly obvious now. In terms of formal confirmation, Airdrie confirmed the playoffs and Falkirk clinched 2nd spot.

Dunfermline will presumably be pretty happy to get out of Airdrie with their long unbeaten run intact after having two players sent off at 1-1 and seeing out the last 20 mins or so anyway. They've already clinched the title.

Given the awful result at home to Edinburgh midweek, Falkirk will be delighted to have won heavily at Alloa which, combined with Airdrie's draw, clinches 2nd spot and they can play their cup semi final next week not worried about their last league game.

Airdrie missed an opportunity to end Dunfermline's run and slipped out of range of Falkirk. However, they'll be content to have wrapped up their playoff spot with 2 weeks to go. Three more points, or Alloa dropping 3, will clinch 3rd and a semi final v Falkirk.

Alloa lost heavily at home but although Edinburgh, Montrose and QoS technically remain in range, dropped points for QoS and Edinburgh in reality mean they are almost there. QoS and Montrose are almost certainly too far back in GD terms even if Alloa lost twice (though they do play Montrose head to head which could be interesting). Edinburgh have a better GD though so they can't totally relax yet. If Edinburgh beat Airdrie in their last game while Alloa lose to Dunfermline and Montrose it will be the capital club who sneak in. Edinburgh for their part could have made it even more interesting if they'd managed to beat Kelty at home but they didn't. Montrose slightly surprisingly kept their season alive thanks to QoS self destructing.

The biggest result was at the bottom where for most of the day Peterhead appeared to be narrowing Clyde's lead to 2 points with 2 games to go. However, Salkeld's 92nd minute equaliser surely condemns the Blue Toon to League 2. To avoid outright relegation they need to win both remaining games and have Clyde get nothing.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Week 35

Airdrie v QoS
Dunfermline v Clyde
Kelty v Peterhead
Montrose v Alloa

A reduced fixture list due to Falkirk's Scottish Cup semi final, and not an awful lot still to sort out besides the minor placings really:
Airdrie - Can clinch 3rd officially by getting a point more than Alloa, though with a 23 goal advantage, in practice, just matching Alloa will suffice.
Alloa - Can clinch the playoffs with a point v Montrose. Need to get at least a point more than Airdrie to maintain any chance of 3rd.
Montrose - Must beat Alloa to keep their season alive, and given a 7 goal GD deficit could do with doing so by at least 2 or 3 goals.
QoS - Must beat Airdrie and have Montrose beat Alloa to keep their season alive officially but being 12 goals back makes it a very long shot even if they did.
Clyde - Need to win to clinch 9th officially, or have Peterhead not win, though in practice given a massive GD advantage, only really need a point.
Peterhead - Need to win and have Clyde lose to keep their season alive, otherwise they will be relegated.

With all that in mind then game of the week is probably the Montrose v Alloa one where the teams are direct rivals and Montrose must win. If they do win though, especially if by a couple of goals, with Alloa having champions Dunfermline in the final week and Montrose potentially a Clyde side safe in 9th and protecting players for the playoffs, there would be a chance of the Angus side sneaking into the playoffs from nowhere. They'd also need Edinburgh not to beat Airdrie of course.

Our game with Edinburgh will potentially be the killer for Montrose and/or Alloa. They've beaten us 3 out of 3 already and so with a reserve side out resting players they are a near certainty to beat us, at the very least a draw, which puts Montrose (and Queens) out. Also means Alloa will need a point, which won't be easy with those 2 fixtures.

Alloa should have enough to pick up a point but if they lose on Saturday suddenly it becomes a bit of a problem with the Champions to play the next week.