THE RUN IN

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've gotta say, the arguing over minutiae here is magnificent.

I'm genuinely a massive fan. 

I only use ten games as a form guide anyway. 

The fact that Dunfermline are top in the last ten games is a happy coincidence. 

Good of us to settle our involvement in THE RUN IN quite so unequivocally today.

Well done Dunfermline and Alloa, and sort of, Clyde.

Everything meaningful has pretty much been settled, apart obviously from the outcomes of the play-offs.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Good of us to settle our involvement in THE RUN IN quite so unequivocally today.

Well done Dunfermline and Alloa, and sort of, Clyde.

Everything meaningful has pretty much been settled, apart obviously from the outcomes of the play-offs.

I appreciate everyone's disappointed today and its highly likely Alloa will win a game somewhere (and that we wont) but just so we are clear, the only thing 'settled' today was Dunfermline.

I'll do a detailed sum up asap. Likely tomorrow 

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I appreciate everyone's disappointed today and its highly likely Alloa will win a game somewhere (and that we wont) but just so we are clear, the only thing 'settled' today was Dunfermline.

I'll do a detailed sum up asap. Likely tomorrow 

Possibly why I said "pretty much".  Perfectly clear, I'd have thought.

Can't wait for the detail though.  God, I wish I could read league tables.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Possibly why I said "pretty much".  Perfectly clear, I'd have thought.

Can't wait for the detail though.  God, I wish I could read league tables.

Yeah, you also said we settled our involvement unequivocably. Which we didnt. So spare me the English lesson. 

Come on guys: enough of the arithmetic, statistics, permutations, Nostradamic philosophising, navel gazing, etc etc ... time to go back to the real world and leave this thread to those realistically involved now.

Over to the club thread now where we can debate recruitment for next season.

Edited by Otis Blue

Week 33 Results:

Clyde 2 - 1 FC Edinburgh
Dunfermline 5 - 0 QoS
Falkirk 2 - 2 Airdrie
Kelty 0 - 1 Alloa Ath
Montrose 2 - 1 Peterhead

Congratulations to Dunfermline Athletic who clinch League 1 with 3 matches to spare. They've been the best side from day one really despite Edinburgh early flirtations with the top. Thoroughly deserved.

It feels like a defining day in league 1. Not so much with Dunfermline despite their coronotion being confirmed yesterday. It's been obvious for weeks they were going to win. More so with Alloa (& Airdrie) who are now a game away from confirming the playoffs, and Clyde who have likely done the same at the other end.

Clyde 2 - 1 Edinburgh
Edinburgh's awful run goes on. They haven't won any of their last 6 games, including defeats to both of the bottom two in the last fortnight. Whilst theoretically they remain playoff contenders, 7 points adrift of Alloa, their season is winding down to a mid-table finish. For Clyde this was a massive result and lifts them 5 points head of Peterhead with 3 games left.

Dunfermline 5 - 0 QoS
Title confirmed for the hosts who came out of the traps like lions and had it more or less done by half time. For QoS, defeat (the margin is irrelevant), combined with Alloa's last gasp winner, all but ties up the Wasps in the last playoff spot.

Falkirk 2 - 2 Airdrie
A topsy turvey affair which was mostly about jockeying for position in the playoffs in which both teams led at one point but Burrell's late equaliser means nothing really changed. Falkirk were effectively guaranteed playoffs before yesterday but they have now formally confirmed them. In theory they could still finish as low as 4th but in practice you'd imagine 5 points clear in 2nd likely means 2nd is theirs. Alloa's victory yesterday pulls them back to within 2 points (three effectively) of Airdrie and QoS are 8 points behind so Airdrie need one more point (given their massive GD) to confirm themselves in the playoffs.

Kelty 0 - 1  Alloa
Massive result for Alloa. Dunfermline's heavy defeat of QoS was already good news for them but a draw wouldn't really have added much in reality so Connor Sammon's 93rd minute winner was absolutely massive. One more win will get them in (or QoS losing and Edinburgh not winning).

Montrose 2 - 1 Peterhead
Credit to Montrose whose season is effectively over for getting a win anyway but it means nothing much to them. It does pull them back into range of Edinburgh and QoS (indeed they could go 5th with a win next weekend) but they can't reach the playoffs at either end. They also won't now be caught by Kelty either. For Peterhead a fairly disastrous day. They had to stay within 3 points of Clyde and failed to do so. Their fate is now out of their own hands and to avoid outright relegation they'll need to win at least 2 of their last 3, including the head to head.

Week 34

Falkirk v Edinburgh (Tuesday)

Airdrie v Dunfermline
Alloa v Falkirk
Edinburgh v Kelty Hearts
Peterhead v Clyde
QoS v Montrose

We're at the business end now and a lot of things could be formalised on Saturday. Game of the week has looked for some time like it was going to be the battle of the bottom two, and it probably still is, but Clyde's win over Edinburgh has made it much less directly crucial than it appeared to be. There's an extra game this week as Falkirk bring forward their Week 35 game due to the Scottish Cup semi final.

Rather than look at matches individually, here's what might happen this week:

Dunfermline are confirmed as champions. They are playing only for pride and records now. 21 matches unbeaten and one defeat all season, we'll see if the "McPake won't allow them to ease off" testimonies are actually meaningful. They were very good yesterday to be fair.

Falkirk are already confirmed in the promotion playoffs. They could confirm 2nd spot by winning both games this week, or by winning one if Airdrie don't beat Dunfermline. If Airdrie were to lose then two draws would clinch 2nd.

Airdrie can clinch playoffs in reality (given that GD) with a point. Or with Queen of the South not winning.

Alloa can clinch the playoffs formally with a win and Queen of the South not winning. Given their 14 goal advantage they can also do so in practice with a point if QoS also draw and Edinburgh don't win. They can't formally clinch with a loss regardless though if QoS and Edinburgh both lose they would in practice be there with a 6 point lead and 14 goals.

QoS need to win and have Alloa not win to keep playoff hopes alive.

Edinburgh also need to win and have Alloa not win to keep playoff hopes alive.

Montrose are playing for nothing in practice. A point ensures they finish no lower than the 7th they now occupy. They need three points more than Alloa to formally keep alive playoff hopes but with GD they are pretty much already out of that anyway.

Kelty are playing for nothing, 16 points clear of 9th, 9 points adrift of 7th.

Clyde need to win to clinch the relegation playoffs and relegate Peterhead. In practice a point would do them fine.

Peterhead need to win to keep their hopes of playoffs instead of direct relegation alive really. Technically a point keeps it going another week though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

5 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Come on guys: enough of the arithmetic, statistics, permutations, Nostradamic philosophising, navel gazing, etc etc ... time to go back to the real world and leave this thread to those realistically involved now.

Though not realistic to you , technicaly you still can .  So hang around and input now and then it is fun if nothing else .

7 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I wouldn’t count you out quite yet. Would expect you to win next week. Dunfermline will be favourites to win at Airdrie, which would set up a huge match the following week. Given the last game in Dumfries, that could go either way. Away win, then Airdrie would need to get a result against Edinburgh on the final day (remember it’s 3 wins for Edi so far this season) while you should easily dispose of Kelty at home. Not over yet!

32 minutes ago, Mingus2000 said:

Dunfermline will be favourites to win at Airdrie

Airdrie have been our toughest opponent this season. Our boys have been celebrating all night. Not sure I would have us down as favourites for this one.

3 hours ago, Mingus2000 said:

I wouldn’t count you out quite yet. Would expect you to win next week. Dunfermline will be favourites to win at Airdrie, which would set up a huge match the following week. Given the last game in Dumfries, that could go either way. Away win, then Airdrie would need to get a result against Edinburgh on the final day (remember it’s 3 wins for Edi so far this season) while you should easily dispose of Kelty at home. Not over yet!

Yeah, we'll see your 3 Edinburgh wins and raise you 3 Kelty wins. 🙄

I'd not even considered catching Airdrie tbh. We need 3 wins and Alloa not to win any to sneak 4th. Long shot.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

An absolute mental scenario Airdrie and/or Alloa losing all their remaining games.... 

This isn’t outwith the realms of possibility. We have only taken four points from the previous 27 on offer against the next three opposition thus far. I would be feeling a lot better if we could have held out against Falkirk.

2 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Airdrie have been our toughest opponent this season. Our boys have been celebrating all night. Not sure I would have us down as favourites for this one.

The bookies still have Dunfermline as clear favourites for Sat. 11/10 Away win vs 2/1 home. One or two nights of partying shouldn’t affect them, with all week to recover.