THE RUN IN

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Doesn’t matter who we’ve got up front, majority of teams are coming to EEP and putting 11 men behind the ball and we can’t squeeze a fart, never mind a ball, in to decent positions for strikers to take advantage. Saying that, we created one amazing chance at the weekend there that Wighton 9/10 times would score. But if you were to give me Gallagher for the Championship next season instead of O’Hara, Todorov, and McCann, I’d definitely take him.

Always going to happen but it’s upto you guys to break them down. Weirdly I think Gallagher would possibly struggle in the championship 

3 hours ago, Aufc said:

Always going to happen but it’s upto you guys to break them down. Weirdly I think Gallagher would possibly struggle in the championship 

From what I've seen I don't think there are many at other teams who are quite clearly playing below their level.

If we were to sign Gallagher I'd be optimistic but not expectant of him to do well at a higher level.

Frizell, Scougall and Callum Morrison ditto.

Good, if lucky result for Queens today.

Would have preferred a Pars win at the Bairnabeu today so that they could win the league on Tuesday at Peterhead and be on the beach against us next Saturday. However, if the Bairns fail to beat Mo on Tuesday and the Pars win then (I think) that would also do it for us.

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Good, if lucky result for Queens today.

Would have preferred a Pars win at the Bairnabeu today so that they could win the league on Tuesday at Peterhead and be on the beach against us next Saturday. However, if the Bairns fail to beat Mo on Tuesday and the Pars win then (I think) that would also do it for us.

We would equal a club unbeaten run against Queens so I would doubt even if we win the league we will be easing off against you lot but we have been rancid at home the last two games.

6 minutes ago, 101 said:

We would equal a club unbeaten run against Queens so I would doubt even if we win the league we will be easing off against you lot but we have been rancid at home the last two games.

Always hard to predict how a team reacts when the pressure comes off. On the one hand they might not be as committed to getting stuck in, but equally they could relax and produce free flowing football for what will be a big attendance in party mode. Who knows? Either way, hope it's a done deal before next Saturday.

1 minute ago, Otis Blue said:

Always hard to predict how a team reacts when the pressure comes off. On the one hand they might not be as committed to getting stuck in, but equally they could relax and produce free flowing football for what will be a big attendance in party mode. Who knows? Either way, hope it's a done deal before next Saturday.

We will obviously find out soon enough but I would be disappointed to lose against Queens just because we have been on the piss when a club record is at stake.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

We will obviously find out soon enough but I would be disappointed to lose against Queens just because we have been on the piss when a club record is at stake.

Do you think club records like that really mean that much to the players though. It's the league flag and auto promotion that's the big deal ... anything else is just icing on the cake.

I've got a sneaky feeling though that it won't be sorted on Tuesday and so Saturday will be a big deal for both sides. Could be a cracker.

21 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Do you think club records like that really mean that much to the players though. It's the league flag and auto promotion that's the big deal ... anything else is just icing on the cake.

I've got a sneaky feeling though that it won't be sorted on Tuesday and so Saturday will be a big deal for both sides. Could be a cracker.

It’s something mcpake has being going on about for a while,  I think there will be focus on getting it.  

good thread this for keeping track of all the changes, despite our cracking run of form still not taking anything for granted as we have a very hard four games, QOTS maybe coming good at the right time and could see them doing something similar to queens park and getting up by hitting form at the right time. Would never back us in the playoffs after continual disapointment going back to the Hibs playoff at Broadwood but I suspose we have to win one eventually...

On 02/04/2023 at 13:30, Skyline Drifter said:

Week 32
Airdrie v Montrose
Alloa v QoS
Falkirk v Dunfermline
Kelty v Clyde
Peterhead v Edinburgh

An interesting week again in the run in. The meeting of the top two will take most of the focus but with results this weekend meaning Dunfermline can't clinch the title yet, for me (I am biased to be fair) the most interesting game is Alloa v QoS.

Airdrie v Montrose - The home side are on a great run with 4 consecutive wins at the right part of the season and the playoffs are in their own hands. 60 points will certainly do, 55 or 56 may well be enough so this is a big game for them. They have the top two to follow and then QoS so they'd like to get points on the board first I'm sure, despite the likelihood that Falkirk and Dunfermline will be playing for nothing by the time they meet them. For Montrose this is pretty much last chance saloon. In reality they'll need to win at least 5 of their last 6 to make the playoffs and defeat here will certainly put Airdrie out of reach.

Alloa v QoS - Big game in playoff terms. Alloa's defeat this week combined with QoS stretching their run to 4 wins and a draw in their last five means the gap is down to 6 points. Alloa's GD is better but not overwhelmingly so. A QoS win, especially if it's by 2 or 3 goals will make things very tight in there. On the other hand an Alloa win probably kills off QoS and Montrose and leaves Edinburgh with the only outside chance of changing the playoff set up. You'd imagine Alloa would be reasonably happy with a draw.

Falkirk v Dunfermline - Title not on the line but Falkirk haven't scored , never mind won, in four games. Victory for the Pars would put them 14 clear and let them clinch the league in midweek at Peterhead (or if Falkirk fail to beat Montrose).

Kelty v Clyde - It's been a decent week ultimately for Clyde who ground out a point against Falkirk and saw Peterhead fail to do the same despite an improved performance at QoS. Peterhead's game in hand now looks like it might see the title on the line for Dunfermline so taking anything from it is a reach. Clyde are 4 ahead and if they can hold on to that gap then even defeat in the upcoming head to head won't hurt them too badly. They have a very comfortable GD advantage too so Peterhead are going to need to haul 5 points back. For Kelty the game's no more than a bynote. They will almost certainly finish in 8th whatever happens.

Peterhead v Edinburgh - Games are running out for the Blue Toon. 4 points and substantial GD behind Clyde, nothing less than a win will do when they meet at Balmoor in 3 weeks. That won't even be enough though if they don't find another couple of points somewhere. Home to Edinburgh has to be one they target. For the visitors, despite collecting only 1 point from two home games, the playoffs remain in reach, 4 points behind Alloa and the bottom three all to play in their last 5 games.

So then, the twists and turns of week 32:

Airdrie v Montrose - closer than the score suggests but in the end a comfortable win for Airdrie that moves them closer to Falkirk and to within 5 pts of clinching a playoff spot. Montrose theoretically remain outsiders for the playoffs but this defeat probably finishes them in practice.

Alloa v QoS - Crucial win for QoS taking their current run to 16 pts from a possible 18. They are now 3 pts behind Alloa with 4 to play. Alloa miss the chance to all but wrap up the top 4. 

Falkirk v Dunfermline - Draw more use to the Pars really and given Falkirk chucked a two goal lead away it will feel like a loss. Falkirk crawling a point nearer the playoffs but not formally clinched yet.

Kelty v Clyde - this week's 'nothing' game ultimately yields what might be a precious away point for the Bully Wee. Although they do move a point nearer Montrose in reality this is another result on the way to 8th for Kelty.

Peterhead v Edinburgh - the big surprise aa Peterhead do what they almost did last week and pinch a win to move with a game of Clyde with that crucial home game to come. Edinburgh's season is falling apart and they drop to 6th though theoretically remaining in a playoff race.

Week 33 part 1

Montrose v Falkirk

Peterhead v Dunfermline

Couple of midweek games to bring everyone back on schedule ahead of the last 4 games. Dunfermline will clinch the title (& promotion) if they collect 2 points more than Falkirk do. Otherwise they will move to to EEP next saturday v QoS. Fallirk though, 4 games without a win, can clinch the playoffs with a win (& hold up Pars promotion party too). Nothing less than a win will do to keep Montrose faint hopes of playoffs alive, whilst Peterhead could climb off the bottom if they win.

It's been mentioned I think already but a big factor could well be what Dunfermline, Falkirk, and also Clyde and Peterhead have to play for in the final games. Falkirk will be in preparation mode for their semi-final and the play-offs once Dunfermline win the league (could argue they have been for the last month..). Dunfermline will be 'on the beach' - I know they have an unbeaten run but it will surely take an edge off them. And if Clyde have 9th tied up (looking less likely) they'll also be in play-off preparation mode.

I do think the play-offs add to the league, as much as we've had an awful time with them. But this is definitely one issue with them. Especially when there is no real advantage to finishing in a higher play-off position like in the Championship.

I genuinely don’t think the teams in the play offs will let up if they have already secured their position. The likes of Airdrie are on a good run which they will want to keep up whilst falkirk will want to try get some form back. Dunfermline will possibly relax a bit which is natural

28 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I genuinely don’t think the teams in the play offs will let up if they have already secured their position. The likes of Airdrie are on a good run which they will want to keep up whilst falkirk will want to try get some form back. Dunfermline will possibly relax a bit which is natural

In the last game of last season we made 9 changes and went from a side who beat Clyde 5-0 away the previous week to drawing 1-1 at home to Peterhead, a match that we'd have won comfortably with our first 11. There is no doubt whatsoever that a team who is assured of their play-off position will play a second string side on the last game, they'd be crazy not to with play-off games 3 days later. How far before the end of the season teams do that is debatable. The only side who will definitely have that luxury of doing it before the final game this season will be Falkirk, and add in the Scottish semi-final and I'd say it's very likely they'll rotate the squad and be trying to avoid injuries and suspensions.

16 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I do think the play-offs add to the league, as much as we've had an awful time with them. But this is definitely one issue with them. Especially when there is no real advantage to finishing in a higher play-off position like in the Championship.

Bigger league numbers two automatic promotion up 4th plays 3rd bottom then a final between that winner and 3rd.

I've always used the phrase the league table never lies but in our leagues of 10 it does when it comes to the play offs.

A god awful Falkirk last season, worst I've seen won more games than promoted Queens Park.

The play offs are way much better run in England 

Edited by MrDust

8 hours ago, Yankee_Dollar said:

Out of the possible three teams in a play off, I'd fancy Airdrie to get the chance to play whoever from the championships 2nd bottom side. 

They can get that simply by finishing 4th.

Looking back at last season I'm not surprised Queens Park managed to win the play offs. The league table shows that they only conceded 36 goals last season and lost 7 games.

They drew a half of their games which is madness, but despite being the most boring team on the face of the earth drawing 1-1 with everyone, the format of the play offs definitely suited them.

Those competing for the play offs this season are teams who are more inconsistent and have conceded more goals, so I definitely think momentum matters. One team I'm definitely fearful of is QOS (if they get there) as they are on an excellent run of form just now.

I'm well aware of our play off record as is every Airdrie fan, but I definitely think this run in will be very exciting and it's very difficult to predict.

Screenshot_20230409_210502_Chrome.jpg