THE RUN IN

As others have mentioned, airdrie played St Mirren off the park earlier this season, Dundee fans said we were one of the best teams at dens park this season and we have scudded most teams in the league this season (the 4-3 defeat to Dunfermline was bizarre and due to a sending off). If we get to the play offs then we have a good chance to get through them. We also have the ability to completely crumble. We seem to be on a good run at the moment so will be an interesting run in

I will get slagged for this but I reckon if both teams are on form then we are as good as Dunfermline. However, they have been most consistent and picked up points even when playing shite so deserve to win the league

Had a look at the next few fixtures. Airdrie could be a point behind falkirk by next Saturday if results go our way. Falkirks game in hand is montrose away which is a tough game. Then it’s airdrie v falkirk after that. Could be interestint

48 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Had a look at the next few fixtures. Airdrie could be a point behind falkirk by next Saturday if results go our way. Falkirks game in hand is montrose away which is a tough game. Then it’s airdrie v falkirk after that. Could be interestint

Would be nice to finish 2nd but it makes no material difference between 2nd and 3rd, and we know all too well that finishing 2nd and form going into the play-offs counts for very little, so I'm not really concerned about that. I think our only focus should be to keep everyone else at arm's length and get ourselves top 4.

Weirdly, if I could hand pick a finishing position right now I'd probably pick 4th as Cove and Hamilton look awful. I'd then probably pick 3rd as I'd rather be away to Falkirk in the 2nd leg for some reason (too many bad memories at home in play-offs I think!). But I don't really think it matters where we finish.

Clearly we aren't in a position to be picky though, anywhere in the top 4 is job done.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Would be nice to finish 2nd but it makes no material difference between 2nd and 3rd, and we know all too well that finishing 2nd and form going into the play-offs counts for very little, so I'm not really concerned about that. I think our only focus should be to keep everyone else at arm's length and get ourselves top 4.

Weirdly, if I could hand pick a finishing position right now I'd probably pick 4th as Cove and Hamilton look awful. I'd then probably pick 3rd as I'd rather be away to Falkirk in the 2nd leg for some reason (too many bad memories at home in play-offs I think!). But I don't really think it matters where we finish.

Clearly we aren't in a position to be picky though, anywhere in the top 4 is job done.

I would need to check but think there is a decent financial difference between 2nd and 4th. So for that reason you want to finish 2nd

Just now, Aufc said:

I would need to check but think there is a decent financial difference between 2nd and 4th. So for that reason you want to finish 2nd

There is, but that is dwarfed by the difference it would make to get promoted, so finishing in a position which would (theoretically) give us a better chance of promotion is more important.

All academic clearly because we are in no position to play about with league placings, but guess my point was that I don't really care which position we end up in as long as it's not below 4th. I'm probably a pessimist but I'm still looking down the league rather than up!

Montrose well and truly out the running off the top 4 this year.To much of a stop start season never really got going for whatever reason.

We will be back!

Edited by mo83

On 28/03/2023 at 11:25, Skyline Drifter said:

This week's fixtures:

Alloa v Airdrie
Clyde v Falkirk
Dunfermline v Kelty
Edinburgh v Montrose
QoS v Peterhead

No doubt where the pick of the games is. It's at the Indodrill where Alloa and Airdrie will decide who is in pole position to clinch the 2nd playoff spot potentially. Certainly an Alloa win to go 5 points clear of Airdrie with 5 games to go will be a relatively decent gap. Especially with Dunfermline to come at home on the last day when the title will be long clinched. A draw will keep things tight between them and an Airdrie win would really put them in pole position though they have for me the slightly harder run in.

Elsewhere you'd expect Falkirk to return to winning form at Clyde and QoS to beat Peterhead (new manager in place by the weekend?). Montrose's faint hopes would be ended by anything other than a win at Edinburgh surely. An Edinburgh win though puts them right back in the mix despite last week's loss. The Fife derby will be competitive no doubt but Kelty are fundamentally playing for nothing now (can't go down, will be confirmed as not going up within the fortnight and in reality are destined for 8th) and I'd be very surprised if Dunfermline don't ease to another win on their way to the title.

It never quite goes as expected does it? 

I doubt anyone saw BOTH Dunfermline and Falkirk drawing 0-0. Gap between them remains 11 points with now 18 to play for. The Pars cannot now win the league at Falkirk next week but could conceivably do so at Peterhead midweek after

Big gainers of the week were Airdrie who moved clear in 3rd. QoS made heavy weather of beating Peterhead but did do so and moved closer to Alloa and Edinburgh and further ahead of Montrose. Clyde's surprise point increases their chances of clinching 9th whilst Kelty's point is ultimately meaningless.

Both Edinburgh and Montrose no doubt see their draw as a bad result but it does move both a point closer to Alloa and were they to win their game in hand Montrose would still be above QoS.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 hours ago, Aufc said:

... and we have scudded most teams in the league this season ...

Hate to be picky (and I know you qualified this by saying "most") but ... so far Queens have played Airdrie three times to date and its been two draws and a win for Queens - so I don't think we've been exactly "scudded" by Airdrie this season - despite us being shite for most of the season.

You'll still make the playoffs very comfortably though.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Montrose well and truly out the running off the top 4 this year.To much of a stop start season never really got going for whatever reason.

We will be back!

I'm not so sure. You have an extra game, and have the banker of Peterhead at home in your remaining fixtures. You also have Clyde in the last game where they will very likely be playing a reserve side to rest players for the play-off.

I do think you'll need to beat us next week though. If you do then suddenly you are in a good position because at least one of Alloa and Queens will be dropping points, plus like I say I think you already have 6 points banked from the Peterhead and Clyde games that you have left. You also play Queens and Alloa in the last 3 games so will have the chance to catch them.

I'm not saying you will make it but I'd rather be in your position than Queen of the South's - going by remaining fixtures at least, if not form.

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm not so sure. You have an extra game, and have the banker of Peterhead at home in your remaining fixtures. You also have Clyde in the last game where they will very likely be playing a reserve side to rest players for the play-off.

I do think you'll need to beat us next week though. If you do then suddenly you are in a good position because at least one of Alloa and Queens will be dropping points, plus like I say I think you already have 6 points banked from the Peterhead and Clyde games that you have left. You also play Queens and Alloa in the last 3 games so will have the chance to catch them.

I'm not saying you will make it but I'd rather be in your position than Queen of the South's - going by remaining fixtures at least, if not form.

A like your thinking!!

I hope that it does work out like that but just can't see we could come close maybe but don't think we will be in the top 4.

Actually think it could be your time to step up to the championship,easy the best team I've seen at LP this year and you boys are scoring for fun at the moment.

21 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Hate to be picky (and I know you qualified this by saying "most") but ... so far Queens have played Airdrie three times to date and its been two draws and a win for Queens - so I don't think we've been exactly "scudded" by Airdrie this season - despite us being shite for most of the season.

Aye you edinburgh and Dunfermline have avoided it. Dunfermline would have been on the end of one had we not fucked it. Still time to add you boys to the list but will happily take a scrappy 1-0 win 

34 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Think the keys point was ‘most’ teams. Not all teams.

3 hours ago, Aufc said:

As others have mentioned, airdrie played St Mirren off the park earlier this season, Dundee fans said we were one of the best teams at dens park this season and we have scudded most teams in the league this season (the 4-3 defeat to Dunfermline was bizarre and due to a sending off). If we get to the play offs then we have a good chance to get through them. We also have the ability to completely crumble. We seem to be on a good run at the moment so will be an interesting run in

I will get slagged for this but I reckon if both teams are on form then we are as good as Dunfermline. However, they have been most consistent and picked up points even when playing shite so deserve to win the league

Not difficult ATM. Your defence has let you down. Pars have only conceded 17 goals so far. I do fancy Airdrie in the play-offs. [Assuming we can limp to the title]

41 minutes ago, Paranoid said:

Not difficult ATM. Your defence has let you down. Pars have only conceded 17 goals so far. I do fancy Airdrie in the play-offs. [Assuming we can limp to the title]

Oddly enough I think we’ve kept the most clean sheets outside of Dunfermline, it’s just that when we do concede we have the tendency to go on and concede a few more, as you’ve seen. The defence we’ve been going with recently has been a lot more experienced and settled so I’m hopeful we’ve turned a corner there.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Clyde had 4 subs named a couple of weeks ago and 2 of them were goalies. We don’t have a reserve side! 

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The fixtures look pretty similar tbh. The main difference is we have 3 more points just now. A bird in the hand and all that. 

I do think it's Alloa's and Airdrie's to lose and we're effectively sudden death in every game we play the now but as I've said, it's great being in a position that we have something to play for with 5 games to go given how shite we've been all season. 

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The fixtures look pretty similar tbh. The main difference is we have 3 more points just now. A bird in the hand and all that. 

I do think it's Alloa's and Airdrie's to lose and we're effectively sudden death in every game we play the now but as I've said, it's great being in a position that we have something to play for with 5 games to go given how shite we've been all season. 

I think that's it really, that we still have some interesting games to play in the run in is excellent, it's what we go for really.