THE RUN IN

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Try reading properly you Twit.

To be fair, if he's reading on the App rather than on a browser, it doesn't show the poster's team supported. What he actually said didn't make it obvious he wasn't a QoS fan, although he did refer to "they" rather than "we".

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

To be fair, if he's reading on the App rather than on a browser, it doesn't show the poster's team supported. What he actually said didn't make it obvious he wasn't a QoS fan, although he did refer to "they" rather than "we".

He should have known that we're not ones for such bombast.

If he's more familiar with the Falkirk thread, however, it's probably just how he thinks it's done.

On 09/04/2023 at 02:09, Skyline Drifter said:

Week 33 part 1

Montrose v Falkirk

Peterhead v Dunfermline

Couple of midweek games to bring everyone back on schedule ahead of the last 4 games. Dunfermline will clinch the title (& promotion) if they collect 2 points more than Falkirk do. Otherwise they will move to to EEP next saturday v QoS. Fallirk though, 4 games without a win, can clinch the playoffs with a win (& hold up Pars promotion party too). Nothing less than a win will do to keep Montrose faint hopes of playoffs alive, whilst Peterhead could climb off the bottom if they win.

No surprises tonight despite Montrose worrying Falkirk in the last 5 mins. Two away wins.

Montrose 1 - 2 Falkirk
It's not formal (as QoS can also get to 60 points) but with a GD advantage of 26 and 4 games to go, playoffs are wrapped up for Falkirk. Chances of going in as 2nd place side are improved, and Dunfermline not handed the title tonight. Was as much as they could have hoped for ultimately. For Montrose, defeat effectively ends their playoff chances in any practical sense.

Peterhead 0 - 2 Dunfermline
It sounded like they huffed and puffed a bit, certainly up to half time, but job done. Winning the title tonight was out of their own hands but Dunfermline did their bit and are now 11 points clear of Falkirk with 4 games to go (and a 7 GD advantage also). Victory on Saturday v QoS will clinch the title (or Falkirk not winning against Airdrie. Peterhead remain bottom and their game in hand has gone. Huge game v Clyde coming up in a week.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

31 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

More than happy that Dunfermline now need to dig out a performance at home on Saturday to win the title. Hopefully they can put the QOTS mini revival to bed once and for all.

It's a game I'd earmarked as the one we could afford/expect to lose so it's not disastrous if we do tbh. It'll stop the winning streak of course but I don't think it will kill off our chances. We'll next to win our last 3 games though. 

Week 33 Part 2
Clyde v Edinburgh
Dunfermline v QoS
Falkirk v Airdrie
Kelty v Alloa
Montrose v Peterhead

Every game has something significant riding on it this week but I guess game of the week is probably at East End Park where Dunfermline will look to clinch the title against the division's form side QoS.

Clyde v Edinburgh
Clyde's task is to keep Peterhead behind them. In that context a home game against an Edinburgh side with no win in 5 is an opportunity to extend the lead beyond 3 points before the big head to head. Despite their awful run Edinburgh remain in the playoff picture but simply have to win this to continue having fallen behind both Alloa and QoS.

Dunfermline v QoS
A win clinches the title for Dunfermline (they could win it without winning if Falkirk don't win of course). One point won't do if Falkirk do win though. For QoS it's a crucial game too though as last week's win moved them within 3 points of the playoffs and with Alloa at a Kelty side playing for nothing, they probably can't afford to drop points.

Falkirk v Airdrie
Mostly just about jockeying for position this. Falkirk will likely concede the title on Saturday one way or another and have clinched their playoff spot. Airdrie are 3rd, 5 points adrift. Whilst Airdrie are not certain to finish above Alloa if the Wasps can win 3 or 4 of their last 4, it's likely this game is a dress rehearsal for a playoff semi final. Airdrie need to win to have any chance of hosting the 2nd leg of that semi final.

Kelty v Alloa
Meaningless game for the hosts who are destined to finish 8th, though they could in theory catch Montrose. Much bigger game for Alloa who are now under pressure for their playoff spot after two successive home losses. They probably need to win 2 of their last 4 to tie up the last spot.

Montrose v Peterhead
Also pretty meaningless for the hosts with tonight effectively ending their hopes of the playoffs. Peterhead really need to at least match whatever Clyde do. Lsing ground on Clyde probably = relegation.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's a game I'd earmarked as the one we could afford/expect to lose so it's not disastrous if we do tbh. It'll stop the winning streak of course but I don't think it will kill off our chances. We'll next to win our last 3 games though. 

Depends on the attitude of 4 teams who are playing for nothing. I'd much prefer Alloa's fixture list. Kelty who are all but confirmed in 8th, Falkirk who have clinched playoffs (and if they were to beat Airdrie on Saturday will in effect have clinched 2nd) and have a Scottish Cup semi final around the corner, Montrose whose campaign effectively ended tonight, and a Dunfermline team who will not only be champions by then but will have got their trophy and medals the week before.

Appreciate we also have Montrose and Kelty but we need to make up ground, not achieve the same. We may also face an Airdrie side playing for nothing much to be fair but even if we get 9 points, Alloa only need 6 points to finish ahead of us (barring some sort of crazy GD swing).

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Depends on the attitude of 4 teams who are playing for nothing. I'd much prefer Alloa's fixture list. Kelty who are all but confirmed in 8th, Falkirk who have clinched playoffs (and if they were to beat Airdrie on Saturday will in effect have clinched 2nd) and have a Scottish Cup semi final around the corner, Montrose whose campaign effectively ended tonight, and a Dunfermline team who will not only be champions by then but will have got their trophy and medals the week before.

Appreciate we also have Montrose and Kelty but we need to make up ground, not achieve the same. We may also face an Airdrie side playing for nothing much to be fair but even if we get 9 points, Alloa only need 6 points to finish ahead of us (barring some sort of crazy GD swing).

Aye I'd rather be in Alloa's place certainly. But they are under more pressure than us as they're expected to do it from here. Hopefully the pressure gets to them and we continue with how we've been doing and creep ahead. 

That's kind of how I'm hoping Saturday goes as well. I have a feeling it'll go one of two ways though: the pressure will either feel the pressure and drop points or (what I fear) they'll turn it on and gub us. 

34 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I guess game of the week is probably at East End Park where Dunfermline will look to clinch the title against the division's form side QoS.

In fairness, the division probably has two of those.  Airdrie have a decent claim to be considered a "form side" too.

45 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye I'd rather be in Alloa's place certainly. But they are under more pressure than us as they're expected to do it from here. Hopefully the pressure gets to them and we continue with how we've been doing and creep ahead. 

That's kind of how I'm hoping Saturday goes as well. I have a feeling it'll go one of two ways though: the pressure will either feel the pressure and drop points or (what I fear) they'll turn it on and gub us. 

I don't really see how they are (yet) under more pressure than us. We're pretty much in must win territory and have been for weeks. Initially it was a bit of a free hit but now it's week by week and nothing less will do really. They can still afford at least one loss. Two if we lose at Dunfermline.

28 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In fairness, the division probably has two of those.  Airdrie have a decent claim to be considered a "form side" too.

They do. Depends how far back you decide to go for "form". I imagine Dunfermline, 20 games unbeaten, might also contend they have a good case! We are top of the form table I looked at though and it suited my narrative! 😛

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't really see how they are (yet) under more pressure than us. We're pretty much in must win territory and have been for weeks. Initially it was a bit of a free hit but now it's week by week and nothing less will do really. They can still afford at least one loss. Two if we lose at Dunfermline.

Because they have it to lose. It's not in our hands. If we do reach the playoffs it's because Alloa will have slipped up. If we get a 'shock' result on Saturday the pressure will be really on Alloa. 

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Because they have it to lose. It's not in our hands. If we do reach the playoffs it's because Alloa will have slipped up. If we get a 'shock' result on Saturday the pressure will be really on Alloa. 

Yeah, but the key point is they can afford to lose. We need them to drop at least 4 points, and thats if we take 12 pts. 

They're not really under any great pressure for now. If we close within 3 points they will be, but not yet. We have to keep getting results and are clearly under more pressure for me.

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

... but I guess game of the week is probably at East End Park where Dunfermline will look to clinch the title against the division's form side QoS ...

Amazing, wind the clock back a few short months and who'd a thunk anyone could've sensibly written those words about QOS in a sentence this season, eh?

As pointed out by SD etc on here, it still looks a long shot for Queens and the last place is Alloa's to lose.  Marvin's brought some long awaited enthusiasm back to our fans at long last though.

10 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Amazing, wind the clock back a few short months and who'd a thunk anyone could've sensibly written those words about QOS in a sentence this season, eh?

As pointed out by SD etc on here, it still looks a long shot for Queens and the last place is Alloa's to lose.  Marvin's brought some long awaited enthusiasm back to our fans at long last though.

For what it's worth, Marvin Bartley has now been in charge for 11 league games. He has 7 wins, 1 draw (v Clyde, where we were controversially denied a last minute winner) and 3 losses.

His 3 losses were:
His first game at Montrose where we slightly harshly lost 1-0 and Todd missed a late penalty.
A 3-0 loss at Kelty where we were awful second half having possibly shaded the 1st half.
A 2-0 home loss to Dunfermline where we didn't really lay a glove on them.

Kelty 2nd half apart arguably our worst showings have been in the last two wins v Peterhead and Alloa (and maybe the draw at Clyde, I missed that game so not sure how bad it was).

EDITED to add we also lost in extra time to Hamilton in the SPFL Trust Trophy semi final. Ran out of legs in that one and 3 of his 4 new signings were cup tied and unavailable.

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

The only bit that’s not right is QotS being the league’s form side. A quick look at Sporting Life’s Last Five form guide gives that accolade (rightly) to Airdrie……five straight wins versus QotS’ four wins and a draw.

36 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

The only bit that’s not right is QotS being the league’s form side. A quick look at Sporting Life’s Last Five form guide gives that accolade (rightly) to Airdrie……five straight wins versus QotS’ four wins and a draw.

That 5 game figure is a bit arbitrary though.

Go back 6 and you take in us beating Airdrie.

1 hour ago, Duncan Freemason said:

As MT already pointed out, convenient you picked 5 games to look at rather than say the 6 most websites look at seeing as that actually includes us beating Airdrie. 🙄

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As MT already pointed out, convenient you picked 5 games to look at rather than say the 6 most websites look at seeing as that actually includes us beating Airdrie. 🙄

Not convenient at all. No cut and paste, no modification or clipping off of facts and figures. Taken from Britain’s biggest sports and betting web sites.

Sorry to disappoint you in your search for “aye but”.

25B3832E-7674-4F17-A996-1C94553AA42F.jpeg

Edited by Duncan Freemason

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Didn't realise most websites use 6, that's news to me. 

I always thought last 5 was pretty commonly used. BBC use it on their site for all league tables, and as @Duncan Freemason points out that also tends to be the way of it on betting sites as well, at least that I've ever used.

Anyway; form is, of course, temporary. Everyone now caught up going into the final four fixtures. We're going to start seeing some things decided, and quickly. 

Dunfermline have strolled the title, but that (and the gap between 9th and 8th) aside, it really is a tasty wee run in.