Arbroath FC vs Dundee FC - 08/04/23

59 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Aside from Partick, Arbroath have definitely been our bogey team this season, with Arbroath just as able to net past us as we can against them. This should be a very competitive affair, and though I wondered if the element of surprise from our last encounter with them signing 3 new players right before the game might be gone, Arbroath have found a very rich vein of form in stifling opponents and catching them unaware.

We've been cutting teams apart as of late and been very stout at the back, but when we start conceding goals we have a bad habit of continuing to do so. In short, this is the type of game which could well truly show if we have the chops to take this league for ourselves or not.

Not been to an away game for a little bit but this one is tempting, as despite how little I've enjoyed my times at Gayfield in the past 😜

The one thing playing Arbroath is they won't sit in like some teams but try and attack us.

They'll no doubt create chances but so will we.  Can see this being a high scoring match again (cue 0-0 draw).

Looking like being another close match.

Dundee are in the in form team and looking like serious title contenders.

But Arbroath are the most improved team in the league and have already proved they can give Dundee a game.

I would be very happy with a draw from this match - this will be Arbroath's toughest match since they have regained their mojo and confidence.

So, a close match between two in-form teams - but I'd be happy with a point.

Hopefully get around 5000 attending this match.

31 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Looking like being another close match.

Dundee are in the in form team and looking like serious title contenders.

But Arbroath are the most improved team in the league and have already proved they can give Dundee a game.

I would be very happy with a draw from this match - this will be Arbroath's toughest match since they have regained their mojo and confidence.

So, a close match between two in-form teams - but I'd be happy with a point.

Hopefully get around 5000 attending this match.

Only the most improved side cause we had such a low bar to start with tbf. If we started the season with the squad we’ve got right now I think we’d be comfortable right now. 

The players didn’t become bad players overnight. The standouts and stalwarts from last season took a lot of stick at certain points but it takes 11 players on the park carrying out their own wee part that helps the group overall 

We are still a long way away from safe though but we’ve given ourself a wee bit of hope and breathing space and should avoid bottom spot now. I’d say worst case scenario right now is a play off 

We just couldn't deal with the wind last time round. Bowyer looked utterly bewildered, Legzdins kept asking the players to come short only to be ignored and then subsequently barely clear his box as it went out for a throw-in to Arbroath, we completely lost the midfield and tried to play the same style as Arbroath were playing but only worse and the players started fighting with the crowd at the end.

Can only be better than that.

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Only the most improved side cause we had such a low bar to start with tbf. If we started the season with the squad we’ve got right now I think we’d be comfortable right now. 

The players didn’t become bad players overnight. The standouts and stalwarts from last season took a lot of stick at certain points but it takes 11 players on the park carrying out their own wee part that helps the group overall 

We are still a long way away from safe though but we’ve given ourself a wee bit of hope and breathing space and should avoid bottom spot now. I’d say worst case scenario right now is a play off 

Yeah, anyone who thinks we’re as good as safe needs to give their heid a shake. I would say the very minimum we need is 37-38 points, possibly more. A few weeks ago Accies were beating everyone and looking like they would comfortably beat the drop. After recent league results and Saturday’s scudding they’re back in the sh1t though and that could easily happen to us.

If we can take 4 points from the next 3 games then the Cove home game “could” be the game that decides it for us. However, we could lose the next 3 and the Cove game then becomes critical. Also no reason why Cove or Accies can’t find a bit of form again. The challenge cup result proves that Accies can still get results and, even though I think Cove have chucked it, they definitely have the capability to get results.

Happy with a draw for this.

2 hours ago, Wee jeemie said:

Really hope Arbroath stay up , when I was wee , I used to watch them when Dundee were away from home , I’d go stay with my aunt in Arbroath, great team back then , jimmy jack , Dennis Bruce , Brian Cant, Sellers , Graham paynes brither , and the captain Stirling , but com on the Dees we need to win this one 

Presenting Play School & captaining the Lichties. Was there no end to this man's talents?

Brian Cant was a presenter on Play School for more than two decades from the mid 1960s.

Jimmy Cant wore the number 8 shirt between 1962 & 1975

25 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Yeah, anyone who thinks we’re as good as safe needs to give their heid a shake. I would say the very minimum we need is 37-38 points, possibly more. A few weeks ago Accies were beating everyone and looking like they would comfortably beat the drop. After recent league results and Saturday’s scudding they’re back in the sh1t though and that could easily happen to us.

If we can take 4 points from the next 3 games then the Cove home game “could” be the game that decides it for us. However, we could lose the next 3 and the Cove game then becomes critical. Also no reason why Cove or Accies can’t find a bit of form again. The challenge cup result proves that Accies can still get results and, even though I think Cove have chucked it, they definitely have the capability to get results.

Happy with a draw for this.

Without jinxing it I think Cove are totally and utterly fucked. They’ve won once in their last 14 I am sure and the stats showed that Thistle absolutely battered them that day. Conceding a ridiculous amount of goals. The results right now are as bad as anything I can ever remember seeing at this level. We could’ve done with them 2 playing each other a wee bitty further down the line cause there’s a 2/3rds of a chance that one of them will get 3 points and a wee pick me up boost. 

However just got to concentrate on ourselves. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Recall John Fletcher consistently impressing playing against Dundee and being then delighted we'd signed him for as little as £20,000 iirc.  Ludicrously blonde hair, even for the 1970's lucky fellow, early teens for me to truly judge a player , however always appeared an honest and industrious hardworking team player, imho.

johnfletcher.jpg.2303a3df055ea9b980c3413f7ad92c41.jpg 

5 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Recall John Fletcher consistently impressing playing against Dundee and being then delighted we'd signed him for as little as £20,000 iirc.  Ludicrously blonde hair, even for the 1970's lucky fellow, early teens for me to truly judge a player , however always appeared an honest and industrious hardworking team player, imho.

johnfletcher.jpg.2303a3df055ea9b980c3413f7ad92c41.jpg 

What a gorgeous kit that is 

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Draw at Cove v Hamilton would really be the icing on the cake 

We’ve done well v Dundee in all 3 games. Won one of them and could’ve won the other 2 as well although all 3 games really could’ve went either way. Could’ve as easily lost all 3 too however we have definitely been competitive and again if we get stuck in and get in about them I see no reason why we cannot take a point or more.

A win would basically keep us up if Cove and Hamilton finished level. 

Table would be 

Arbroath - played 31 - 34 points 

Cove - played 32 - 27 points 

Hamilton - played 31 - 26 points (assuming Raith beat them on Tuesday) 

However I’m sure there’ll be more twists and turns so just got to look after ourselves. 

And worst case is we lose to Dundee, Hamilton beat Raith and Cove, Cove are deid, we are level with Hamilton and we battle it out. I’m still scared. 

2 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Presenting Play School & captaining the Lichties. Was there no end to this man's talents?

Brian Cant was a presenter on Play School for more than two decades from the mid 1960s.

Peem Cant as he was kent

15 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Peem Cant as he was kent

John Fletcher, Peem Cant and a certain Andy Penman all played in the same Lichties team that won 3 - 2 at Ibrox in 74

I know, but I didn't think the Dees fans would.

However, we can all agree that Brian Cant wasn't involved in the Ibrox win.

I was at Gayfield for Arbroath Reserves v Rangers Reserves that day. We lost 5-0 and my only memory of the game is the Rangers keeper (Stewart Kennedy?) continually carrying the ball outside his penalty box when kicking from hand. It's the only time I can ever remember the PA sysytem coming to life after the final whistle to rell us the First XI's score.

Arbroath are certainly safe imo. Hamilton look like a League 2 team playing in the wrong division and Cove are in absolute freefall. Plus I am fairly sure both of them have to visit Gayfield yet. Unless Arbroath mystifyingly punt Campbell and replace him with Jim McIntyre for a laugh, they'll easily finish above those two. 

17 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Well spotted , I knew I’d get some first names wrong , I was only around 10 or 11 at the time , what was the guy Stirlings first name , great player 

14 hours ago, DUAFC said:

John Fletcher, Peem Cant and a certain Andy Penman all played in the same Lichties team that won 3 - 2 at Ibrox in 74

And billy Pirie , penman ran the show , with Fletcher and Pirie netting the goals