Celtic v Rangers April 8th

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Celtic’s MOTM in that picture, next to Barisic.

From RM

On 04/04/2023 at 13:51, esquire8 said:

We've won every Old Firm Clancy has refereed.

Oh well, that's his record broken.

As an aside, on RM the whining is unbelievable. Their team is better than every other in Scotland bar one, they are in a cup semi and they do nothing but whinge about how shite their players are.    

'Entitled' doesn't cover it.  Just what do they want? ( I know, I know. )     

Would they actually be happier, sitting mid-table,   if Celtic were near bottom?  

1 minute ago, cyderspaceman said:

From RM

On 04/04/2023 at 13:51, esquire8 said:

We've won every Old Firm Clancy has refereed.

Oh well, that's his record broken.

As an aside, on RM the whining is unbelievable. Their team is better than every other in Scotland bar one, they are in a cup semi and they do nothing but whinge about how shite their players are.    

'Entitled' doesn't cover it.  Just what do they want? ( I know, I know. )     

Would they actually be happier, sitting mid-table,   if Celtic were near bottom?  

We do tend to look inwards and blame our players/management while our pals across the city tend to blame everyone else when they don't like what's happened. 

It'll calm down by tomorrow. 

We were really pretty shite for large parts of that today, as bad as we've been domestically under Ange imo. Rangers set up well in the first half and stopped our balls from defence into McGregor, which subsequently stopped us from being able to build anything at all. That combined with our passing being well off on the odd occasion we managed to play through made it a tough watch at times. Our main period of play came in the second half when Rangers' press had slowed down a bit, meaning we were able to play into the midfield a bit more - Iwata helped with that when he came on. 

Without being daft and directly comparing the two, ''we've been shite here but Henrik will do something'' became a well worn theme 20 years or so ago - a similar thing is beginning to happen with Kyogo. Was already a hero of course but today and the League Cup final has elevated him to a level that puts him firmly in the category of being a great Celtic striker. He got us out the shit today when we needed him, with a bit of luck of course - but he's a brilliant player we're very lucky to have. 

For Rangers, Raskin makes them a different side imo and drastically improves their midfield. The overall feeling is that we got away with one today, hoping we can sharpen up a bit for the semi final, but then again i'd take shitting myself for 90 minutes watching us toil and give the ball away if the scoreline ends up the same.

Edited by Fratelli

3 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

We were really pretty shite for large spells of that today, as bad as we've been domestically under Ange imo. Rangers set up well in the first half and stopped our balls from defence into McGregor, which subsequently stopped us from being able to build anything at all. That combined with our passing being well off on the odd occasion we managed to play through made it a tough watch at times. Our main period of play came in the second half when Rangers' press had slowed down a bit, meaning we were able to play into the midfield a bit more - Iwata helped with that when he came on. 

Without being daft and directly comparing the two, ''we've been shite here but Henrik will do something'' became a well worn theme 20 years or so ago - a similar thing is beginning to happen with Kyogo. Was already a hero of course but today and the League Cup final has elevated him to a level that puts him firmly in the category of being a great Celtic striker. He got us out the shit today when we needed him, with a bit of luck of course - but he's a brilliant player we're very lucky to have. 

For Rangers, Raskin makes them a different side imo and drastically improves their midfield. The overall feeling is that we got away with one today, hoping we can sharpen up a bit for the semi final, but then again i'd take shitting myself for 90 minutes watching us toil and give the ball away if the scoreline ends up the same.

I always find it intriguing the differences in who supporters think is a threat and who isn't from their respective teams. For example two players in our history Rangers fans would have been adamant celtc fans were shiting it from were Boyd and Morelos who haven't ever carried their form over to Old Firms. Similarly back in the day Forrester used to tear teams apart and you guys bigged him up but for me in the derby matches he went missing and i remember some of you guys not rating Hooper but he would always put the fear in me. 

After the first few Old Firms with Kyogo I thought he was one of those players like those mentioned before but after the last few Old Firms he's definitely not and it's very annoying how consistently he seems to be taking the piss out of us. 

5 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

I always find it intriguing the differences in who supporters think is a threat and who isn't from their respective teams. For example two players in our history Rangers fans would have been adamant celtc fans were shiting it from were Boyd and Morelos who haven't ever carried their form over to Old Firms. Similarly back in the day Forrester used to tear teams apart and you guys bigged him up but for me in the derby matches he went missing and i remember some of you guys not rating Hooper but he would always put the fear in me. 

After the first few Old Firms with Kyogo I thought he was one of those players like those mentioned before but after the last few Old Firms he's definitely not and it's very annoying how consistently he seems to be taking the piss out of us. 

Aye i was beginning to have that fear - he missed about 4 sitters in his first game at Ibrox in August 2021, was injured for another couple and then at the beginning of this season, when he was in white hot form and it looked to be his time - went off injured after 2 minutes. He's really kicked on since that equaliser the other month.

1 hour ago, Eder said:

RangersII lived off set plays but made too many mistakes.

That’s Rangers all over. They play for corners, penalties and free kicks around the box against everyone. Their goals percentage from set pieces must be wild. 

21 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

We were really pretty shite for large parts of that today, as bad as we've been domestically under Ange imo. Rangers set up well in the first half and stopped our balls from defence into McGregor, which subsequently stopped us from being able to build anything at all. That combined with our passing being well off on the odd occasion we managed to play through made it a tough watch at times. Our main period of play came in the second half when Rangers' press had slowed down a bit, meaning we were able to play into the midfield a bit more - Iwata helped with that when he came on. 

Probably the most balanced view on here regarding the way today panned out.

As I got at earlier, against other teams we might get away with the odd mistake here or there whereas Celtic mercilessly punish you for making them.

Didn't play well but won anyway, MF was a big issue with Mooy having an absolute horror show of a game, really really missed Hatate, really hope he's back for the SF.

Thought Clancy had a dreadful game, was the decision to disallow the goal soft, maybe perhaps. But its no different to what Kent/Tillman/Cantwell were doing most of the game, throwing themselves to floor with minimal/no contact and getting fouls for it.

I'm still a bit puzzled at the varying views that Rangers played well. For me anything Rangers took out of that game would have been Celtic handing it over. Rangers didnt create enough, didnt take any real risks and too many of their attacking players failed to exert any influence.

Rangers in the first half were focused, they kept their shape for the most part and made a few interceptions/caught Celtic being sloppy. But it never transpired into possession or pressure. 

In the second half, when Rangers have traditionally managed to find a period of dominance over Ange's Celtic sides, it sort of threatened but never materialised. 

If any of that translates to playing well, then as I said earlier, I dont know what the ambition is, because keeping focus and shape isnt going to win titles or overturn this Celtic side in general. 

Had Hearts or Aberdeen done that today, purring over their performance would be somewhat understandable. Pick the positives of course, but its being massively overstated for me. Rangers looked like a team who didnt think they could really compete. 

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm still a bit puzzled at the varying views that Rangers played well. For me anything Rangers took out of that game would have been Celtic handing it over. Rangers didnt create enough, didnt take any real risks and too many of their attacking players failed to exert any influence.

Rangers in the first half were focused, they kept their shape for the most part and made a few interceptions/caught Celtic being sloppy. But it never transpired into possession or pressure. 

In the second half, when Rangers have traditionally managed to find a period of dominance over Ange's Celtic sides, it sort of threatened but never materialised. 

If any of that translates to playing well, then as I said earlier, I dont know what the ambition is, because keeping focus and shape isnt going to win titles or overturn this Celtic side in general. 

Had Hearts or Aberdeen done that today, purring over their performance would be somewhat understandable. Pick the positives of course, but its being massively overstated for me. Rangers looked like a team who didnt think they could really compete. 

When their biggest goal threat with the most attempts on goal is their right back they really have to ask questions. Odd decision to allow Barisic to hit that free kick at the end though.

The don’t have a difference maker in their team like Kyogo, that’s his 5th goal this season against Rangers which is more than Morelos has scored against us in his entire career. Jota has also now has 4 against them since joining and Abada also with 4 or 5. Kent is completely anonymous and for all the hype over Tillman he’s been pish everytime he played against us.

Dont see the point of this thing with Rangers going to the SFA with the Morelos goal. The ref obviously saw contact - presumably deciding Morelos gained an advantage to then score.  VAR will see there is a wrestling match going on so cant really say the ref was clearly wrong. 

I thought it was as soft as they come but those kind of fouls occur all over the pitch in a game.

The game came down to some hopeless defending by Rangers and McGregor suddenly looking like a 70 year old trying to run.

Just saw the highlights there and McGregor looks well and truly done now. I wish him well, but Rangers need a new custodian for next season.

No currants in the stadium is a great idea, but I also felt it was a strange atmosphere for an OF game as a result. 

Ian Crocker is an absolutely fucking awful commentator. A complete idiot who spouts the most inane pish whenever anyone scores. Horrific.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

We do tend to look inwards and blame our players/management while our pals across the city tend to blame everyone else when they don't like what's happened. 

It'll calm down by tomorrow. 

Look inwards eh? 🤣

Edited by Jinky67

11 minutes ago, velo army said:

Just saw the highlights there and McGregor looks well and truly done now. I wish him well, but Rangers need a new custodian for next season.

No currants in the stadium is a great idea, but I also felt it was a strange atmosphere for an OF game as a result. 

Ian Crocker is an absolutely fucking awful commentator. A complete idiot who spouts the most inane pish whenever anyone scores. Horrific.

It’s actually been a joy watching Scotland games on Viaplay recently. Rory Hamilton isn’t brilliant, but it’s been a lot better than Crocker and his false, overly forced excitement.

As for the disallowed goal, it’s soft. But there is a clear push and because of that VAR is going to have a hard time overturning it, so I really don’t understand the furore from McCoist et al during the game.

I might be frustrated if it was given against us, but mostly because it was totally needless.

I also don’t understand how players and more importantly a manager can go mouthing off about a handball to the media afterwards when it’s clear they haven’t even bothered to review the incident in question.

59 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

When their biggest goal threat with the most attempts on goal is their right back they really have to ask questions. Odd decision to allow Barisic to hit that free kick at the end though.

The don’t have a difference maker in their team like Kyogo, that’s his 5th goal this season against Rangers which is more than Morelos has scored against us in his entire career. Jota has also now has 4 against them since joining and Abada also with 4 or 5. Kent is completely anonymous and for all the hype over Tillman he’s been pish everytime he played against us.

Tavernier scored his 99th and 100th goals for us today. Him being one of our main goal threats is probably one of the least questionable things to come out of today. To paint this as some kind of failing when you consider we also had our main striker have a goal wrongly disallowed is an odd take.

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

Tavernier scored his 99th and 100th goals for us today. Him being one of our main goal threats is probably one of the least questionable things to come out of today. To paint this as some kind of failing when you consider we also had our main striker have a goal wrongly disallowed is an odd take.

87 penalties.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Had Hearts or Aberdeen done that today, purring over their performance would be somewhat understandable. Pick the positives of course, but it’s being massively overstated for me. Rangers looked like a team who didnt think they could really compete. 

I don’t think there’s many saying Rangers were particularly great, more so in spells rather than an overall good performance. My main point though is neither were Celtic and I don’t feel there could’ve been many complaints had we won today as well.

I feel under Beale our performances in these matches are moving towards the kind we saw under Gerrard against Celtic. We were never really steam-rolling Celtic (a couple of exceptions aside) but we were organised and played to our strengths. So I would say I have a differing opinion of you feel that approach is the wrong one, particularly when you consider Celtic have a lot more “match winners” in their squad than we do.