Drugs in sport thread

ICTChris

On the back of Amir Khan being banned for two years for testing positive for an anabolic agent, I thought a separate drugs in sport thread was appropriate.

Khan failed a drugs test for ostarine, a SARM - Selective Androgen Receptor Modulator.  This is the same substance that a British sprinter CJ Ujah tested positive for after the Tokyo Olympics, leading to the Team GB 4x100m relay team losing their silver medals from the Games.

Please keep all your Mexican vitamin stories for this thread.

Who are the most likely 'never been officially caught' cheats that might have a Lance Armstrong catch-up in the post?

Farah, Nadal, and Djokovic for me. I'm sure there were rumours one of Nadal's many injuries was a silent doping ban.

In more recreational drugs, both Alex Hales of England cricket and Dustin Johnson in golf are also widely reckoned to have served silent doping bans for cocaine. Hales then got caught again and the ECB went public with the second offence.

8 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Who are the most likely 'never been officially caught' cheats that might have a Lance Armstrong catch-up in the post?

Farah, Nadal, and Djokovic for me. I'm sure there were rumours one of Nadal's many injuries was a silent doping ban.

In more recreational drugs, both Alex Hales of England cricket and Dustin Johnson in golf are also widely reckoned to have served silent doping bans for cocaine. Hales then got caught again and the ECB went public with the second offence.

A few years back there was a rumour that more than half the Liverpool squad in the season they won the title had Theraputic Use Exceptions for asthma medication, allowing them to be prescribed salbutemol and other performance enchancing drugs.  

The Red Bull sports division had (maybe still has) Bernd Pansold as their director of Sports Medicine - he was the team doctor for FC Dynamo in the East German league in the 1970s and 80s, he also assisted with other sports, including implementing a doping programme.  He was convicted of administering steroids to child athletes and fined.  He subsequently went to Austria and worked with winter sports - I think cross country skiing and other winter sports are quite bad for doping as well.

Djokovic and Nadal are pretty clearly doping.  I think tennis is almost at the wild west level of acceptance of doping and helping to cover it up.

I listened to the Science of Sport podcast with Ross Tucker and they covered the Connor Benn case, very interesting.  The drug he failed the test for, Clomifene, is used theraputically to promote ovulation in women who are trying to concieve.  In men it boosts testosterone production but the real use in terms of doping is that it restarts natural testosterone production following a steroid cycle - using steroids stops natural production of the hormone and this kick starts it.  Benn's defence was that he got it due to eating huge quantities of eggs.  Tucker did a bit of digging and found where that defence came from - there was an academic study several years ago that showed that when hens are given Clomifene to promote laying then there is a trace level present in their eggs.  Clearly Benn's team have seen this and thought - bingo, here is our excuse.  Sadly for them, Clomifene isn't permitted in the UK, so I'm not sure how he explained that.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/swimming/68248821

The Enhanced Games have their first alleged competitor - James Magnussen, a former Olympic swimmer, has said he's willing to take performance enhancing drugs in order to try and beat the 50m freestyle world record and claim a prize of $1m.

The Enhanced Games have claimed that they have guys who can run 100m in 9 seconds etc but I think it's all a bit of a crock.  They claim they've had funding but there's no date, no venue, nothing 'real'.  The funding is also described as 'pledges' - do they actually have the money?  They will surely have difficulties getting a venue to host their event - anyone with anything to do with it will be persona non grata with every regulated organisation.  They've pledged to have medical tests for competitors but it's not been explained what these tests will consist of and who will be doing them.  Quite a lot of performance enhancing drugs are illegal or prescriptio only - how will the games procure their drugs?  

I'd imagine that the competitors they get will be sub standard - the elite athletes won't want anything to do with it so you'll get lower standard people, retired people and probably guys who have been binned for doping.  It'll be a bit of a freak show - like when Ben Johnson ran against a racehorse and a stock car.

On 09/02/2024 at 18:20, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'd love to see the enhanced games.

Athletes running 100m in 5 seconds before exploding. Javelins flying out of the stadium and taking out low flying aircraft.

Make it happen.

Why restrict it to performance enhancing drugs though

Zharnel Hughes may be able to run close to 9.8 seconds but how would he do after 6 pints of Guinness

The UFC punting the USADA shortly after getting into bed with jobby fetishist Vince McMahons WWE pretty much confirmed that if you want to see massive roid heads booting f**k out of eachother, it's the premiere destination for you. 

Personally I think football is riddled with it too. 

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Personally I think football is riddled with it too

Absolutely. The testing is a farce. Cycling had major issues so they make sure that people are tested regularly both in and out of competition. Win a race? Tested. Win an intermediate prize? Tested. On a training ride? Tested. At home with the missus? Tested. In football they never seem to test at all. Once a season, if that? And it seems to be more a UEFA/FIFA thing than something individual associations do. 

42 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Absolutely. The testing is a farce. Cycling had major issues so they make sure that people are tested regularly both in and out of competition. Win a race? Tested. Win an intermediate prize? Tested. On a training ride? Tested. At home with the missus? Tested. In football they never seem to test at all. Once a season, if that? And it seems to be more a UEFA/FIFA thing than something individual associations do. 

When Rio Ferdinand was banned for missing three drug tests the reaction was basically “what is this nonsense”. I remember not long afterwards another player failed a test for ephedrine which they took in a cough mixture. The manager at the time said that the UK anti-doping team had sent out someone to do a presentation to the players about drug testinG but that the presenter had been an attractive young woman so his players spent all their time trying to chat her up and didn’t listen to her. 

A few years ago there was a story that there had been eight drug tests in the last year in Scottish football, due to lack of funding. I doubt that there are any big, organised Lance Armstrong style drug programs at Scottish clubs but at the same time I go to a commercial gym and often hear young lads openly chatting in the changing rooms about taking steroids. It’s far more prevalent in society now that people often realise and especially in the demographic that professional footballers come from (young fit men).

Edited by ICTChris

• 6 months later...

A couple of drug related stories in the media today.

World number one tennis player Jannick Sinner has been cleared after testing postiive for the metabolite of a steroid.  He accounted for the two positive tests by claiming he was contaminated by his psyiotherapist, who used an over-the-counter medicine on a cut on his hand, then treated SInner.

Also, an article on the BBC about the West German doping history of the 1970s.  Most people know about the East German dopingprogramme, giving steroids to 12 year olds, but not as many know about similar things happening in West Germany, centred around Freiberg and a number of sports scientists and doctors.  There are even questions about stimulents being used by the West German football team in the 1954 world cup final and even in 1966.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/articles/crlrn9re3z5o