Nicola Sturgeon Arrested, Peter Murrell Charged

Lex

I always look for the Lib Dems when there's a new poll out to see who they're trailing behind now. Surprised Abla haven't overtaken them yet, but surely it's only a matter of time before the Christian Family Party (or whatever) pick up more votes from the Highlands and Islands.

It's amusing because they're completely devoid of principle and destroyed themselves just so the likes of Nick Clegg could get cushy industry jobs. The current lot of potential parliamentary candidates must privately hate them.

Edit: we definitely need Willie Rennie back though. His photo opportunities were magic.

Edited by BFTD

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I always look for the Lib Dems when there's a new poll out to see who they're trailing behind now. Surprised Abla haven't overtaken them yet, but surely it's only a matter of time before the Christian Family Party (or whatever) pick up more votes from the Highlands and Islands.

It's amusing because they're completely devoid of principle and destroyed themselves just so the likes of Nick Clegg could get cushy industry jobs. The current lot of potential parliamentary candidates must privately hate them.

Edit: we definitely need Willie Rennie back though. His photo opportunities were magic.

Always fun to look in on their policies and manifesto

https://scottishfamily.org/manifesto

Plus they have videos explaining why middle aged angry men are the true oppressed minority

Spoiler

spongebob-eye-bleach.gif

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Plus they have videos explaining why middle aged angry men are the true oppressed minority

Reveal hidden contents

spongebob-eye-bleach.gif

He should be domestically abused for that jumper.

18 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Reveal hidden contents

spongebob-eye-bleach.gif

Interview from thirty-odd years ago; I guess he's still in denial about why his missus divorced him and he wasn't allowed to see the kids.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Interview from thirty-odd years ago; I guess he's still in denial about why his missus divorced him and he wasn't allowed to see the kids.

What a read, jeez!

On his former stepsons:

He says he wrote the boys many letters, which remain unsent, and saved money for them, which he has not handed over lest it should be felt 'an unwarranted intrusion'.

• 2 weeks later...

The interviewer asks some of the right questions but doesn't follow up on the answers.

Also, either Sturgeon is about to be charged too or this copper is trying to make out she is.

13 minutes ago, The DA said:

The interviewer asks some of the right questions but doesn't follow up on the answers.

Also, either Sturgeon is about to be charged too or this copper is trying to make out she is.

If others were about to be charged it would happen unexpectedly one day imo. As the police are attempting to manage the situation i would expect a no score draw. 

• 3 months later...

Is there a maximum period in Scotland between charging and prosecuting someone?

I know if I was charged with a crime I didn’t commit I’d be wanting a trial asap.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I know if I was charged with a crime I didn’t commit I’d be wanting a trial asap.

I'm not sure that there is a timescale for this.  Once the PF decides to proceed to trial, various limits kick in (the 80/110/140 Rules) but, as far as I can see, the PF is under no pressure to decide when that clock starts ticking.  Further, if he/she decides not to prosecute, they do not normally inform the accused - it's up to the accused's legal team to do the asking.

4 minutes ago, The DA said:

I'm not sure that there is a timescale for this.  Once the PF decides to proceed to trial, various limits kick in (the 80/110/140 Rules) but, as far as I can see, the PF is under no pressure to decide when that clock starts ticking.  Further, if he/she decides not to prosecute, they do not normally inform the accused - it's up to the accused's legal team to do the asking.

Thanks for that.  Seems a pretty one sided system.  I wonder if this will still be ongoing during the Scottish Parliamentary elections.

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The original investigation has now expanded to three seperate ones. Will take more time to investigate and i would also  imagine due to the people involved they want to get all of their facts right 

6 hours ago, The DA said:

Under human rights legislation, the accused has to face trial within a reasonable time. I can't remember the name of the case offhand, (it was known as "The Big Coal Case" around the office) but it involved a short-weight coal fraud involving multiple school janitors getting kickbacks.

Was submitted to the Fiscal, who  then took months to decide to prosecute. Fiscal argued in court that this was due to staff shortages, but Sheriff wasn't interested and acquitted.

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

Under human rights legislation, the accused has to face trial within a reasonable time. I can't remember the name of the case offhand, (it was known as "The Big Coal Case" around the office) but it involved a short-weight coal fraud involving multiple school janitors getting kickbacks.

Was submitted to the Fiscal, who  then took months to decide to prosecute. Fiscal argued in court that this was due to staff shortages, but Sheriff wasn't interested and acquitted.

Which is ironic given how long it can take to get trial dates.

16 minutes ago, strichener said:

Which is ironic given how long it can take to get trial dates.

Yep, both the Fiscal & the reporting officer have to account for any slight delay, but the courts can extend the trial date as long as there's a 2 minute hearing within the time limits.

Obviously, the huge backlog in cases due to covid has not affected the probability of the fiscal accepting a case in the first place (insert sarcasm emoji)

I'm sure I've posted this on this thread before but fraud is very difficult to prove and usually takes a lot of investigating, a lot of analysis of documents.  In addition, I'm not sure that anyone has ever been charged in Scotland for crimes like this - taking donations for one thing and allegedly using them for others.  There are still questions about whether what has happened is even a crime.  Obviously add in that the people who are being investigated were highly invovled in the governing party and were the First Minister, it's obviously different to any other case that has ever been prosecuted in Scotland.

15 hours ago, AyrExile said:

The original investigation has now expanded to three seperate ones. Will take more time to investigate and i would also  imagine due to the people involved they want to get all of their facts right 

Then why charge Murrell if they had more investigating to do?  Why not complete the investigation then charge him?

I question the length of time required.  Even if one part of the investigation branches into something else the process is still finite.

It reminds me of a public enquiry where it takes ten years to investigate something by which time the anger over the issue does not have the same intensity and the impetus to address the issue is greatly diminished.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'm sure I've posted this on this thread before but fraud is very difficult to prove and usually takes a lot of investigating, a lot of analysis of documents.  In addition, I'm not sure that anyone has ever been charged in Scotland for crimes like this - taking donations for one thing and allegedly using them for others.  There are still questions about whether what has happened is even a crime.  Obviously add in that the people who are being investigated were highly invovled in the governing party and were the First Minister, it's obviously different to any other case that has ever been prosecuted in Scotland.

Like this by the blue arse cheek ? or Nathan Sparling and the HIV charity

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23587678

27 minutes ago, Plumpy said:

Like this by the blue arse cheek ? or Nathan Sparling and the HIV charity

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23587678

Sorry I should have specified donations made to a political campaign or party being used for other purposes.  Obivously, there are loads of examples of charity donations being used for other purposes - even here on P&B!

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Sorry I should have specified donations made to a political campaign or party being used for other purposes.  Obivously, there are loads of examples of charity donations being used for other purposes - even here on P&B!

I guessed that but couldn't help having a dig at the the former rangers