Nicola Sturgeon Arrested, Peter Murrell Charged

Lex

5 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Every Yoon on here appears to be forgetting that its up to the Crown to prove that an offence has been committed. "I don't recall" is a perfectly acceptable response under caution, and cannot be used to imply guilt.

The "I didn't know it was a party" defence. Gotcha. That worked out for him.

6 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

The "I didn't know it was a party" defence. Gotcha. That worked out for him.

No. It's completely different. The Police offered Boris a Fixed Penalty Notice because they believed that they could prove that he had disobeyed lockdown restrictions. He chose to pay the FPN rather than force the police to prosecute.

As far as I'm aware, no-one in the SNP has even been charged with anything yet. The situations are in no way analogous.

16 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Every Yoon on here appears to be forgetting that its up to the Crown to prove that an offence has been committed. "I don't recall" is a perfectly acceptable response under caution, and cannot be used to imply guilt.

All of which makes it the ideal response to questioning if you actually were guilty of the thing you are being questioned about.

It's more than possible to support independence and not support the SNP. Surely that's been made abundanty clear over and over again in the last few weeks?

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The police arrest people so they can question them about crimes.  If they invite you to talk to them you don't have to.  If they arrest you then you have to at least have the questions put to you - you can, of course, refuse to answer or give a 'no comment' interview.

"can't recall", shirley?

4 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

No. It's completely different. The Police offered Boris a Fixed Penalty Notice because they believed that they could prove that he had disobeyed lockdown restrictions. He chose to pay the FPN rather than force the police to prosecute.

As far as I'm aware, no-one in the SNP has even been charged with anything yet. The situations are in no way analogous.

Mud sticks. Everyone, including Stugeon, had Boris guilty before any fines had been issued. His pathetic defence was quite rightly also publicly derided by most politicians and public alike

Do you think the SNP leaders would let her give a no comment statement to the police, if it ever comes to that? Honestly?

14 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

All of which makes it the ideal response to questioning if you actually were guilty of the thing you are being questioned about.

As I said, it's up to the police to prove their case. Most semi-competent defence solicitors will advise their clients to "No comment" whether they are guilty or not.

7 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Do you think the SNP leaders would let her give a no comment statement to the police, if it ever comes to that? Honestly?

The "SNP leaders" have absolutely f*ck all to do with how someone replies to questioning under caution.

Are you suggesting that Police Scotland are stupid enough to release details of an interview under caution before someone is charged or appears in court? 

It would be quite something if the person who was First Minister of our country until a few weeks ago, a member of the Privy Council, the person who nominated the Lord Advocate, gave a “no comment” interview to the police like she’s in a episode of 24 Hours In Police Custody, nicked for stealing a quad bike.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It would be quite something if the person who was First Minister of our country until a few weeks ago, a member of the Privy Council, the person who nominated the Lord Advocate, gave a “no comment” interview to the police like she’s in a episode of 24 Hours In Police Custody, nicked for stealing a quad bike.

Mental.  It is however her goto response.

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I think it is bonkers that anyone would think it would be an acceptable defence and make her look less guilty of anything. If anything it would make it look even more suspicious  Each to their own though, I guess.

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Why? Does she have different rights to other accused persons?

The only way that you will find out what she said under caution (if she is ever interviewed) will be if she is charged with something and appears in court. At that time, the Crown will most likely introduce a transcript of her interview.

This is why we have reporting restrictions in advance of any trial.