Peterhead v Edinburgh

Well deserved win but had to endure some nervous minutes towards the end. It gives us a chance of survival despite being very poor for most of this season. The last 3 games has seen a marked improvement and here’s hoping for at least a point on Tuesday against Dunfermline. Edinburgh were not nearly as good as the last time we played them when they completely dominated the game. This time it was much more even with Peterhead having the better chances and probably deserved to win.

1 hour ago, Pedro Cabeza said:

According to the FC Edinburgh website, this game was being played at Links Park, Montrose.

Explains the lack of visiting fans.

Hopefully enjoyed there time in the legion 

When our attendance was announced as 500 could not help but comment as was near where there directors sit that it was just as well the game was not being played at Meadowbank as with their 499 seats somebody would have had to stand, did not get a response 

6 hours ago, peternapper said:

When our attendance was announced as 500 could not help but comment as was near where there directors sit that it was just as well the game was not being played at Meadowbank as with their 499 seats somebody would have had to stand, did not get a response 

They've brought 16 & 18 fans in their 2 visits to Airdrie.  Fair play to those that travel but unsustainable without bottomless pockets...

9 hours ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

They've brought 16 & 18 fans in their 2 visits to Airdrie.  Fair play to those that travel but unsustainable without bottomless pockets...

The first game was the same day as an "old firm game" so travelling west best avoided, second game was on 2nd January so no trains and people on holiday.

Anyway, doesn't matter.  We never have had  much support, and the move to Meadowbank has been a disaster!  Even the core support we did have over the last few years  don't go anymore!   We need to move again away from Meadowbank  but truth is  with Hibs and Hearts  in the city there's no appetite for a third team.

As for this game, congrats to Peterhead on your win!  Hopefully you earn a few more before the end of the season and keep yourself up in League one! 👍

Totally agree about Meadowbank. The two times we've been there this season, it felt like you were there on sufferance and a nuisance to the  fitness orientated facility. Ainslie Park wasn't great but at least it was almost a proper football ground.

Travelling anywhere outside the central belt is always a problem with transport but we have that every second week. We had a 500 mile round trip to Dumfries a couple of weeks ago and dreading relegation as we could be back to trips to Stranraer and Annan again which are even worse.

I recall a midweek game at Stranraer a few seasons ago when I got home at 5.30am.

46 minutes ago, Pedro Cabeza said:

I recall a midweek game at Stranraer a few seasons ago when I got home at 5.30am.

Kudos to you for making that trip midweek friend, that's a real supporter! 👌👍👏

There's just no easy way to get to Stranraer, you get down to Ayr and think you're almost there but that final bloody stretch of A77 down through Girvan is a heartbreaker.

5 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

There's just no easy way to get to Stranraer, you get down to Ayr and think you're almost there but that final bloody stretch of A77 down through Girvan is a heartbreaker.

Quicker flying to Belfast and getting the ferry!

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Kudos to you for making that trip midweek friend, that's a real supporter! 👌👍👏

Made it to Dumfries a couple weeks back am lucky in that i am retired so dont have work the following day. Go to all games home and away & used to enjoy trips to Stranraer as could tie in a trip to see my pal in Carrickfergus, would drive down and catch the ferry on Weds, leave the car in Cairnryan get picked up in Larne play golf Thurs/Fri then get the ferry back Sat go to game then back up the road. Bit surprized just now how many Pars fans saying they will give a possible title winning game at Peterhead tomorrow night as its too far etc, etc if we were in that position nothing would stop me attending.

15 hours ago, AirdrieFanTV said:

4 hours ago, Tenkay said:

The first game was the same day as an "old firm game" so travelling west best avoided, second game was on 2nd January so no trains and people on holiday.

Anyway, doesn't matter.  We never have had  much support, and the move to Meadowbank has been a disaster!  Even the core support we did have over the last few years  don't go anymore!   We need to move again away from Meadowbank  but truth is  with Hibs and Hearts  in the city there's no appetite for a third team.

As for this game, congrats to Peterhead on your win!  Hopefully you earn a few more before the end of the season and keep yourself up in League one! 👍

I think it's a real shame that Edinburgh City/FC Edinburgh/Just Edinburgh don't get bigger supports. Edinburgh as a city is more than big enough to have three teams in the league, and Edinburgh City have had some really good teams over the past few years - both in the LL, L2 and now this season. Combined with the fact there have been a lot of ex-Hibs and Hearts guys involved in that time, I thought they'd have built up a decent following.

If you had young kids then it would be a damn site easier and cheaper following Edinburgh City than one of the big two. It feels a bit 'build it and they will come' but unfortunately, for all the good work on the park, off it there's been a stadium move to a ground where a team already play (with a huge youth system) then (what looks) a disastrous move to the new Meadowbank.

The atmosphere at Ainslie Park last year for the playoff semi-final was good. There were obviously a lot of folk just going along because it was a Tuesday night, but the crowd was decent and they got behind their team. I was shocked to only see 60 fans at the second leg given the day was done and dusted, and it would've been an easy train journey to Dumbarton to celebrate for 90 minutes.

19 minutes ago, peternapper said:

...  used to enjoy trips to Stranraer as could tie in a trip to see my pal in Carrickfergus, would drive down and catch the ferry on Weds, leave the car in Cairnryan get picked up in Larne play golf Thurs/Fri then get the ferry back Sat go to game then back up the road ...

Sounds like a class round trip that. Great when you can combine the fitba and social stuff. 👌

The owners/board seemed to totally alienate the following they had & will be difficult to build up a new generation of supporters. The ground does nothing to attract folk and is the only one after being once probably will not go back to. Although possibly would be knocked back by other teams you wonder how they would get on playing Friday nights although not ideal they vacated Ainslie Park when Meadowbank not suitable for league football.

2 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Sounds like a class round trip that. Great when you can combine the fitba and social stuff. 👌

It helps when your not tied, my Dumfries trip left home 10am outside Palmerston by 2pm & had the car back in the garage by 9.20pm. We have been fortunate for a number of years that some unused seats on the team bus can be used by supporters club members, i just like doing my own thing

3 minutes ago, peternapper said:

It helps when your not tied, my Dumfries trip left home 10am outside Palmerston by 2pm & had the car back in the garage by 9.20pm. We have been fortunate for a number of years that some unused seats on the team bus can be used by supporters club members, i just like doing my own thing

4hours to Dumfries from Ellon (I think one of your posts mentioned you live there) is good going. It's a journey I did many times back in 81/82 when commissioning the original power station. Pretty sure it used to take me 5 hrs (just south of Dumfries to Peterhead) but places like Forfar, Laurencekirk and Stonehaven weren't bypassed then, nor was Aberdeen (used to tear along the beach road). My abiding memory was overtaking the fish trucks to avoid the fishy ice spray on the windscreen and then not stopping for a pee cos I'd have to pass the trucks all over again. Used to arrive at the power station and make a bee line straight for the loo before talking to anyone. Happy days. 😂

24 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

4hours to Dumfries from Ellon (I think one of your posts mentioned you live there) is good going. It's a journey I did many times back in 81/82 when commissioning the original power station. Pretty sure it used to take me 5 hrs (just south of Dumfries to Peterhead) but places like Forfar, Laurencekirk and Stonehaven weren't bypassed then, nor was Aberdeen (used to tear along the beach road). My abiding memory was overtaking the fish trucks to avoid the fishy ice spray on the windscreen and then not stopping for a pee cos I'd have to pass the trucks all over again. Used to arrive at the power station and make a bee line straight for the loo before talking to anyone. Happy days. 😂

The Aberdeen by=pass makes a huge difference Ellon to Stonehaven now around 30mins. I always stop for coffee & a bap at the Horn on the way down the road. It was me that got stuck at Edinburgh trying to get to our first game went via Glasgow this time, was expecting the road over from Moffatt to be worse than it was plenty straights to clear lorries etc

I'd likely have travelled to Peterhead and I was prepared to put up with the Lego stand at Meadowbank (when I first started watching City they played on a roped off pitch covered in dug shite) but given the name change and the lack of transparency in the running of the club's affairs I'm enjoying watching the East of Scotland League instead. 

The pies are better, the football is better and people actually appreciate you parting with the readies. 

You often find you can enjoy games at a lower level if guys are trying their best, its all i ask of my own team. If we dont have a game will usually  go to Formartine, £5 for OAP entry & fine steak pies. Would not bother going to Aberdeen just not good value. I am not a snob ground wise did not our trips to Cowdenbeath, Albion rovers etc. Good to not worry about how bad refs are even & funny listening to folk getting wound up with them when attending as a neutral

Edited by peternapper

10 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Could be a 4th team in Edinburgh shortly of course 😬

It’s ironic that the likes of Bonnyrigg and Tranent have benefited greatly from ‘half and half’ fans.  By that I mean supporters of Hibs/Hearts/Old Firm who live in these towns (the population has increased greatly in these areas last 20 years) and will go and support their local team at times, as well as the team they have always supported.

I know people who do this, nothing wrong with it at all, and I believe both have a good core support of people who support these clubs only, but they absolutely benefit from some fans who have a ‘big team’ as well.