🔴🟡 Thistle vs Ayr United ⚫️⚪️ - 15 April 2023

As an opposition fan when you see Graham, Lawless and Tiffoney going off you can't help but think that a lot of Thistle' attacking threat goes with them.

After chasing shadows in the 1st half and conceding what you have to admit was a well worked goal, we were worthy of our point and on another day could maybe have got all three.

The middle three of Thistle dropped right out the game in the second half which gave us territory and the chance to counter.

Big Sean gave the perfect response after we'd scored to those who were singing his praises. 😉 

I thought at one point "we hate K****e more than you" was going to be sung by both sets of fans!

Neither keeper had that much to do which was strange in a game where both teams had their chances.

What's the story with playing Mitchell over Sneddon, a strange one for me, and not that Mitchell did anything wrong today but you'd just favour the younger guy looking at the longer term.

Edited by BukyOHare

Surprised no one has mentioned the red card that should’ve been dished out to Turner in the second half. Seemed raging that the ref didn’t blow when JML knicked the ball away from him and he ended up on the deck. Tried to get him back and caught him halfway up his leg with his studs. Someone ended up with just a throw in. 

30 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the red card that should’ve been dished out to Turner in the second half. Seemed raging that the ref didn’t blow when JML knicked the ball away from him and he ended up on the deck. Tried to get him back and caught him halfway up his leg with his studs. Someone ended up with just a throw in. 

Aye that was wild. Was amazed that it wasn't even given as a foul. Ref had a few questionable ones today I felt.

Edited by AuAl

1 minute ago, AuAl said:

Aye that was wild. Was amazed that it wasn't even given as a foul. Ref had a few questionable ones today I felt.

Turner on JML, McMillan sticking the nut in Reading when trying to impede him, Graham dragging Murdoch by the arm back at a Thistle breakaway. There were a few other small ones but aye the ref wasn’t great today at all.  

46 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

As an opposition fan when you see Graham, Lawless and Tiffoney going off you can't help but think that a lot of Thistle' attacking threat goes with them.

After chasing shadows in the 1st half and conceding what you have to admit was a well worked goal, we were worthy of our point and on another day could maybe have got all three.

The middle three of Thistle dropped right out the game in the second half which gave us territory and the chance to counter.

Big Sean gave the perfect response after we'd scored to those who were singing his praises. 😉 

I thought at one point "we hate K****e more than you" was going to be sung by both sets of fans!

Neither keeper had that much to do which was strange in a game where both teams had their chances.

What's the story with playing Mitchell over Sneddon, a strange one for me, and not that Mitchell did anything wrong today but you'd just favour the younger guy looking at the longer term.

Sneddon was injured when Doolan came and we have only conceded 3 goals in 10 games since. As you say he has made no mistakes in those games but has also made some decent saves. 

Got away with it today, regarding ref arguments I thought Turner was between a yellow and red for his tackle and follow through but if the ref had given the obvious foul on him ten seconds beforehand he wouldn't have lunged into it. 

Of the 4 games vs Ayr this season that's by far the best they've played against us including the game they won, absolutely dominated midfield and the only times I would say we were the better team were the 5 minutes before we scored and second half injury time. 

Brownlie will correctly get a lot of shit for the goal but it was obvious from behind the goal the ball was meant to go to Fitzpatrick from Holt, but he hid behind the Ayr winger which meant that Holt passed it inside to Brownlie who still couldn't pass it to Fitzpatrick. Duffing the ball into the ground and allowing a 2 on 1 with the best forward in the league on the end of it was clearly not planned and Brownlie has no confidence but there's normally more than one point of failure in these things 

Can't be arsed multi quoting but Tiffoney done nothing apart from a very well taken goal and Graham was arguably our worst player, he decided early on he wasn't going to jump for any header vs Musonda but try and wind him up instead. Musonda dealt with him easily and it was only when Dowds came on we had any sort of threat second half 

Edited by Fuctifano

Graham was evidently very frustrated that he didn’t get any the free kicks he normally ‘buys’, the ref gave him nothing and Musonda dealt with him extremely well, albeit Graham’s contribution at the goal was vital. It was a good finish from Tiffoney but he also was far from his best throughout his time on the pitch. Lawless on the other hand was pretty good in all areas, particularly 1st half. 

We really were hanging on until Ayr got the goal, you could see it coming a mile off and the frustrating thing from our perspective has to be we did nothing to change that, and we seemed to sit deeper as the game went on which was always going to end one way. 

A point for both sides was probably a fair outcome (based on Ayr not really working Mitchell despite being the better side) although Dowds should’ve scored at the death but it would’ve been an undeserving victory and then some, a shame because I actually thought he did reasonably well when he came on. 

Brownlie’s contribution to the Ayr goal was one of the many bits of slackness from Thistle players today unfortunately for Darren on his occasion it actually led to a goal. 

Edited by JagsCG

29 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Can't be arsed multi quoting but Tiffoney done nothing apart from a very well taken goal and Graham was arguably our worst player, he decided early on he wasn't going to jump for any header vs Musonda but try and wind him up instead. Musonda dealt with him easily and it was only when Dowds came on we had any sort of threat second half 

Graham is absolutely hopeless in all honesty. I know his goal record says otherwise but he’s made a career out of coaxing centre backs into a physical battle with him and then tries to bully them. He got isolated a few times out wide today which would’ve frustrated him but he realised early on he was getting nothing from Musonda. 

He’s still good a goal at this level but I cannot work out how centre halves have caught onto him. Not to mention the umpteen fouls that he somehow gets away with. 

Took in this game, and Was quite surprised to see Graham playing on the left of the front three for a lot of the time.  Not sure the Partick number 6 is a centre forward, to be quite honest.  

First half Ayr were chasing shadows, but their number 9 was still the best player on the pitch.  Second half, Partick Thistle never got going and it was no surprise when he scored.  He could do a job at a division above.  

Didn’t think the ref had a bad game, and 1-1 was clearly a fair result after a complete switch in performances.   Partick Thistle will be kicking themselves at not getting going at all after half time.