Next Hearts manager

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Aye, mind the one who stole all the Tunnock's Teacakes?

Not as mental as them employing convicted sex offender Graham Rix and one Hearts fan turning up at Tynecastle and playing "young girl" on a gettoblaster in protest.

Watched this documentary on Martindale the other day and he seems to have softened his stance on leaving Livi. Saying he has ambitions and even singles Hearts out saying he would love to manage a team like them with their support but he won't go actively applying but he has ambitions to one day manage a team like Hearts or down in England.

Could be a shout.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Watched this documentary on Martindale the other day and he seems to have softened his stance on leaving Livi. Saying he has ambitions and even singles Hearts out saying he would love to manage a team like them with their support but he won't go actively applying but he has ambitions to one day manage a team like Hearts or down in England.

Could be a shout.

To be fair he's constantly been saying the same stuff. He went down to Fleetwood and turned them down because the budgets there meant they were something like 22/24 for budget size. I can't see him leaving, if he went to Hearts he'd get 6 months before people start to turn on him. 

Reading between the lines he's been on and off saying he'd only leave for a club paying stupid money and with a big budget. Not sure if Hearts fall into that category, I got the feeling he was aiming for a club in and around the English Championship playoffs, someone like a Luton, Middlesbrough, Norwich, Millwall etc .

IMO He's at the right club for his ability, he wont get this level of control anywhere else. I know people seem to hear the good side of Martindale's stuff but he has a crippling tendency to overthink his teams. He played Marvin Bartley at LWB in a cup final. In our big games recently against St Mirren and Motherwell where a win would've had us comfortably top 6, he drops Bruce Anderson, Stephen Kelly and Steven Bradley to go with Kurtis Guthrie and Nouble up front - despite the fact that Nouble isn't a striker. We go into half time in both games 3-0 down. He goes back to basics this week (albeit too late basically) and we win 2-0. 

If he did that at a team like Hearts he'd have people protesting outside. There were even a few (roasters to be fair) Livi fans saying time was up because he 'bottled' top 6. He got the same last season where a last minute equaliser for Motherwell saw us drop a 2-0 lead and drop out the top 6 with about 16 seconds to go. 

Then again he's been pretty open about saying it wont be him that decides his time is up at Livi, he'll only go if our board let him go basically. With his background club will still be iffy on taking him on regardless of what he does with us, if he ends up with a 'blot' on his CV in the form of a sacking I'm not sure other clubs will look at him either (as wrong as that would be). 

Edited by ATLIS

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Good to see P&B hasnt lost its sense of humour with this pair as front runners..............

image.png.63d41c927568f6331e02710569fe6020.png

Hide contents

Yes, I did vote for Levein 😉

Michael Stewart should have been a candidate !

AND Tom English

( he is one of my heroes but why is Eric Black's name there ? )

17 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I know people seem to hear the good side of Martindale's stuff but he has a crippling tendency to overthink his teams. He played Marvin Bartley at LWB in a cup final.

If anything that was an example of his overthinking working, he played Bartley there to stop Rooney. Rooney's goal came from a corner and he was pretty limited in open play from what I remember.

Moot point though as I doubt Hearts fans would want him, and I'm sure he's aware he'd just get replaced by Robbie Neilson after 6 months.

2 hours ago, LiviLion said:

If anything that was an example of his overthinking working, he played Bartley there to stop Rooney. Rooney's goal came from a corner and he was pretty limited in open play from what I remember.

Moot point though as I doubt Hearts fans would want him, and I'm sure he's aware he'd just get replaced by Robbie Neilson after 6 months.

It worked to the extent of stopping Rooney scoring in open play, but leaving Forrest on the bench took away our own goal threat and his over thinking it always ends up being to the detriment of our own attack.

Funnily enough, reading Hearts fans comments about Neilson, you could've copied and pasted them onto ours after Martindale's team selection against St Mirren and Motherwell. Neilson seems to have done the exact same with Hearts, looking at nullifying the opposition, rather than looking to his own team's strengths.

On 14/04/2023 at 23:55, Hendo said:

Not as mental as them employing convicted sex offender Graham Rix and one Hearts fan turning up at Tynecastle and playing "young girl" on a gettoblaster in protest.

And the old, 'i told you to sign six defenders' joke.

On 14/04/2023 at 18:41, Jobby1 said:

As an outsider Derek McInnes is the obvious fit for Tynecastle. How would Hearts fans feel about him as next manager?

The spray-tanned Robbie Neilson: boring football, square pegs/round holes, finishing best of the rest more often than not and next to no trophies. 

Uninspiring

On 17/04/2023 at 16:54, Ludo*1 said:

Could be a shout.

Interesting wee video there @Ludo*1.  Cheers for posting.

Wouldn't be a bad shout for the Jambos - lives locally and likes Tynie!