Alloa Athletic V Falkirk FC

Can’t comment on the selection or formation Rice chose yesterday, but clearly pissed off with his teams overall performance. Good to hear a manager speaking with a bit of truth and honesty. As said he’s taken Alloa into the play offs (ok mathematically not guaranteed) which isn’t easy in this league. 

10 hours ago, Jagwasp said:

The game is full of opinions which is healthy but I’ll have to agree to disagree on this one & think he’s been a poor signing and was really poor again today. 

We can agree to disagree on whether Strachan has been a good signing or not, but to say he shouldn't be near an Alloa shirt is emotional nonsense.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Can’t comment on the selection or formation Rice chose yesterday, but clearly pissed off with his teams overall performance. Good to hear a manager speaking with a bit of truth and honesty. As said he’s taken Alloa into the play offs (ok mathematically not guaranteed) which isn’t easy in this league. 

I’m never sure blaming the fans is the way to go though. Especially when at the Rec it’s probably a few main stand old grumps having a go. Best off just not mentioning it. 

I like Ricey but feel he’s a bit too volatile to be a manager, especially when the pressure is on 

2 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

I’m never sure blaming the fans is the way to go though. Especially when at the Rec it’s probably a few main stand old grumps having a go. Best off just not mentioning it. 

I like Ricey but feel he’s a bit too volatile to be a manager, especially when the pressure is on 

One thing about Ricey is that he speaks it how he sees it. Maybe not the most effective way to communicate straight after getting horsed, but if it was anything like the abuse he got from our own at the stadium, he had every right to mention.

After the 4-3 Edinburgh game, Rice was really critical of Cammy and he's not played much since. Since then he's never really named the people who make mistake or brushed it off saying they held their hands up in the dressing room.

I do agree with him that we're in a good league position but we could have had the playoffs secured already.

Imagine criticising a manager as your team are completely outplayed at home for the third game in a row, by local playoff rivals.

We are fourth in the league and before the season started would have been thinking that is roughly where we would finish.

Normally would be buzzing for the play offs but Rice's football is awful to watch, punting the ball up to Sammon and MacIver who when they play together are poor, constantly playing players out of position and overall poor signings and loans have been frustrating.

We have been largely helped by QOS awful start, Edinburgh's implosion and Montrose's inconsistency. 

Edited by Magic Hat

57 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Imagine criticising a manager as your team are completely outplayed at home for the third game in a row, by local playoff rivals.

We are fourth in the league and before the season started would have been thinking that is roughly where we would finish.

Normally would be buzzing for the play offs but Rice's football is awful to watch, punting the ball up to Sammon and MacIver who when they play together are poor, constantly playing players out of position and overall poor signings and loans have been frustrating.

We have been largely helped by QOS awful start, Edinburgh's implosion and Montrose's inconsistency. 

Don't think we were "completely outplayed" by either Airdrie or QotS.

There's no doubt we were outplayed yesterday though; it doesn't help when you concede two soft goals in the first fifteen minutes, but Falkirk were clearly reacting positively to their recent run of poor results generally and the FC Edinburgh home defeat in particular. They played very well and we would have needed to be at out best to take something from the game, and we weren’t.

Rice is right to highlight how poorly we defended for the third and fourth goals. Taggs being out was a big miss, bigger than LD imo although he was a loss too.

I agree with the opinion that Sammon and McIver as a pairing doesn't work particularly well, but IIRC those two started together in recent games against Falkirk when we have played well.

Based on their performance yesterday, I still believe Falkirk are favourites for the playoffs and I give them a decent chance in the cup semi.

Next week's game with Montrose is now huge. I'd hate for us to go into the Dunfermline game needing even a point from it. They may have nothing to play for, but I'd still expect them to beat us.

If we do make fourth, then IMO that's a successful season, irrespective of how we do in the playoffs and Brian Rice should be given credit for that. Either way I think he's done enough to merit another year in charge.

Edited by printer

7 hours ago, Springfield said:

You would have thought he was long enough in the tooth not to slaughter your own fans. Beginning of the end for him mark my words. Thank f**k we didn’t take him 

Don't agree that we weren't outplayed by Airdrie, one tame header in 90 minutes at home is unacceptable and they didn't look like they got out of first gear.

You have a point about QOS, stupid errors cost us in the 1st half, although we were lucky they weren't out of site. In the 2nd half a mix of us being better and QOS looking like they took their foot off the gas, helped us make a game of it and probably slightly unlucky not to get a point.

If Rice gets us into 4th sure he will be here next season, which is a depressing thought. Sure the majority of fans (both Alloa and other teams) will see it as success and it is what Mike Mulraney will ultimately base his season performance on.

That said for me after 40 years of supporting Alloa not sure I can bring myself to watching  that again next season. Seriously thinking about not getting a season ticket again or even paying £18 most weeks for what is not entertainment.

2 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

Don't agree that we weren't outplayed by Airdrie, one tame header in 90 minutes at home is unacceptable and they didn't look like they got out of first gear.

You have a point about QOS, stupid errors cost us in the 1st half, although we were lucky they weren't out of site. In the 2nd half a mix of us being better and QOS looking like they took their foot off the gas, helped us make a game of it and probably slightly unlucky not to get a point.

If Rice gets us into 4th sure he will be here next season, which is a depressing thought. Sure the majority of fans (both Alloa and other teams) will see it as success and it is what Mike Mulraney will ultimately base his season performance on.

That said for me after 40 years of supporting Alloa not sure I can bring myself to watching  that again next season. Seriously thinking about not getting a season ticket again or even paying £18 most weeks for what is not entertainment.

You'll be back, m8. 🙂