Alloa Athletic V Falkirk FC

14 hours ago, AlloaAdam said:

As much as we aren’t fully over the line yet and it’s not mathematically done, if Taggart, Donnelly or Scougall are carrying even a slight knock I’d be wrapping them in cotton wool for the play-offs. They’re all crucial to us and I wouldn’t risk them, we’re still capable of getting the points we’ll need before the end of the season without them and the play offs are essentially a write off if they aren’t playing for us. Not sure I fancy QotS or Edinburgh to get enough points to overtake us anyway even if we don’t pick up any.

I'd have similar thoughts regarding injuries. Certainly wouldn't play Taggs and given the way he was strapped up and hobbling after last week I'd be surprised if he was available today. Have to wonder about Church and Strachan too, although it would be a blow if neither was to be fit. 

We didn't play well last week but kept going and ultimately ground out a great win. I don't really like the back 3 shape we started with at Kelty but suppose formation today depends a fair bit on who is fit. We have actually done well against Falkirk of late even though we only ended up with 1 draw and 2 defeats. Despite their mixed form we'll need to be better than last week if we are going to get something. And we could really do with a point because while we're in a decent position and with fans of other sides saying it's over, it wouldn't really take much for things to get close again in the battle for 4th.

Edited by Waspie

3 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

We have won one league game since the 4th of march. 

That isn't great but depends how you spin it. Could also say you've also only lost 1 in 6. Mixed is about right I'd say. Ultimately we aren't fantastic anyway and unlikely to have easy games against anyone in this league. 

19 minutes ago, Waspie said:

That isn't great but depends how you spin it. Could also say you've also only lost 1 in 6. Mixed is about right I'd say. Ultimately we aren't fantastic anyway and unlikely to have easy games against anyone in this league. 

We are a full time team in L1. The spin of “only lost 1 in 6” is fine for the top flight, and perfectly ok in the Championship. For us in L1, 1 win in 8 is the description that describes things more accurately.

Is it the players deciding to play at 80%, or it the manager’s instructions, or is it something the manager can’t prevent? Who knows.

The one thing that seems clear is that the Cup Semi takes precedence over regular season performance.

29 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Ultimately we aren't fantastic anyway and unlikely to have easy games against anyone in this league. 

I do feel that there's a bit of short term memory going on here. Certainly more than a bit of daylight against an abject Clyde and Edinburgh and ultimately comfortable against Peterhead. Narrowly beaten by Airdrie and QoS and finally won against a stubborn Kelty team that's just held the top two to 0-0 draws. Not a bad (granted not exciting) last 6 games. As much as Sammon has chipped in well I feel like if we had a more natural goal scorer we'd have been more than comfortably already qualified for the playoffs. It feels like a return to form to older Alloa seasons.

Alloa to shade it by the odd goal. I just feel we will want it that bit more than Falkirk today. Cracking day for football, couple of beers in the black and gold bar pre match to loosen up and then get right behind the boys. 
Feeling optimistic for the play off spot after last week, we just kept going and going right to the end. That would be a fair end to the season although I feel Airdrie will be the team to go up, for me the best footballing team we’ve played this season. That said, anything can happen and often does. C’mon ye Waspees!!

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

I do feel that there's a bit of short term memory going on here. Certainly more than a bit of daylight against an abject Clyde and Edinburgh and ultimately comfortable against Peterhead. Narrowly beaten by Airdrie and QoS and finally won against a stubborn Kelty team that's just held the top two to 0-0 draws. Not a bad (granted not exciting) last 6 games. As much as Sammon has chipped in well I feel like if we had a more natural goal scorer we'd have been more than comfortably already qualified for the playoffs. It feels like a return to form to older Alloa seasons.

I don't think you can really class games which we only put to bed relatively late on as easy wins. However abject Clyde were they almost went 2-1 up early in the second half and Peterhead were the better side in the first half in that game. The Edinburgh win was sealed by a late (freak) goal. We could just as easily have lost last week too. These are all really welcome and hard earned victories but none of them were easy wins. 

We have been absolutely spoiled by the teams we've had over the last decade or so. I wouldn't put the current side near those teams. More frustrating is that the team is still less than the sum of its parts. Unlike those other Alloa sides, I'd really fear for the current crop if they did manage to get up through the play offs. But not going to complain if we manage it. 'Mon the Wasps. 

Edited by Waspie

10 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

That team line up just makes you want to spew. Burrell needs a partner upfront.

Kinnear
Williamson Donaldson Mckay Mccann
McGinn Henderson
Morrison Max Kennedy
Burrell

I don’t think McGlynn is learning here. One up front with Burrell on his own is even worse that one up front with Oliver on his own. John just ain’t for changing.

It all depends if McGlynn goes with Burrell alone again because he thinks it will work, or he goes again knowing that it probably won’t work, so he will feel justified if he chooses not to start him next week.

As for Lawal sitting it out again, God only knows. Is McGlynn teeing up Williamson to get a start in the Cup Semi here? Just feels like weakened set up again, and tbh, I don’t think McGlynn is bothered about play off position (any more).

2 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I don’t think McGlynn is learning here. One up front with Burrell on his own is even worse that one up front with Oliver on his own. John just ain’t for changing.

Seems to be just pure bawheededness from McGlynn at this point.

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

Seems to be just pure bawheededness from McGlynn at this point.

I just think he is prioritising the Cup Semi over anything and everything else at the moment.