Alloa Athletic V Falkirk FC

41 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

It's all very well saying im not arsed about finishing 2nd or 3rd we are playing absolutely shite at the moment n will get pumped at the first hurdle. I'm not entirely convinced we will recapture any form before next weekend. I've gone for a draw in this one.

Whilst you are right that we are playing shite, I have said my piece on that already, specifically after the Clyde game, that I felt I was watching players who felt it was only I portent enough to justify a 75% effort, and in this league, that's not enough to beat anyone really. 

I'm not excusing it, in fact I'm pretty fucked off over it, but I both think AND hope that that's what's happening. Because not only does that look exactly like what's happening, but is also a more likely explanation than we are suddenly shite, unable to organise and incapable of close to the same intensity showed mere weeks ago. 

5 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I had this down as a "Falkirk rest their players for the cup semi" but the Edinburgh result puts a bit of pressure on in the approach to that game, particularly as Inverness look to be on good form. Edinburgh winning in midweek doesnt really change anything from our side.

From the outside looking in obviously, I dont think Falkirks drop off is as alarming as some of their supporters seem to be taking it- although of course time will tell on that. A dip in form was probably likely, when it became clear the league was out of reach, but play-offs were cemented and they have a cup semi to look forward to. They could win the semi final, and are favourites for the play-offs- win promotion and its still a brilliant season for them.

Regardless of Falkirks approach, we're capable of winning the game- even though we havent exactly been firing on all cylinders ourselves in recent games. After running Falkirk close a few times, it would be brilliant to seal the play-offs with a win on Saturday. Would also give us confidence going into play-offs too. But even if it doesnt happen, I think we'll have enough to get over the line in the last couple of of games.

Yeah, I must admit when I saw the result on Tuesday, my gut feeling wasn't oh, no Edinburgh have picked up three points, but rather Falkirk are more likely to be up for Saturday's game/field a full strength eleven.

I get that Falkirk's form has been poor these last few weeks, but that's understandable to an extent given their circumstances. If they do go up through the playoffs (which I make them favourites for) then clearly that is a very successful season for them.

I reckon this will be a draw.

Edited by printer

I suspect one of our smallest away supports all season. Personally I’m completely fed up of watching the same half arsed performance from the players. McGlynn’s pre match interview is embarrassing, to suggest a young squad is our issue is just ridiculous. The spine of our team is full of experienced pros who just haven’t been good enough

1 hour ago, Shabba said:

I suspect one of our smallest away supports all season. Personally I’m completely fed up of watching the same half arsed performance from the players. McGlynn’s pre match interview is embarrassing, to suggest a young squad is our issue is just ridiculous. The spine of our team is full of experienced pros who just haven’t been good enough

The thing that annoyed me about that interview was his admission that 'we had loads of attacking options'. Why the f**k then John didn't you use them? We should have started with two up top and most certainly shouldn't have replaced Burrell with Oliver. Oliver should have been on far earlier to compliment Burrell, not replace him!

8 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

The thing that annoyed me about that interview was his admission that 'we had loads of attacking options'. Why the f**k then John didn't you use them? We should have started with two up top and most certainly shouldn't have replaced Burrell with Oliver. Oliver should have been on far earlier to compliment Burrell, not replace him!

I hope McGlynn has got this particular brainfart out his system now, in the same way as the McCann to RB bullshit, albeit this relentless 1 up top has lasted considerably longer, it has now reached the point of being a clear flaw in his thinking. 

9 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'm feeling a strong 0-0 draw vibe coming on Saturday. 

We never do it the easy way so I fully expect us to be needing a result against Dunfermline on the final day to clinch a playoff spot. 

I think we are genuinely there for the taking on Saturday. All player’s eyes on the semi-final, and there’s 3 sides who could still finish 2nd. A tilt at a Final is absolutely taking precedence over finishing second. We could still end up fourth…..which is crazy, but that’s where our recent performances have landed us.

I think we might be a bag of nerves on Saturday, and it won’t take much to see us trip up again. Recs had hardly been the happiest of hunting grounds these past few years……some great wins for sure, but also some horrific defeats.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

9 hours ago, Heaton said:

Falkirk average age: 24. Pars: 22.7

The man is full of pish

I'm also not having that we were nervous playing at home to FC Edinburgh when we had already beat them 3 times this season.

We lost because McGlynn didn't play the right tactics or players. Hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake tomorrow.

Tactically, we were pretty much the same other than throwing Burrell under the bus as a one up front, with a midfield 20 yards behind him.

I don’t think McGlynn is comfortable or overly competent at delivering anything else, but he is far from being the only manager that struggles to implement a meaningful change in set up.

Tuesday night was all about re-affirming that Oliver is his man, and Burrell can’t do what he wants him to do.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

As much as we aren’t fully over the line yet and it’s not mathematically done, if Taggart, Donnelly or Scougall are carrying even a slight knock I’d be wrapping them in cotton wool for the play-offs. They’re all crucial to us and I wouldn’t risk them, we’re still capable of getting the points we’ll need before the end of the season without them and the play offs are essentially a write off if they aren’t playing for us. Not sure I fancy QotS or Edinburgh to get enough points to overtake us anyway even if we don’t pick up any.

Guest Brockvillenomore
24 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Tactically, we were pretty much the same other than throwing Burrell under the bus as a one up front, with a midfield 20 yards behind him.

I don’t think McGlynn is comfortable or overly competent at delivering anything else, but he is far from being the only manager that struggles to implement a meaningful change in set up.

Tuesday night was all about re-affirming that Oliver is his man, and Burrell can’t do what he wants him to do.

EE95DE60-ACE4-4495-9A6F-BAE7E9944724.jpeg

On 20/04/2023 at 18:28, Bairnardo said:

I honestly don't give much of a f**k about finishing second. To get promoted, you have to beat 2 teams over 4 matches. The who and when isn't really significant enough or able to be manipulated to the point where it is a huge concern. 

I'd prefer a bit of form, but we will wither go into the playoffs on the crest of a wave for a Cup Final (might come with similar issues as now?) Or licking our wounds with nothing else to focus on. 

No idea which one gives us better chance in the playoffs, but one way or the other, I don't think second is the be all and end all. 

My biggest issue really is the quality backing of the fans all season being treated to a period of pure half arsedness 

My E/W league bet obviously would be fecked if we don't finish 2nd.

I personally think McGlynn doesn't know what his best team is for league business, playing one up top hoping we score first is key for success. 

It screams Paul Sheerin leadership at the moment, honestly don't think playing two up top in the 3rd tier with our budget is something to be fearful of. 

We have so many players off it at the moment, Kinnear, Rowe, Donaldson, McGinn, Max and some who have never been on it. Pass marks Oliver, Henderson and recent weeks Kennedy....the rest been pretty meh

6 minutes ago, MrDust said:

I personally think McGlynn doesn't know what his best team is for league business, playing one up top hoping we score first is key for success. 

It screams Paul Sheerin leadership at the moment, honestly don't think playing two up top in the 3rd tier with our budget is something to be fearful of. 

We have so many players off it at the moment, Kinnear, Rowe, Donaldson, McGinn, Max and some who have never been on it. Pass marks Oliver, Henderson and recent weeks Kennedy....the rest been pretty meh

There's a couple of things I'm hanging my hat on in the coming weeks. Firstly, that the intensity and desire to win returns. 

Secondly, that no one is going to be going into these games with anything other than a must win outlook, which I think we generally play better against. 

The players haven't suddenly become bad players. 

Conversely, I worry that focus and concentration can't just be switched back on, and replace uncertainty and malaise. 

The stretch target for what to hope for I suppose would be that in this period of turning in bone idle, can't be fucked performances, some batteries have been charged a bit, but the occasion and the match itself next week could flatten that aswell. 

34 minutes ago, Brockvillenomore said:

EE95DE60-ACE4-4495-9A6F-BAE7E9944724.jpeg

Says it all. You not get any more bogus stats for me showing that Rennie and McGlynn are rocket scientists? I am presuming you now understand that “cautious manager” is not the same as “defensive manager”. You still sticking with our “expansive” football?

I shall not be attending this game. The players can't be arsed; neither can I.

I'm really hoping we can put in some kind of performance to be in a bit of a better mindset going in Hampden next week, but I can't say I'm hopeful.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

Guest Brockvillenomore
8 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Says it all. You not get any more bogus stats for me showing that Rennie and McGlynn are rocket scientists? I am presuming you now understand that “cautious manager” is not the same as “defensive manager”. You still sticking with our “expansive” football?

I’m distraught 😩 

166058D8-0F86-4FD4-89C0-681FBDE8D4B8.jpeg

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

That absolutely grinds my gears this "if we score first pish" that's utter shite . It's bollocks and it seems to be a trend, FFS if a JJ team went a goal or two behind for example they never threw the towel in they came back or at least bust a gut trying to. It's a kop out.