Staying In v Going Out

Staying in v Going Out  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

COVID for me, if anything made me appreciate going out more. I've never been one for drinking in the house, for me it's very much something I do socially, and with that it's better out in a pub. Get away from the house for a bit, change of scenary etc. 

If it's about drinking with mates, then I much prefer staying in.  I'm becoming far more introverted in my old age.  Also, with a young family, my priorities have changed.

I love getting 'out' for other activities though, such as walking.  I'm more into long hikes and exploring interesting ruins than going up the hills to be honest.

Love getting out and doing the garden on a sunny day too.

Staying in is in general much better, but going out has it's charm.

Staying in  you can have anything to drink that you want , it's cheaper and you don't have to queue next to a bunch of arseholes. Order or cook food whenever you want without changing venues. Can put on any music you want or fire up the PS or Xbox for a good laugh. 

Going out is great every so often for a change of scenery and to simply just GTFO of  the house. Generally though, if I don't know you I don't fucking want to which is why staying in is far superior. 

On 22/04/2023 at 23:19, DA Baracus said:

I like both.

Genuinely think that the entire pub industry is in massive trouble. It could be utterly knackered with only a couple of chains, like Wetherpoons and Greene King, taking over them all. Sadly much of this is down to regular government increases in duty.

Society changes too mind, it used to be common practice for men to go for pints after the work day was finished, back in the good old misogynistic days you simply did it and that was that, there is absolutely no danger either mine nor anyone I know who's  wife/partner wife partner would tolerate them sitting in the boozer after work each evening.  Alot of pubs survived on legacy customers, but as they die off they arent being replaced by younger blokes, as ICT said, the old man pubs are soon to become the dead man pubs

It’s a pretty stupid question to ask as there should be no simple answer to it as people should enjoy doing both depending on the circumstances. 

I am more than happy to stay in most weekends but have had a good couple of nights out this year when someone has been watching the kids and you get a pleasure from being out that you don’t get from sitting in the comfort of your own home. I think too much time sitting in your own home entertainment centre is bad for the soul and morale long term, hence why people say “you need to get out more”

Going out is good but expensive. My idea of going out is having a meal and drinks with the mrs, I don’t even consider just going to a pub and drinking til closing time like I used to. I also don’t know when I last sat in a pub like Monkman has mentioned above just to pass the time, probably not since 2018 and that is in itself a travesty. 

35 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Nothing wrong with enjoying your own company.

Its more worrisome if the likes of yourself have such a necessity for human companionship.

I voted staying in! I blame P&B* for developing my inner introvert and preventing me from having nights out.

*some blame may be lay at the door of the Covid lockdowns and the minor issue of having a wife and 3 kids.

17 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I genuinely love going to the pub.  Sitting having a few pints, often on my own, is one of life's great pleasures. 

It's one of my favourite things to do. Sitting with a book and getting quietly blootered in the corner. Absolute bliss.

I'm a bit of a Peter Pan in that I'm 40 and I still love going out. Perhaps when I finally pair up with someone that'll change a wee bit. 

I'm hoping @DA Baracusis wrong about the decline of pubs, but I don't think he is. It seems that independent anything, be it bookshops, cafes and pubs are under threat from big chains. I think The Globe in Aberdeen is the only independent pub in the city now. 

27 minutes ago, velo army said:

It's one of my favourite things to do. Sitting with a book and getting quietly blootered in the corner. Absolute bliss.

I'm a bit of a Peter Pan in that I'm 40 and I still love going out. Perhaps when I finally pair up with someone that'll change a wee bit. 

I'm hoping @DA Baracusis wrong about the decline of pubs, but I don't think he is. It seems that independent anything, be it bookshops, cafes and pubs are under threat from big chains. I think The Globe in Aberdeen is the only independent pub in the city now. 

From what I hear it sounds like a pub is quite a difficult way to make money nowadays, despite the high cost at the bar I think they themselves get pretty ripped off by breweries and suppliers and there isn't a huge mark up to be had on draft beer. then there's other costs like sending bar staff to on the license course and the expense that comes with, the high cost of utilities, extortionate charges for the likes of sky sports or even just to play recorded music at a low volume in the background.  

There's also the fact that in the eyes of the local authorities and the police you are the scum of the earth and the source of "trouble", if you're in anything that can constitute a residential area then the residents right to peace & quite trumps your right to provide entertainment should there be a complaint.  It's enough to make owners consider if it's worth bothering surely

In England & Ireland it seems like going to the pub regularly is enjoyed throughout all the social classes - although maybe not to the same pubs!  In Scotland, outwith young people and occasional going out on the lash to city centre bars, the middle class and above don't go.  it's hard to see how anyone other than a chain can survive in this climate. The traditional boozer is already squezed hard enough yet can't afford to raise prices any higher as their customers are the ones who are least likely to afford it

The amusing thing here is the simple fact of having a pub close enough to walk to for most of you lot. Since I’ve reached legal age, and excluding college because of course there’s alcohol within walking range there…of the 34 years, there was/is an alcohol serving establishment within walking distance and reasonable safety for exactly 4 of those years…call it 12% of my working life…and 1 of those years it was a nightclub…so 9% for ability to walk for a sit, chat and pint. This is why the U.S. is f**ked on drink driving.

5 hours ago, velo army said:

The book in the corner thing sounds a good idea actually.

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

The amusing thing here is the simple fact of having a pub close enough to walk to for most of you lot. Since I’ve reached legal age, and excluding college because of course there’s alcohol within walking range there…of the 34 years, there was/is an alcohol serving establishment within walking distance and reasonable safety for exactly 4 of those years…call it 12% of my working life…and 1 of those years it was a nightclub…so 9% for ability to walk for a sit, chat and pint. This is why the U.S. is f**ked on drink driving.

Geography's got a bit to do with it in my case for sure...I'm maybe a 15 minute walk from the nearest pubs from me which are on our main street and consist of a Rangers and a Celtic boozer on opposite corners from each other, a Wetherspoons - which we'll maybe go down for breakfast in three or four Sundays a year but which like all Wetherspoons projects a pretty heavy divorced dad energy - and a handful of dying-on-their arse old man's pubs which seem to be haunted by the same dozen or so old boys every day.

The nearest pubs I'd actually want to go to are in the south side twenty minutes away on the train, and it's only really when tying them in with going out for something to eat across that way or visiting a mate of mine that lives there that I can be bothered making the journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Going out, all the way.

I go to the same pub before every home game, I like it there, usually don't even need to ask they just start pouring a Guinness for me, talk to the regulars, the owner, sit and have a few quiet pints before the rest of the lads turn up. It's one of the highlights of the week for me, away from the stress of work, the weans and the usual burdens crowding my mind. 

3 hours ago, thistledo said:

Going out, all the way.

I go to the same pub before every home game, I like it there, usually don't even need to ask they just start pouring a Guinness for me, talk to the regulars, the owner, sit and have a few quiet pints before the rest of the lads turn up. It's one of the highlights of the week for me, away from the stress of work, the weans and the usual burdens crowding my mind. 

One of life's simple pleasures right there. I often go down the local club early on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon,  where there is maybe myself and another 4 or 5 folk. I can find a corner and enjoy a pint in peace and quiet,  before the local "dames" and the loud crowd turn up.

13 hours ago, philpy said:

One of life's simple pleasures right there. I often go down the local club early on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon,  where there is maybe myself and another 4 or 5 folk. I can find a corner and enjoy a pint in peace and quiet,  before the local "dames" and the loud crowd turn up.

Bliss. Some people will look down upon it, but I don't think they get it. That's fine. 

I'm contemplating going for a bevvy but the pubs in Dundee are going to be hoachin' - many have sold out seats or reservations due to the game tonight and I can't be arsed with the yoof jumping about.