Dundee v Cove Rangers

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Fortunately I only caught the last 5 minutes of this one.  I might just have been unlucky, but it’s felt like every championship Friday night game I’ve seen this season has been a turgid 0-0 with the exception of Patrick pumping someone.

It does set things up brilliantly for next week though.  When was the last time in any of the 4 Scottish leagues two teams were going playing each other for the title in the last game??

This must be quite a rarity, savour it.

Morton played Peterhead at Cappielow on the final day of 2002-03 in Division 3. East Fife and Albion Rovers were the other two clubs in the hunt for the two promotion places.

There was no scenario which would see neither of us promoted. We won 1-0 in a very, very tense game in front of a crowd of just under 8500. East Fife scored a late winner (against QP) to finish 2nd.

1 win in 5 for us. 2 wins away since the 23rd December.

I've said it time and time again but whether we go up or not, I'm much more looking forward to this squad being ripped up. 

If QP manage to do the business against Morton tomorrow, it's their league IMO.

Forget Cove's style of play as bad as it is, if we can't, at home, do more than get 1 significant shot on target (from well outside the box) against the team that is bottom of the league then I don't think we deserve anymore than we get.

Completely understand people going against Bowyer with that - I'd personally still allow him to build his own squad because we have never had much creativity in this squad outwith Charlie Adam and McMullan who has been rancid of late.

Think we've questioned the bottle of this squad for a good number of seasons now so it's no surprise to see them intent on mucking it up yet again.

Thought it was audacious of Legzdins to try and have a go at the support at FT for the boos tbh!

10 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I’m trying to find the positives in that performance, well, never mind, never mind, oh.

To say the least Shads, truly disappointed. Truly, truly, truly. 

Good night and thank you. 

download(3).jpg.f055dbabf78c592f2689934301d7421a.jpg

Edited by This Charming Man

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

1 win in 5 for us. 2 wins away since the 23rd December.

I've said it time and time again but whether we go up or not, I'm much more looking forward to this squad being ripped up. 

If QP manage to do the business against Morton tomorrow, it's their league IMO.

Forget Cove's style of play as bad as it is, if we can't, at home, do more than get 1 significant shot on target (from well outside the box) against the team that is bottom of the league then I don't think we deserve anymore than we get.

Completely understand people going against Bowyer with that - I'd personally still allow him to build his own squad because we have never had much creativity in this squad outwith Charlie Adam and McMullan who has been rancid of late.

Think we've questioned the bottle of this squad for a good number of seasons now so it's no surprise to see them intent on mucking it up yet again.

Thought it was audacious of Legzdins to try and have a go at the support at FT for the boos tbh!

If the Dundee players know that they are getting binned if you go up it’s akin to asking turkeys to vote for Christmas. I’m not suggesting that’s why you didn’t win tonight but it wouldn’t be the most motivating thought. “Yay, we won the league! Oh, I need to find a new club.”

Just now, shizzlemanizzle said:

If the Dundee players know that they are getting binned if you go up it’s akin to asking turkeys to vote for Christmas. I’m not suggesting that’s why you didn’t win tonight but it wouldn’t be the most motivating thought. “Yay, we won the league! Oh, I need to find a new club.”

They're getting punted regardless. Been on the cards for well over a year now.

I'm pretty sure that's the most pointless point in the history of football (with something is still on the line).

As things are now:

• Queen's Park win tomorrow, they're 1 point ahead - we need to win next week (QP can draw)
  • Queen's Park draw tomorrow, we're 1 point ahead - we can draw next week (QP need to win)
  • Queen's Park lose tomorrow, we're 2 points ahead - we can draw next week (QP need to win)

As things would have been had we lost (less than 10-0):

• Queen's Park win tomorrow, they would have been 2 points ahead - we would have needed to win next week (QP could have drawn)
  • Queen's Park draw tomorrow, we would have been ahead on goal difference - we could have drawn next week (QP would have needed to win)
  • Queen's Park lose tomorrow, we would have been 1 point ahead - we could have drawn next week (QP would have needed to win)

The size of our goal difference advantage wouldn't even have come into it - even with a loss, so long as we were at least 1 goal ahead of QP by full-time tonight, only we could have won the title on goal difference (as it happens, nobody now can - it's points only from this, er, moment on). 

We should have played a 0-0-10, only reverting to something normal if Cove got an 8th goal without reply (we probably still wouldn't have scored).

Also, the Gods are evil shits because the two acceptable outcomes at Cappielow tomorrow are precisely the two that we would have (effectively or definitely) won the league with if not for the width of a post. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Even if Dundee do win the league in the end, they can't be looking at that squad and Bowyer as manager and thinking, aye, that'll do for the Premier.

LOL.

We'll do what we did with McPake. Either get up on the back of QP shitting it, or via the play-offs and give the manager approximately 20 games of being absolutely bodied by the rest of the Prem before punting him the day after the transfer window shuts, doubtless having handed 3 year deals to a series of total fucking jobbers from the 3-6th tiers in England, and being 5 points adrift in bottom spot. 

ETA: The only bright spots from that are that it increases the likelihood of Accies going straight down. Actually that's the only bright spot.

Edited by Benjamin_Nevis

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Again, only 3 players are signed up for next season and two of those three will likely not play much part. We'll have a completely new look next season regardless of where we are.

That’s not a help, it simply means a completely new team trying to crack the top level…I wouldn’t envy that.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

That’s not a help, it simply means a completely new team trying to crack the top level…I wouldn’t envy that.

Would you rather have our current squad 'try to crack' the top level or just not bother at all with the top level? Bit of a ridiculous statement tbh.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Would you rather have our current squad 'try to crack' the top level or just not bother at all with the top level? Bit of a ridiculous statement tbh.

Just pointing out a complete rebuild is more difficult to pull off than an upgrade…but as we’ve seen this years Championship is very even, whichever team(s) go up are gonna have a very hard time.

Just now, TxRover said:

Just pointing out a complete rebuild is more difficult to pull off than an upgrade…but as we’ve seen this years Championship is very even, whichever team(s) go up are gonna have a very hard time.

Last time we went up through winning the league, we did a rebuild and finished in the top 6.

Just as last year's winner has proven, it'll be a scrap at the bottom for this year's winner but far from certain that they'll be whipping boys.