Post split fixtures

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

The split is garbage and encourages sterile, fearful, negative football. Let's have 'meaningless' end of season games where young players can be introduced into a team without the sword of disaster being the result of a defeat. If teams in direct competition playing each other at the end of the season is so wonderful why don't the Germans go for it ? The Dutch ? The Italians ? The English ? 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Why would anyone compare Scottish football to the German, Dutch, Italian and English leagues?

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

In an effort to try and work out why Scottish football is so poor ? 

The issue is not making comparisons, it’s who you’re comparing our league too. Surely countries of a similar size would be more worthy comparisons, and with similar income levels for the majority?

Football is supposed to be an entertainment. Our small leagues and split, and with play-offs in all divisions, means the vast majority of clubs throughout the four leagues have something at stake right up to the end of the season. It’s nerve wracking, but that’s how it should be.

It’s one of the few things we get right. Our quality level isn’t great but there’s definitely excitement. Playing each other 3-4 times a season isn’t ideal, but it’s a necessary evil and not as bad as people make out. Possibly 2 up 2 down and a play off for 3rd bottom would provide more variety of opposition over a few seasons.  But definitely not this year thank you.

Dead rubbers and games to ‘experiment’ with line ups are pish. The last half dozen games watching glorified pre-season friendlies would be awful.

Yes, yes, let's just do nothing but shoot down suggestions of change and then moan every year as the outcome stays the same. After all, best chance of it changing is if we do nothing :lol:

No, I don't know what the answer is. Year upon year I find myself caring less as it is. FWIW I think the league has to be bigger. 

Whatever happens, something has to change else its congratulations to the bigot brothers over, and over, etc, etc, until the end :(

39 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

There is at least one other top League in Europe that does it and their option is muccccch more convoluted than ours. They don't scrap it because other leagues don't copy it.  

Play each other 3 or 4 times via splits
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Rep, Denmark, Gibraltar, Greece, Finland, Iceland, Israel, Moldova, Northern Ireland, Romania, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland
(from 2023-24), Wales

Play each other 3 or 4 times without splits
Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Eire, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Georgia, Hungary, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Slovenia

Edited by HibeeJibee

Just now, HibeeJibee said:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Rep, Denmark, Gibraltar, Greece, Finland, Iceland, Israel, Moldova, Northern Ireland, Romania, Scotland, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland (from 2023-24), Wales

Belgium was the one I was referring to. They split into 3. Bottom third has teams from lower division. They cut the points in half etc at split point 🤯

2 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

Yes, yes, let's just do nothing but shoot down suggestions of change and then moan every year as the outcome stays the same. After all, best chance of it changing is if we do nothing :lol:

No, I don't know what the answer is. Year upon year I find myself caring less as it is. FWIW I think the league has to be bigger. 

Whatever happens, something has to change else its congratulations to the bigot brothers over, and over, etc, etc, until the end :(

Cos an 18 team league would definitely not see rangers and Celtic win it every season ??!!

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Cos an 18 team league would definitely not see rangers and Celtic win it every season ??!!

An entirely valid point.

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

2 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

An entirely valid point.

Thanks. 

It’s a genuine question. The issue surely isn’t the size of the league, it’s the fact that two clubs are so much bigger and richer than the rest that it’s not a competition? 

I wouldn’t be entirely against trying a 16 team top league, play each other home and away once then split and play each other once. It would mean 37 matches, so some 19/18 or 18/19 home/away split though which causes issues.

I'd like to see a wild card in a golden envelope at the start of each season, locked away in Hampden until it's revealed an hour before the final games kick off. Would shake things up a good bit IMO.

- Reverse the positions of the league table

- 15 point deduction for the team who conceded the lowest number of goals

- Next season is decided on a points-per-million spent

- Each team gains the number of points their last starting XI would score on scrabble

- Each team nominates one player for a Hunger Games to decide the league

- Everyone must play blindfolded

As long as we still have the split.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It’s a genuine question

I know.

I also said I don't know what the answer is. Except something has to change. 

Or we're discussing the same thing next time this year whilst we wait for the post split fixtures. 

Can't wait :)

2 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

I know.

I also said I don't know what the answer is. Except something has to change. 

Or we're discussing the same thing next time this year whilst we wait for the post split fixtures. 

Can't wait :)

We won't be discussing the same thing every year if the moaners who bring up the same old tired and disproven points would just STFU

35 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

An entirely valid point.

Thanks. 

Varying the number of teams in the league could potentially have good effects of various types but it's a fantasy to think that it will fully bridge the gap to what Rangers and Celtic are spending Vs the rest which is the only reason that they win every year.

If the goal is designing a structure to stop the OF winning in perpetuity, it would need to be something a lot more radical than fishing 6 poorer teams out of the lower leagues. If that was really the goal, any structure would need to falsely handicap them in some way to level things (eg, a post season knockout for the top 4 teams for the title, or limiting what the OF can spend, etc) - but there is zero appetite for that type of thing from the people who make these decisions.

3 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

Well unless we can get rid of The Rangers and Celtic, or introduce a handicap system on them to try and make it more competitive for the other 10 teams, we're pretty much always going to have a one horse/two horse race, and everyone else is having their own competition for European spots and relegation. The split adds interest for the majority of the other ten teams fans, and imo is something they've got right. 

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Well unless we can get rid of The Rangers and Celtic, or introduce a handicap system on them to try and make it more competitive for the other 10 teams, we're pretty much always going to have a one horse/two horse race, and everyone else is having their own competition for European spots and relegation. The split adds interest for the majority of the other ten teams fans, and imo is something they've got right. 

There's almost the outside chance of an Aberdeen or Hearts side putting together a team for a season to be up there. A few young lads coming through in quick succession maybe. 

The issue is though it's never sustainable long term if it did happen as within 3 windows every single one of the good players will been gobbled up by down south and it's near impossible to replace 3-4-5 top players if you're not the Old Firm. 

I like the suggestion that the split pits teams at the bottom against each other and makes managers more risk averse. That'll be why Kilmarnock and Derek McInnes have recently thrown an 18 year old into the starting lineup and looked much better for it.

31 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Scottish football is a one horse race.

Celtic have won 21 out of the 30 domestic trophies since the **** liquidation/death in 2012.

Nine of the last 10 leagues. 

There is no 2nd horse. 

Celtics wage bill and transfer spend is higher than the 10 non-OF clubs combined.

Adding Morton and Ayr to the league isnt stopping them.

Edited by RandomGuy.