Airdrie v Queens

Game means nothing just get this season finished .

Will be missing Brydon and Hendrie against a Airdrie team who after the defeat from us a few weeks back  have been really good .

We seem to be back to our poor early season form.

I actually, genuinely have 0 interest in this game, harsh as it sounds, but i honestly couldn't care if we finish 2nd 3rd or 4th.  my main concern is a fully fit squad, if it was me I'd be splitting the first 11 up and playing half on Saturday and then the other half the next game, the results of the next 2 Airdrie league games are of absolutely no interest to me.

7 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I actually, genuinely have 0 interest in this game, harsh as it sounds, but i honestly couldn't care if we finish 2nd 3rd or 4th.  my main concern is a fully fit squad, if it was me I'd be splitting the first 11 up and playing half on Saturday and then the other half the next game, the results of the next 2 Airdrie league games are of absolutely no interest to me.

Me neither. Anyone with the slightest niggle doesn't play and we rotate the rest using all the subs.

20 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Only interest I have is on Gal, hopefully we keep Paton quiet and Gal can nick another goal and hopefully get the Golden Boot!

Would be lovely for him to get it but I have the fear about him or any of the front three getting injured ahead of the play-offs. We have the best front three in the league, but probably the biggest drop-off in terms of quality between them and Salim, Dixon and McGregor on the bench. If any of Gal, Smith or McGill get injured we are SO fucked. Wouldn't mind seeing all three of them rested or only playing bit parts on Saturday and next weekend. McCabe strikes me as the sort of manager though who'll want to 'go for it' so I reckon he'll play a strong(ish) at least team on Saturday, taking into account any knocks. And I'm probably more likely to come on than Salim or Dixon so it will probably only be McGregor who gets a proper run these next couple of games anyway! 

Wouldn't be bothered seeing the likes of Telfer, Stanway, Big Byrd *gulp* and Deveney get a runout. 

30 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

3-3, gal first half hat-trick then subbed, Queens pegging back every time, 2 wonder goals, a QOS red card, entertaining game for the fans, take the point, shake hands and move on.

deal?

Yes please considering I predicted a 3-3 draw a few days ago on the P&B prediction league! 😆

Difficult to be concerned about this game and the next one as others have said.

It's important that our best players get to the playoffs in best condition. I can see the argument to put them in cotton wool but I think Rhys will put out a strong squad side. Given it was the Palmerston defeat which led to our change of defence and midfield, it would seem a shame to " weaken" our recent form but I have mixed feelings about what to do.

Hope Queens are in end of season mood .

Not predicted yet for the thread but I've been slipping down that League so need a few more days to mull over it. 

Just now, Artemis said:

Queens have been in end of season mood for the most part since July.

I can agree with that vis a vis most of the League, except Edinburgh whatever, and also the games against us have seen Queens having the edge in most ways : that opening game was the hottest day I've ever encountered in Scottish football! Cheers 

36 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Queens have got half of their points total from Edinburgh and Peterhead.
24 points from 8 games v them. 24 points from 26 games against everybody else.

And half of those other 24 points came from Clyde (7) and Airdrie (5).

The others are Alloa (4), Montrose (4), Falkirk (3), Dunfermline (1). We haven't got any points at all from Kelty.

Genuinely think Queens have underachieved this season. I was really impressed with them in the 1-1 game at the start of the season and thought they looked a cut above in the second half.

I’m desperate to get out of L1 this season as a well-connected Marvin Bartley will have Queens up and running next season. 

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

... We haven't got any points at all from Kelty.

Absolutely no offence intended to Kelty (they have some more than decent players in their squad tbf) but that's a dreadful statistic ... to have dropped down from the Championship and to not have been able to take a single point from any of the three of the games to date against one of the league's less fancied sides ... that pretty well encapsulates our first season down here ... if we make it nil points from all four games against Kelty on the last day of the season then that would be just abject failure.

2 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

.... as a well-connected Marvin Bartley will have Queens up and running next season. 

I so hope you are correct.  It's a big ask though.

47 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Genuinely think Queens have underachieved this season. I was really impressed with them in the 1-1 game at the start of the season and thought they looked a cut above in the second half.

I’m desperate to get out of L1 this season as a well-connected Marvin Bartley will have Queens up and running next season.

I don't think there's the slightest doubt we've underachieved this season in big picture terms. We're a full time club with 20 of the past 21 years at Championship level and at the very least the 3rd biggest budget in the division and we've not even seriously flirted with promotion. We've spent 32 out of 34 weeks so far in the bottom half (2 recent brief weeks in 5th).

I'm not sure the extent to which the current squad really has under-achieved in playing terms. It's got plenty of good footballers who on their day can be very creative and play teams off the pitch. We've matched up well against some of the less physical sides such as Edinburgh and Airdrie when given time and space to play football. But we lack serious 'b*****ds', prepared to battle for every yard when it comes to it and have folded weakly at times when other teams stand up and be counted. We've picked up a bit second half of the season with Bartley instilling a more stamina & energy based approach and the likes of Brydon coming in and actually being prepared to throw himself at everything and anything that comes near him but there hasn't been enough of it and he's a 19 year old who still makes mistakes like on Saturday which will keep him out for the rest of the season.

It was always unlikely we were going to blow this division away the way we did when we popped down for a year in 12/13 with Dunfermline and Falkirk down here too (and Airdrie at least miles better than anyone else we faced back then too - the progress of clubs like Queen's Park and Cove and return to top level of Rangers and Livingston has meant League One level has a far deeper level of quality  than it did back then too). However, it appears we focused too much last summer on good footballers and not enough on hard work and determination. We're crying out for a Benedictus, maybe even a Donaldson, Fontaine or Fordyce, to lead by example at the back or a McGinn to do so from midfield.

On the positive side, I don't have any doubt Bartley knows exactly what we need and who he wants. He needs to actually get enough of them though. It's seems likely this division will be slightly weaker next season. Dunfermline are gone and will be replaced either by a Cove or Hamilton side heading backwards. One of Falkirk, Airdrie or Hamilton / Cove (Arbroath) won't be here either (watch Alloa now prove me wrong but I don't see them winning a playoff - I didn't see Queens Park or Edinburgh winning theirs last year either though and they did). Both Kelty and Edinburgh are undergoing ownership / funding changes which may reduce their budgets. Neither Stirling nor whoever wins the other playoff is likely to buy their way through this division the way Cove and Queen's Park did before them. I'm optimistic for next season. These next two games though? Just need to get them out of the way, we'll be missing 40% of the defence we've been playing every week for the last three months too. If Airdrie field their first team on Saturday and go all out for the win they'll likely put right the fact that they've not beaten us this season yet.

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

Queens have conceded 57 goals in 33 games which is more than they did last season in the Championship. Only Peterhead and Clyde have conceded more.
Five teams from nine have had their highest score of the season v Queens - Dunfermline; Falkirk*; Alloa*; Kelty** and Clyde.
Clyde scored 36% of their away goals for the season so far in a single game at Palmerston.
No points v Kelty and an aggregate score of 1-6 in 3 games.

Hard to believe that this is a full-time team playing in the third tier.

*Joint with Peterhead
**Joint with Peterhead and Falkirk

Aye, dreadful stats, just dreadful ... and some of them think they deserve new contracts for next season?  I'd suggest the majority are about to be told they should multiply and head forth ...

9 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Without a doubt. SD has basically summed it up. It's been a complete car crash and we've never looked like challenging. 

We have some technically ok footballers but we really don't have any hatchet types which you really need at this level. I've been impressed with Brydon so far; he seems like a no nonsense CB. An experienced CB alongside him is a good start. 

There's plenty for me to be optimistic about next season since Bartley came in. Hopefully he's identified players he wants and can build a solid squad. I'm fully expecting us to be top 4 next season. There can't be any excuses if we fail a second time given the league is looking likely to be weaker than this season.