SOS League winners

2 hours ago, Dev said:

Best team in their league for sure, and this season Linlithgow Rose are outstanding in the EoS. However, are they outstanding when compared with the leading licenced clubs in the WoS e.g. Darvel, Pollok, Auchinleck Talbot, Clydebank etc? Nope!

Outstanding? Maybe not. But in the absence of a licenced WoSL champion for them to play against there'll be nothing to say they are, as you imply, worse.

Get back to me when a WoSL team actually reaches the Lowland League.

1 hour ago, rockson said:

Outstanding? Maybe not. But in the absence of a licenced WoSL champion for them to play against there'll be nothing to say they are, as you imply, worse.

3 hours ago, Dev said:

Linlithgow Rose are outstanding in the EoS. However, are they outstanding when compared with the leading licenced clubs in the WoS e.g. Darvel, Pollok, Auchinleck Talbot, Clydebank etc? Nope!

People said that last season... only for Tranent to demolish St Cuthbert 7-0 while Darvel struggled past them 3-1, before dispatching Darvel 2-0 on their own patch.

3 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Good to see so many posters on the South West Forum. 

But, would be nice if some of the posts were about the SOS. 😁😁😁

To bring it back to SOSFL and the potential league winner, it seems like it might be a straight shootout between a licensed and unlicensed team for the championship. Potentially a harder run-in for Creetown however, going by Match reports, Abbey Vale could be without their goalkeeper and one outfielder which could make for an interesting conclusion. 

34 minutes ago, south fan 5 said:

To bring it back to SOSFL and the potential league winner, it seems like it might be a straight shootout between a licensed and unlicensed team for the championship. Potentially a harder run-in for Creetown however, going by Match reports, Abbey Vale could be without their goalkeeper and one outfielder which could make for an interesting conclusion. 

Vale are firing on all cylinders. Scoring goals for fun and gave Luncarty a real game last weekend.

Creetown are scraping wins and looked tired and devoid of ideas against Threave.

Vale's superior goal difference might be the deciding factor at the end.

Good to have you on board. Hopefully the inclusion of Star next season will increase the exposure on here.

1 hour ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Vale are firing on all cylinders. Scoring goals for fun and gave Luncarty a real game last weekend.

Stranraer scored for fun on Saturday, no?

Just shows you never know what will happen, the league is Vales to lose though.

6 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Creetown are scraping wins and looked tired and devoid of ideas against Threave.

Vale's superior goal difference might be the deciding factor at the end.

Good to have you on board. Hopefully the inclusion of Star next season will increase the exposure on here.

Are Dalbeattie in the SOS league next season ?

3 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Are Dalbeattie in the SOS league next season ?

Everything we hear suggests this. At start of each season all LL teams know where they will be relegated to. And Star are heading South, unless they apply to the West, which I understand they can do if they wish.

But no-one has heard or said anything about this.

So South it is.

8 hours ago, outsider said:

Stranraer scored for fun on Saturday, no?

Just shows you never know what will happen, the league is Vales to lose though.

I knew someone would dig me up for this. 🤗

Deliberately didn't mention it as was in Potts Cup. So no idea if Vale were totally committed in game. We will see on Wed in the Counties Cup v Braves how they respond.

3 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Everything we hear suggests this. At start of each season all LL teams know where they will be relegated to. And Star are heading South, unless they apply to the West, which I understand they can do if they wish.

But no-one has heard or said anything about this.

So South it is.

Did Threave have that option too ?

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

Did Threave have that option too ?

I am sure when Threave left the LL the West and East were not part of the Pyramid, East maybe showing rumblings. Threave resigned from the LL, not relegated,  so don't know if that limited there options if there were any options

52 minutes ago, Sermani said:

I am sure when Threave left the LL the West and East were not part of the Pyramid, East maybe showing rumblings. Threave resigned from the LL, not relegated,  so don't know if that limited there options if there were any options

As far as I can remember Threave's only option back then was to go South, being a member of the Southern Counties FA. Which they still are, enabling them to still participate in the South cups. They have a Cree Lodge Final to look forward to.

As a wee extra for @annan4eva and @Sermani

From my limited knowledge of the ins and outs.

If Star wished to go to the West, like Threave they would have to apply and enter at Tier 10.

The same would happen for Gretna if they were relegated and for any future South clubs applying West.

I may be wrong in this just what I have picked up elsewhere. But I don't have access to any officials in the West, so please don't take this as gospel.

The South and East were part of the pyramid from the very beginning. As Threave voluntarily left the Lowland. I guess on paper they had the option of applying to either one if they wanted to stay in the senior football, but there was only one that made sense.

One of main reasons for Threave resigning from LLland was monies and being competitive if I  recall correctly, so to apply East would have made no sense financially.

40 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

As a wee extra for @annan4eva and @Sermani

From my limited knowledge of the ins and outs.

If Star wished to go to the West, like Threave they would have to apply and enter at Tier 10.

The same would happen for Gretna if they were relegated and for any future South clubs applying West.

I may be wrong in this just what I have picked up elsewhere. But I don't have access to any officials in the West, so please don't take this as gospel.

Makes sense for Dalbeattie, Threave to be in SOS and would improve the league IMO. Barring something extraordinary Gretna will be joining them the season after. 

10 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Makes sense for Dalbeattie, Threave to be in SOS and would improve the league IMO. Barring something extraordinary Gretna will be joining them the season after. 

Even though they are earmarked to join the SOS would they want to join?  When the 2008 were formed they were denied entry to the SOS so joined the East,  think they are still members of the East FA

16 minutes ago, Sermani said:

Even though they are earmarked to join the SOS would they want to join?  When the 2008 were formed they were denied entry to the SOS so joined the East,  think they are still members of the East FA

I mean a lot has changed since 2008.

What suits them as a Lowland League club might not apply whenever they face the prospect of relegation. Right now their only commitment to the EoSFA is the Qualifying Cup so it's hardly demanding. Potentially a one off cup tie against a decent opponent. Stops them being idle on a weekend with so many EoSFA members in the league. 

Didn't they just lose their manager who was meant to be more Edinburgh based? Who knows, a new management team might switch the recruitment focus.

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

I have made my opinion on SOS and WOS clear in the past.

At the inception of the WOS, there should have been a plan in place to amalgamate the 2 Leagues. I know it's not a universally popular viewpoint, hasnt stopped me supporting both SOS and WOS when the horses allow.

17 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I mean a lot has changed since 2008.

What suits them as a Lowland League club might not apply whenever they face the prospect of relegation. Right now their only commitment to the EoSFA is the Qualifying Cup so it's hardly demanding. Potentially a one off cup tie against a decent opponent. Stops them being idle on a weekend with so many EoSFA members in the league. 

Didn't they just lose their manager who was meant to be more Edinburgh based? Who knows, a new management team might switch the recruitment focus.

Seemingly they have been training in Edinburgh this season. Locally based management team coming in next season, allegedly