SOS League winners

Gretna are a shambles. So out of touch with the community, the region, everything. They only think of the money, don’t care about anything else. One of the main cheerleaders for B teams as well. Thankfully the South has better run clubs than that mob. Run by Cumbrians, they’ll no doubt apply to the Westmorland league at this rate. 

They had quite a few loyal fans at the start in 2008 and just pissed them off to where people south of the border are now in control. Once a few locals get back involved, hopefully they find their identity again. With that current crop of players they have, they will be mid table at best in the south league. They also love to slag off the quality of players in the region, apparently Carlisle Saturday amateurs would be better than some of our league players 🤥 😂 Hope they get relegated with less points then Dalbeattie had next season. 

44 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:

Gretna are a shambles. So out of touch with the community, the region, everything. They only think of the money, don’t care about anything else. One of the main cheerleaders for B teams as well. Thankfully the South has better run clubs than that mob. Run by Cumbrians, they’ll no doubt apply to the Westmorland league at this rate. 

They had quite a few loyal fans at the start in 2008 and just pissed them off to where people south of the border are now in control. Once a few locals get back involved, hopefully they find their identity again. With that current crop of players they have, they will be mid table at best in the south league. They also love to slag off the quality of players in the region, apparently Carlisle Saturday amateurs would be better than some of our league players 🤥 😂 Hope they get relegated with less points then Dalbeattie had next season. 

LLland for this pish. 😁😁😁

Have never seen Gretna but do hear around the SOS games that they are not to everyones liking.

Can the SOS refuse to accept them?

2 hours ago, Jamie92 said:

Who is in charge of running Gretna ?

On 01/05/2023 at 15:59, Sermani said:

Locally based management team coming in next season, allegedly

I did wonder why Dan Carmichael was an unused sub at the weekend 👀

On 02/05/2023 at 10:06, Jamie92 said:

They had quite a few loyal fans at the start in 2008 and just pissed them off

I was on the committee once upon an time and, in truth, the original chairman was the architect of the downfall with his attitude at times. They currently appear, based on matchday experience, to be run by a good group but engagement is otherwise nonexistent 

3 hours ago, Derry Pele said:

I did wonder why Dan Carmichael was an unused sub at the weekend 👀

I was on the committee once upon a time and, in truth, the original chairman was the architect of the downfall with his attitude at times. They currently appear, based on matchday experience, to be run by a good group but engagement is otherwise nonexistent 

Dan should be starting out that team, unless he was carrying a knock. 

I’d like to see some locals get involved, need their identity back. Pretty sure one of the guys on their committee has said the last 3 seasons “This will be the year” when in fact it’s fallen flat on its face and struggle to even get a starting 11.

On 02/05/2023 at 10:52, HorseyGhirl said:

LLland for this pish. 😁😁😁

Have never seen Gretna but do hear around the SOS games that they are not to everyones liking.

Can the SOS refuse to accept them?

As a matter of interest, do both Abbey Vale & Lochar make up their team with on loan QOS players ? 

You seemed the best to ask.

27 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

As a matter of interest, do both Abbey Vale & Lochar make up their team with on loan QOS players ? 

You seemed the best to ask.

Only seen them both a few times. And would not claim to be in the know.

Both Queens and Stranraer seem to 'use' the South Teams to farm out some of their youngsters. This gets them decent competitive game time, playing with and against a good variety of adults. 

Vale do have boys from Queens no knowledge of who Lochar may have. Don't ask me their names I forget 5mins after I'm told.

Am not aware of either having a policy of loaning out any of the 'adult' players to the SOS.

11 minutes ago, south fan 5 said:

I believe AV have 1 loanee from QOS and LT have 3 from QOS and 1 from Annan.

The right back at Vale for certain I also thought one of the young forwards. But as I said I am no authority. Just ask about players that impress when at games.

1 hour ago, HorseyGhirl said:

The right back at Vale for certain I also thought one of the young forwards. But as I said I am no authority. Just ask about players that impress when at games.

Thank you

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Thank you

I'm nobody special my friend. Just a fan who loves his football no matter how good or bad. More than happy to go watch a variety of teams. Always interested to find out about the players and setup. So as I can talk for Scotland and Ireland find it easy to chat with fans and officials at the clubs.

There is one QoS player currently on loan to Abbey Vale, 17 year old right back Jay Burns, who joined them in February.

There are three currently on loan to Lochar Thistle. 19 year old midfielder Andy Oram (who dislocated his shoulder v NS on Monday) has been on loan all season. 16 year old midfielder Finlay Kennedy (whose dad is assistant manager there I think) joined them in March for the rest of the season. 21 year old forward Jamie Armstrong who joined us from Penrith in January, was immediately farmed out there too. Nathan Naylor was on loan there 1st half of the season but left in December.

QoS Commercial & Community Manager Dan Armstrong also plays for Lochar Thistle.

Both clubs also have a number of other ex QoS players of course.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There is one QoS player currently on loan to Abbey Vale, 17 year old right back Jay Burns, who joined them in February.

There are three currently on loan to Lochar Thistle. 19 year old midfielder Andy Oram (who dislocated his shoulder v NS on Monday) has been on loan all season. 16 year old midfielder Finlay Kennedy (whose dad is assistant manager there I think) joined them in March for the rest of the season. 21 year old forward Jamie Armstrong who joined us from Penrith in January, was immediately farmed out there too. Nathan Naylor was on loan there 1st half of the season but left in December.

QoS Commercial & Community Manager Dan Armstrong also plays for Lochar Thistle.

Both clubs also have a number of other ex QoS players of course.

Cheers for that.

I'm going to say it without fear of getting egg on my face Monday evening.

Congratulations to all at Abbey Vale a wonderful achievement for the village.

15 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I'm going to say it without fear of getting egg on my face Monday evening.

Congratulations to all at Abbey Vale a wonderful achievement for the village.

Really how many players are homegrown?

8 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Really how many players are homegrown?

if you wrote this to stir up a debate fair enough but, Abbey Vale plays their home games in New Abbey, probably due to the lack of suitable pitches in Dumfries, hence the club name! As far as I know, their players are drawn from nearby Dumfries and the surrounding areas. Probably the last real village team to win the South league was Tarff Rovers in the early 1960s pre easy access to Rangers and Celtic games on a Saturday! The next generation in the village was 95% female so how can you cope with that? 

Newton Stewart has probably the most home-based players this season in the league due to the excellent youth policy of the Galloway Thistle and long may that continue.( Feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

Don't really get this comment about teams not being local these days.

The SOS is a semi-professional league not a village/pub league where traditionally teams were made up of local lads.

The boys play for Abbey Vale and thus represent the village of New Abbey, so the village and surrounding areas are perfectly entitled to call it their success.

When I lived I the East Midlands; some teams had players not only from different towns/villages but differing countries. Who really cares let's just enjoy the football.