Elgin City vs Dumbarton

Outcome?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/04/23 at 14:00

30 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

Also disappointing form going into play offs

goals gave dried up across the team 

Goals haven’t exactly been flowing all season.

let’s not be too cut up about a meaningless game. We’ve shown a few times this season we can raise it when needed

Not much to say about the actual game today. Dumbarton played like a team with nothing to play for and offered very little. Elgin had everything to play for and in truth offered very little too! However, a last minute winner is always great but when it keeps your team in the league after they have been in absolute free fall it gives one of those moments that will live in the memory for a long time! Poor game, great result and a load of adults dancing around like dafties - almost makes the suffering worthwhile! Cmon City!!

Brilliant summing up by Briggsy’s Ghost.

I had a feeling something was going to happen late in the game. Congratulations to Elgin for surviving as I had low confidence they would. Ross Draper was superb again and delighted he got the goal to keep us up. Ithink Albion will be in the playoffs  but are fully capable of beating Spartans or Brechin.

Next year is going to be hard but new signings are required to freshen up and improve the team if we are to avoid a similar situation. Good luck to whoever is the new manager in attracting quality players to Elgin as he will need it!

Fair play to Elgin they did what they needed to do.  Dumbarton looked like a team that knew that if they lose it counted for nothing.  Elgin have secured L2 status for next season but the warning signs have been there for them.  They need to build on this and avoid a similar situation next season.  I hope they do.  

Edited by Tonystenny

I think that first half might have been the worst half of fitba I've ever seen. Eye bleeding. Remarkable how it was a dead rubber for Dumbarton and an absolute must win for us and yet both teams were fucking hopeless. 

Not sure a last minute goal has meant quite as much. Absolute scenes at the end. Totally worth it. It took me a good 10 minutes of sitting in Tesco car park for my heart rate to come down at the end.

Zero quality in the game but you can’t fault their desire and bottle though. Well done Elgin. Great scenes after the goal.

Make or break summer for the club though. New general manager and manager required. A major overhaul is required, that’s a 9th and 8/9th place finish in last two seasons. We are on a downward spiral and if recruitment is not good this summer there is not much further down we can go. Heard Hester is off to Cove in the summer so hope that is not on the cheap and we use any money wisely.

Tell you what might have been missed in all the celebrations at the end. Russell Dingwall did absolutely brilliant to chase down a breakaway at the very end before the free kick that won it for us. He not only stopped the break but somehow managed to keep possession and start the Elgin attack ended up winning the game. Happened right in front of me. Truly a brilliant piece of skill and desire.

Edited by Super Elgin City

35 minutes ago, Clarko_son said:

Love scenes like that. Although why were Elgin wearing their away kit instead of us? Did we turn up with only the home kit? Was our kit man having his last day today?

14 minutes ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

The kit we’ve worn at home this season seems to have been dictated by what has been washed in time! We’ve worn that one a few times for no discernible reason!

Fair enough. I was referring to a time a few years ago when we were away to Stenny and turned up with our red away kit. It was our kit man's last day in the job and we ended up wearing a circa five year old Stenny away kit. 

3 hours ago, 1993 said:

Zero quality in the game but you can’t fault their desire and bottle though. Well done Elgin. Great scenes after the goal.

Make or break summer for the club though. New general manager and manager required. A major overhaul is required, that’s a 9th and 8/9th place finish in last two seasons. We are on a downward spiral and if recruitment is not good this summer there is not much further down we can go. Heard Hester is off to Cove in the summer so hope that is not on the cheap and we use any money wisely.

Forgot to say, great turn out of Dumbarton fans for what was more or less a meaningless game for them👏

I'll add my tuppence for what it's worth. Draper's goal gave me nearly the same feeling when we beat Dundee at Dens a few years ago, only difference was the tears didn't flow. According to my wife and daughter, I couldn't string a sentence together when I phoned them afterwards.

The first half was poor and losing Mailer to an injury early on was a blow. The second half was different however, with Elgin playing with more urgency especially in the last 20 min. Don't know if the players were aware that at one stage Albion were leading, putting us bottom, to them losing. 

Hopefully this will be a wake up for the club an whatever monies made from the Scottish Cup run can be used wisely and we can at least make the promotion playoffs next season. A crowd of over 700 was excellent as well.

Not convinced that the foul before the goal was actually a foul. Elgin guilty of diving for the entire game. That said, they took their chance. We didnt test the Elgin keeper in any serious way. It was good to get Broun a game and he was fine. If we had to play him in the play-offs then its 90 minutes under his belt and he didnt do anything that would give us cause to worry. Typical threatening run when Gray was brought on in the 2nd half. He's going to be key for us in the play-offs as opponents really aren't comfortable when he runs at them. Does a lot of work tracking back too.

Borough Briggs is a decent ground for the lower leagues. 2 stands, one with seats and the other covered terracing. A good wee social club for before the game. Proper grass pitch that isnt on a huge slope. Good to see them staying up. The difficulty for clubs like Elgin is that there's probably enough local rivals in the Highland League to make a drop down a level just as attractive financially as trips to Stranraer and Annan. On the other hand, there's an argument that another team in that area going up  would be good for football in the highlands. Another local rivalry and a chance to expand the league a bit. I'd much rather see another highland league team from that part of the world step up than B teams being shoehorned into the league. Opportunities for young players in the area to develop and be part of the professional game. Nairn and Forres both with populations of about 10,000 - Both would face the same problems leaving behind local rivals, but I'd rather see that as a way of developing the game in Scotland than Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen B.

Decent potential in Elgin and in that part of Scotland.